9lb G.L steel

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by kruggy1, Apr 5, 2009.

1. shotgunner

shotgunner Anywhere ~ Anytime

No shit????????

I think you missed my point. We Were discussing a diverse fishery over an enormous region, not fish advisorys. Yes there are advisorys, never denied that. I took offense at your suggestion that the entire place was one big cesspool waiting for an errant spark to ignite it. Comments like "The GLs are still a toxic waste dump, only the water doesn't catch on fire "literally" every couple of years and your skin won't peel off if you wet wade anymore" only serve to illustrate your true ignorant comprehension of the region. I have no idea how much you've seen or fished but I'm guessing it resembled an old folks cross country bus tour of the Grand Canyon.. 'Yeah, I seen all that' and so you did.. a minute portion from the Interstate through a window.

Please save your condescending health commentary for the boys in your real home town.

2. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!

Home Page:
    When I was a kid I spent half of my life near Lake Ontario, east of Rochester NY and all the way up to the Watertown area. Back in the 1950's and well into the 1970's the lake water was so turbid that there was virtually no visibility. And it was a toxic soup too. Then the clean water act came along and changed everything. The Salmon River, a tributary of Lake Ontario, once carried the largest runs of Atlantic Salmon in the USA. That was long before industrialization and the locks at St Lawrence, the Dams etc. The fish were extirpated by overharvest. I would love to see someone put the time and effort into restablishing the native fish runs there. Of course that would mean an end to the hatchery runs of pacific salmon and rainbows. You couldnt have both.

Right now the entire Great Lakes region is addicted to hatchery fish and the huge economy that has resulted from manufacturing those fish for sport angling. And as noted previously the fish are doing fine at establishing their own spawning territories and runs. The water quality is much better now than it was fifty years ago. But it still carries toxins from human activities and wastes. But so does Puget Sound, and there are health advisories in every single state in America, at both state and EPA levels of determination. Some say the warnings are not strict enough. The seafood industry fights this advisory system. The average citizen is unaware.

I think that the worst thing about having artificial Steelhead runs anywhere, including here in the Pacific Northwest, is that people begin to take wild runs of fish for granted. They dont even miss them.

3. Be Jofus G

Be Jofus G Banned or Parked

Enormous region? :LMFAO: Not even close to enormous to a steelhead. In fact considering their typical range the great lakes are quite tiny. And I never said it was waiting for an errant spark to ignight it. If fact I said...
    Has the mercury trashed you reading comprehension skills as well? I have by no means done the tourist route fishing those waters, although I will admit my home waters are along the New York PA and Ohio side of Erie. I was a technology consultant who's primary focus was heavy industry in the region. I spent quite a bit of time fishing all over the great lakes, US and Canada side while I was traveling for business. I fished with the locals that I worked with. I also have family all over the region and fished with them when I couldn't find any one else to fish with. You can try and knock my credentials. Whatever. The people here i have fished with as well as people in the GL region know I know my way around a rod/reel and a steelhead . Yes the lakes look pretty and after bleaching the hell out of the water you can drink it without immediatly keeling over. Do some research 1 on the history of those lakes and 2 on the lifecycle of a steelhead. I'm trying to help you. Heavy metals DO NOT LEAVE. They do not dissapate. They do not dissappear because you stop dumping them into the water. They are in the food chain and they are there to stay. Hormones from farm and sweage runnoff are not filterable. They are in some cases de sexing the fish. I wonder what it does to the people who eat the fish? The steelhead can not run and hide in the ocean from the stuff. They are landlocked. I understand you are a homer and are very proud of your region apparently, but use some common sense man. Those lakes were all trashed over the last 200 years.

4. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Where is the "popping some popcorn for the next round" smiles icon?

5. Jeremy Floyd

Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

remind me never to use bolds when replying to Be_J..

6. Be Jofus G

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Attached Files:

7. Ed Call

Holy shit, the water is on fire! I saw some news reports 30 or so years ago about some fires like these in the GL region...I lived in IN at the time. I'm glad all that water quality is on the improving swing.

8. Be Jofus G

Yes, I did mean, the water doesn't catch on fire anymore "literally"

9. GeorgeMcfly

GeorgeMcfly Great Lakes Steelhead Slayer

I also fish the great lakes region. I am kruggy1's friend. I heard about this site from him and decided to check it out but was surprised at all hostility of this post. whats wrong with great lakes steelies? I don't care if you call them a steelhead or a trout or even if you don't even call them fish. they sure are fun to catch! read um and weep! :rofl:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Ed Call

Welcome, nice fish. You look familiar. The first and last fish have a strange ratio of head to body with too large a head. All the ones in the middle are damn fine fish. Keep catching them. Do you eat them too?

11. GeorgeMcfly

thanks for the welcome! I never eat any. just catch and release all the way. also fish for smallmouth bass in the same river but C&R them also. I will eat lake erie perch tho. heres a few more monsters and a few pics of spots we fish. the water don't seem dirty to me???? prolly not as clean as out west but good enough for us guys. its all we have. too me its very beautiful. I can't even begin to imagine the rivers out west! cherish your rivers for all they are worth! I do the same to mine!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. ChrisC

ChrisC Active Member

Look, if the "quality" of Great Lakes fishing is a small but significant factor in keeping additional hordes of people moving here and further crowding our beloved waters, let them call these fish whatever they want.;)

13. GeorgeMcfly

if I could afford it I'd be there! trust me! but until then I have 2 rivers off the erie within 15 mins from me that hold these huge fish. :thumb: I guess we are pretty lucky in a way as we don't have to travel 1,000's of miles to get into these fish. they are in are backyard. couldn't ask for much more in life! ;)

14. Ed Call

Road Trip! Party at McFly's place. When is the run at its best and do you or the misses make a mean breakfast?

15. GeorgeMcfly

haha! I am not one to be tied down with a mrs. women come and go but fishing is always there! I am a fish pimp. my moms can make eggs and bacon if need be tho. lol! haha. spring can be a fun time out here! fall can be great time too if you go a lil farther east and fish about a hour or 2 away from us. I think the east guys have it easy tho! heard of them having 200 fish in a single hole! I have seem maybe 15 at most in my home river. we have a problem with silt in the river so thats why we have stockers. that and the hot summer weather isn't too great for steelhead reproduction.