more hatchery science

Klickrolf

Saw it posted on speypages a while ago. Interesting, it'd be good to have access to the original study to see how the conclusions came about. I don't doubt it but it doesn't help much wrt to steelhead hatcheries. The study might suggest spending tax and rate payer's money on hatchery fish doesn't make sense but I doubt it'll change anything. Most of us understand and the biomagnetics wouldn't be a surprise. Hatchery smolts are extremely unlikely to return as adults...as it's always been.

freestoneangler

Not to be confused with Freestone
Heard about their internal GPS units getting fouled. What if we find out it's all the EMF that's been introduced from cell phones and WiFi that is causing them to run amuck? If it gets down to having steelhead or I-phones, I think the fish are screwed.

No conspiracy. There are studies suggesting that very thing -- EMF having ill effects on bee's to people. Does the thought of losing your electronic binky's in order to save steelhead concern you? ;)
please link said "study"

i need a good laugh this morning

Chem trails are responsible for steelhead and salmon decline not indians ontheir cellphones running a gill net across the river
precisely, dem damn chemtrails!!!

well this thread was informative for a whole 2 posts, nicely done

Chris Bellows

Your Preferred WFF Poster
this is great. wdfw will now spend millions retrofitting all of the iron pipes in their hatcheries to increase returns of hatchery fish. of course all that money will be spent and they'll spend even more money trying to figure out the next hatchery solution when it is determined it isn't the iron pipes. win-win for the hatchery industrial complex.

plaegreid

Saved by the buoyancy of citrus
Does the thought of losing your electronic binky's in order to save steelhead concern you? ;)
I think it would be great if I "had" to turn off/leave behind my cell phone. No calls saying it's time to come home, no texts buzzing when I'm trying to cast, no d-bags yelling into their phones as they float by... I'm for it.

I think it would be great if I "had" to turn off/leave behind my cell phone. No calls saying it's time to come home, no texts buzzing when I'm trying to cast, no d-bags yelling into their phones as they float by... I'm for it.
i carry mine in areas of no service because 2 reason, pics if i have the time and for when i eventually get bit by a rattlesnake i can call for help, 911 apparently works even in areas of no service, or at least i hope that is true...

plaegreid

Saved by the buoyancy of citrus
i carry mine in areas of no service because 2 reason, pics if i have the time and for when i eventually get bit by a rattlesnake i can call for help, 911 apparently works even in areas of no service, or at least i hope that is true...

911 is a good reason to carry it I reckon. I quit using my phone for pictures when I dropped one in the sound. :(

Salmo_g

I wonder how this comports with the fact that hatchery steelhead smolt to adult return rates were much higher before hatcheries were updated from ductile iron pipe plumbing to PVC. On the scale of limiting factors I think this is another example of one that rates pretty low.

Sg