Refreshing the chironomid box.

The ABS (anti-lock braking system) midge pupa is for fishing lite-lines for big fish! A very important fly that should never be confused with the ASB (anti-static bag) midge pupa for targeting triploids or other techy fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I just love those techy fish.

Are bluegills considered techy?

Old406Kid

Mike,
Thanks for motivating (actually guilting) me to get my butt in gear.
I figure it's that or anchor up between you and Kaiserman and beg.:D
Seems lately that most of my tying has been at midnight the night before.

Mike,
Thanks for motivating (actually guilting) me to get my butt in gear.
I figure it's that or anchor up between you and Kaiserman and beg.:D
Seems lately that most of my tying has been at midnight the night before.
Won't need to beg Kid! My tying has been late night as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great Job Mike!
One of my favs is the pheasant tail mid similar to your red ones. I think Brian Chan is the author of that one, I may not be 100% on that. Tied small, sz 18 with a brush of frog fanny, it makes a killer emerger during warmer weather.

Here's one of my standards for fishing up in the water column or the shallows. Unweighted with a pheasant tail body. I usually fish it off a slow intermediate line and a "do nothing" retrieve. Just twist enough line to keep it tight.
IMG_3319.JPG IMG_3320.JPG IMG_3324.JPG

Hey TP, that looks like Antron... but is it "fanned out" more, or did you use less than one bundle? <- Not sure that made sense.

Anyway, those will be perfect for the shallows I'll hit this spring!

I only used chironomids twice (I think) last year, and in the shallows, I got two fish on a brown chiro. That's what really has me going all out this year!

"We" thank you for posting.

Here's how I tie in the antron "gills". Learned from Tim Irish at Worley Bugger a couple years ago. The entire video is good info but the demo on how to create a "swept back split wing" start at 5:00.