A fantastic cast

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by shockedalaskan, Oct 6, 2002.

1. Piscator

Piscator New Member

I think all of you reading this should spend more time watching videos and reading books. I'm sure if you look around you will find many good sources of information to help you better youselves a flyfishers. Personally, I think spending time on the water is way over rated. If you want to get better just read more. Besides, you don't have to worry about getting cold, falling in, or not catching fish or anything. Maybe someday I will see some of you out on a river or somewhere, but until then I will just have to get used to fishin' alone.

Fish on!
    Piscator :HAPPY

2. shockedalaskan

shockedalaskan New Member

Home Page:
    Piscator,

A native of the yukon and alaska I am, and I still make time to fish 3 times a week.

Do I catch anything here? Hell no! :REALLYMAD

I just started this line because I want to learn how to move that much line. I can't seem to keep over 40 feet. I'm embarrassed because I call myself a guide.

Regardless, I am hitting Kaufmann's tommorrow to get a larger rod and a few videos. Maybe your right, I need to read more.

p :HMMM

3. Jim

Jim New Member

Gee - I guess I'd better cancel those trips to Prince of Wales, Sitka, and the Deschutes. Not counting fishing the Naches, the Yakima, and the various potholes. Now I know what I'm doing wrong - I'm not watching enough videos.

4. wheelbarrow

wheelbarrow New Member

More important than watching videos or reading books is having someone watch you cast. Preferably someone who knows a lot about casting. You may think you're doing what you learned in a book, but even though it feels like you are, you're not. Video taping yourself is also useful, but the delay between casting and watching is somewhat of a hinderance. Having someone say "You're not drifting enough on the back-cast" or "haul a split second later", and then trying it, is the best way to improve and learn.

Casting a whole 6wt floating line requires _much_ less strength than you think. It's 95% technique and smoothness. Let the rod do the work. Oh yeah, and luck is involved, too (in my opinion). :)

Also, bear in mind that different rods need to be cast differently for maximum distance, but pretty much all decent rods will throw an entire line in well practiced hands. A Sage XP is going to require a certain stroke because it doesn't bend very far into the blank. A Loomis GLX will bend progressively down to the butt and lend more of its own power to the cast. You can affect how a rod casts, to a certain extent, by using a different line weight.

Here's a quick tip that you can try that will improve distance casting (assuming you don't do this already), with or without hauling: Aim your backcast up -- imagine you're trying to backcast at an upward angle (maybe 45 degrees up from horizontal). This way, by the time the line has straightened (and you have to wait until it's straight), it will fall to the horizontal position. I think that, with a lot of line in the air, we rush the forward cast because we don't want the line to hit the water/ground behind us. If you aim up a little, you can start the forward cast with a perfectly straightened, horizontal line.

Note that even if you try to backcast at a 45 degree angle, it won't likely happen. Maybe you'll get 20 degrees. In reality, you don't need it elevated that much. :pROFESSOR

5. Luv2Spey

Luv2Spey Member

I agree with Tight Loops, consider the roll-cast. The roll cast is under appreciated and under utilized by single-handers.

However, one of the problems with using a roll-cast effectively has to do with changing direction. For example, at the end of a swing, your line extends straight downstream. To cast the line from that position to a position that where it is down and across from you will require a change of direction. Changing directions and roll-casting are not good friends.

Effectively changing directions while roll-casting is even more problematic if you are casting into an upstream or a downstream wind. If the wind is downstream, the wind acts to collapse the loop robbing you of the energy needed to power the cast. If the wind is upstream, when you "turn" to face your target line, the wind can (and often will) slam the fly into your backside.

My recommendation? Learn to spey cast with your single-hander. The spey cast is little more than a roll-cast that has been modified to allow for changing directions for either upstream (single-spey) and downstream (double-spey, spiral) winds.

When I fish my single-hander 8 wt with a sinktip, I use these techniques exclusively. False casting those heavy lines in order to change direction is hard-work and, more importantly, is time that my fly is not in the water. Use a spey cast to change your direction and then a single false cast to get your distance.

