Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

A clever idea from a novel about how to secure your favorite fishing spot.

NFR 
3K views 45 replies 18 participants last post by  Freestone 
#1 ·
Actually it IS kind of fishing related once you read on.

I am reading a really good book "Celine" (about an older, feisty, and fearless Private Investigator.) It's written by Peter Heller who wrote "The Painter" (another really good book). If you love quirky, intelligent characters and a bit of mystery - for example the book, "A Man Called Ove", check this one out.

Celine is looking for a man who may have staged his own death in Montana by a grizzly. She finds the tracker who investigated the attack, Ellie Chicksaw. He tells her he had seen many weird things tracking. And this part that he shares with her cracked me up. And since i thought it was an ingenious plot to keep people away from your sacred and secret fishing spot i wanted to post it here: (Probably some of you already had this idea!)

"I knew an eccentric painter once in Colorado who carved a set of huge clawed tracks and glued fur between the toes and bolted them to a pair of running shoes. Jim Wagner was the character. He stomped all over the mudbank of his favorite fishing hole and it worked. Scared the crap out of everybody and he had the place to himself. People thought he was crazy for fishing there in the evening. "

Buzzy, since you liked Ove, i think you will like this book too. It's very well written. Many fun characters i wish who really were people i could call up.

See less See more
#6 ·
I read the book a "a life well wasted" or something like that about a fly fishing guide. They showed up to their favorite run to find a group already there. They were on a Indian Reservation. The guide started warhooping and shooting his gun in the air. The other group took off fast. It made me chuckle, because I could see it happening where I mostly fish.

#13 ·
Thank you b_illymac! I found it and put a recommend at the library. thank you! Or i may just buy it from Amazon. I want to read "Dog Star" by Heller next weiliwen. He really is a good writer from the two books i've read. He lives in Colorado and has also written for Outdoor magazine. I bet he fishes too. What i love about his books, aside from his characters, is that he has a great way of describing even small things.

I read a lot and (except i think Buzzy here outreads me) and i am pretty picky. I have to like at least some of the characters or i have to enjoy hating the villainous ones.

If i fly fished like i read i would be Freestone!

Attachments

#28 ·
Thank you Alivia.... i am starting to read it now. Got it on my iPad from the library. So far it kind of reminds me of "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy. (Buzzy is the one who told me about that book.)

#37 · (Edited)
From the very first page in Dog Star he is pissed off that there are no more trout.

"If i ever wake up crying in the middle of a dream, and I’m not saying I did, it’s because the trout are gone every one. Brookies, rainbows, browns, cutthroats, cutbows, every one."

#39 ·
From the very first page in Dog Star he is pissed off that there are no more trout.

"If i ever wake up crying in the middle of a dream, and I'm not saying I did, it's because the trout are gone every one. Brookies, rainbows, browns, cutthroats, cutbows, every one."
Well, there still could be arctic char! We're going to Greenland for those this summer, maybe that's far enough away.

#43 ·
You may like the "Dead" series by Victoria Houston. I've read four so far, and enjoyed them all. Murder mysteries with a fly fishing theme. A widowed doctor, who is being taught to fly fish by the local sheriff (a woman) ends up tangled up in murders, and helps the sheriff solve them. It sounds cheesy, but is pretty good.

Reactions: Jojo
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.