change of plans heading to skykomish tomorrow urgent advice needed for noobs

Change of plans heading to skykomish river tomorrow. Where should we head for steelhead and/or trout. Leaving tomorrow morning and we don't know shit....

Old Man

Just an Old Man
I don't believe that the river is in any shape for much of any fishing. The best for wade fishing is when the river is at about 6 feet on the gauge at GoldBar. It is about at 8 feet according to the river flows chart. As fast as it is flowing, I wouldn't want to fall in.

If I was going to do any skinny water fishing, I wouldn't choose the Skykomish. I would check out some of the smaller tribs. Like the Beckler, Rapid river, Money creek and things of that nature.

E

Evan Virnoche

They welcome swung flies and step methodically down the run so u can cover every lie.

Fish are spread out through the whole river right now so any float is a good one. Watch out for sleds down low and remember that some people have no etiquette. So don't let it get to you if three guys free drift over your swinging water. With that in mind swing on. Fish are still in a little slow but grabby if you get it to them. Found most my fish in the boulder strewn runs as opposed to the deep sexy water. go with something medium or smaller. I prefer dark intruder/ leech style flies but anything in the size 10-2 should produce.

I think I can count on one hand the amount of jet boats I've encountered on that river that follow proper boating etiquette that actually slow down, go around, etc. Mostly there all dicks. Occasionally you get really nice guys that see your fly fishing and get intentionally close to you or anchor up right in front of you. Also look out for BNSF cops. And tweakers.