Cheers,

Michael

6. Paul Huffman

Paul Huffman Driven by irrational exuberance.

Home Page:
    A fantastic cast: Mr. Technique

I just gotta tell someone this story.

Back in November, I had to take an old boy friend of my new wife fishing. He drove over here from Bellevue with his new girl friend and had dinner with us, then in the morning we went to the canyon below Roza. The girls had a little too much wine so they drove over much later, leaving me and Bozo on our own for the morning.

He hadn't done any fishing for about 15 years when he had briefly been
    interested, bought a bunch of expensive equipment, and taken casting
    lessons at Kaufmann’s. As we headed down the bank, I pointed out that
    it could be good: there were nuptial flights of mahoganies in the lee
    of some bushes as well as BWOs on the water. But I didn't help him much other than that. Couldn't help him anyway, he all ready knew all about it. I couldn't figure out why he was standing in the shallowest riffle anywhere around, ignoring the tailwater and casting into 1” deep
    riffle. I was working the head of the deep pool below and he could see
    I was landing fish after fish, but he stayed in the riffle.

The new wife met his girlfriend last week for a business lunch in Seattle. She was telling the new wife how much fun they had last time they were over, how we'd have to do it again, Blah, blah, how Bozo wants to learn more, but that he said I didn't have a good casting technique. Well, Hell, why didn't Mr. Technique catch anything then? The new wife says this fits his personality though. He's a ski racer that's obsessive about technique, and gear and actually skis beautifully. I wonder if he ever wins any races.

I remember that day there was a breeze coming downriver and I was on the left bank. So I was casting mostly backhand with my right arm and putting a bunch of curve in the line with side arm to avoid lining the pool and accommodate a little jet of fast water in front of me. Sometimes aiming a little more upstream with a curve and a wiggle to get a good drift. I'd let the little BWO cripple straighten out straight below me so my line would be out of the pool, then flip it back up to the slot with one backhand. No false casts. No double hauling. Didn't need any distance. I don't think Bozo had any appreciation of what I was doing. The fish approved.

7. shockedalaskan

Home Page:

I agree.

I spoke to my father last night and he advised me the same thing. He joked that the reason why there are so many good flyfishers in Washington is because there is no fish to catch and they get good practice.

I suspect it may be true. I never catch fish here. I mean I do but they are all 6 inchers.

I am on my way tonight to rattlesnake lake to catch some 12-15 inch rainbow (I am told my Peter at Kaufmanns) and I will even use a trick of tying a tipit onto a large fly and then going a foot back and tying on a small fly. I have never heard of this practice before but I will try it.:WINK

I don't want to sound like an arrogant AS*, :DEVIL but where I come from you simply take your one of your cigs, tear off the filter, and super glue the small white filter hairs on a hook and catch fish all day.

I've never seen a place where cheetoes float by in the water, bait chuckers don't catch anything, and all the fly fisherman are fantastic casters, and everyone just stands there looking like they are depressed.:AA

I think they should be depressed!

Ohh well, maybe I will catch something tonight.:DUNNO

Yours,

Phil

8. Nailknot

Nailknot Active Member

Hey Phil, try getting away from the city a bit. You don't see Cheetoes floating by in the rivers just outside the suburban sprawl. I've been catching steelhead, salmon, char and SRC the past week or so. Where have you been fishing? You'd think with a big rig like that Hummer you'd do a little exploring? Or maybe it was so easy in the Yukon that you're not adept at finding the good water when pickins are a bit slimmer... There's a lot of good water, and good fishing, around here.

9. shockedalaskan

Home Page:

I would love to chat with you sometime.

425-827-0881 r

206-679-2327 c

Yours,

Phil

10. wheelbarrow

wheelbarrow New Member

You're right -- a "perfect" straight-line cast doesn't help when it comes to fishing in many situations. Too many people focus on maximizing distance or prettyness when most trout are caught within 30 feet from where you stand, and a slack-line type of cast is necessary to cut drag.

But, learning to distance cast and double haul is helpful in other situations, like surf fishing, lake fishing, or using heavy flies.

Also, fly casting is fun.