NFR A Guardian Teacher Law

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Brad Soliday, Dec 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seasel

seasel New Member

"One armed person in a school has another name than school resource officer...first target. That solution is a bad bandaid at best."

I disagree. Large high schools have a community the size of a small town, and their assigned officers are useful parts of their community, just as officers are useful parts of any community. They do much, much more than serve as first targets, including building productive, inspiring relationships with some students.

In addition, if an attacker were to focus on taking out a school resource officer, that would lead others to call 911 and would get help onsite sooner.

2. fifafu

fifafu Guest

Most of these shooters kill themselves upon arrival of the first gun to oppose them because they don't want to be shot and survive. They know the gravity of the actions and don't want to chance taking a non fatal bullet.

If you decide to arm guards or teachers it would be safer not announce who would have the gun in a school. In other words announce the presence guns without exposing who has them but declaring anywhere in this country a "gun free zone" invites these shootings.

GAT and Lugan like this.
  3. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Seasel, you missed my point. I respect the community building a school resource officer adds. When alone against a determined assailant you have this solo person to prevent the assault. This is a single point of failure system, unacceptable. There must be other things put into place.

4. seasel

seasel New Member

No, I didn't miss your point. We already have a "multi-layered approach" and "other things put in place."

What exactly do you want?

5. dfl

dfl Active Member

There is one school district in rural Texas (20 minutes from the nearest police station) that has been training and arming teachers and administrators for several years with none of the feared negative consequences occurring. Don't know the districts name but the superintendent was interview on NPR recently. For them it is a practical solution to the question of school security.

6. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

How about this, since you and I are clearly NOT in the same conversation...but you didn't miss my point. I'll tell you what I want and you can whip up some of your "already have the multilayered approach" and "other things put into place".

I want every school to have the ability to restrict access to an armed assailant who has no God Damned reason for being there. I want every young child to have the opportunity to go home every day NOT being shot. Lets start with that. I'll tell you what I want after that is fixed.

We really cannot possibly be having the same conversation, reading the same report, watching the same video feeds and intererested in the same end result. You are so confident that "we've already got that".

Time for me to step away from the keyboard. We can do a whole heck of a lot better than what we've got.

Alex MacDonald likes this.
  7. seasel

seasel New Member

On the other hand, there are tens of thousands of schools that have employed unarmed teachers to teach kids, and they also have had "none of the feared negative consequences."

8. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

What about hiring returning soldiers from the middle east wars to be armed guards? Cost and tax rise issues aside, this might help solve the unemployment crisis among returning service members from our last decade of wars. Obviously, we'd need to be assured that any veteran picked to fill such an important role is physically and mentally fit for that job, but I wonder what you all think of that.

Alex MacDonald likes this.
  9. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

Why did you move there if you aren't fond of tourist ???

10. Jamie Wilson

Jamie Wilson Active Member

To?

11. Jamie Wilson

Do not arm teachers with guns.
    I teach - 27 years - repeat first 5 words.

12. Jamie Wilson

13. Brian Miller

Brian Miller Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout

I think like o mykiss, Lugan, and Steve I am skeptical about the Guardian Teacher concept instead of using full-time LEOs. I am concerned that without a defined mission, a serious ongoing tactical engagement training regimen to provide a professional educator a first responder Site Security rating as an amendment to their state teaching credentials; something akin to a Sniper, Ranger, or Combat Engineer tab, and onsite backup; at least two on staff and onsite at each school, that the program at best would be ineffective, and possibly tragically counter productive.

Regarding site hardening...... I used to have to go onsite to support the medical records computer system on McNeil. It used to rattle me every time I went through each security perimeter access point. And imagine something like routinely validating and passing each child individually through a security perimeter access point in the morning with no tailgating allowed, plus routine checks for school employees, parents for things like IEP conferences, and vendors. Glad I don't have any kids in, or work at a school.

14. Brian Miller

Brian Miller Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout

Or a bunch of inactive fly fishermen who aren't fishing

15. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

Why not hire veterans of Iraq and Afghanistan wars to be guards? Like I said above, we'd need to ensure they are physically and mentally capable, but at first glance, that seems like a way to both have people qualified and trained to handle firearms and assailants, and would help solve the current high unemployment rate of veterans. And giving them a new "mission" as important as protecting our kids might go a long way toward helping them feel good about their continued contribution to our country. How is this not a win-win?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.