NFR A Guardian Teacher Law

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Brad Soliday, Dec 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gearhead

gearhead Active Member

How do you stop a shooter that arrives at your schools front door?????

2. Brian Miller

Brian Miller Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout

To avoid an armed TSA, School Security Professionals who pass a stringent psych exam and meet other specific qualifications necessary to interact with children deserve to be paid commensurately with the importance placed on the children they are protecting.

Ed Call likes this.
  3. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald that's His Lordship, to you.....

Sure as hell not for the tourists! But it's a fair question: I don't live in Leavenworth, but up in the forest north of town. We moved here for the incredible scenery, the Nordic skiing, and the fact that Chelan county is solidly conservative. Plus, I can sit on the breezeway on the north side of my house and shoot grouse, quail, deer, bear, cougar, coyote, turkeys, and possibly, elk: all without leaving the comfort of the recliner:cool:

fifafu likes this.
  4. Long Rodder

Long Rodder New Member

I am currently an elementary teacher (16 yrs)(5th grade). Prior to this I was 8 yrs active duty Army, in during the first Gulf War, both enlisted and officer. Well-trained, been handling all kinds of guns my whole life. At one time I had a CW permit, but I let it lapse.

My small town, Moses Lake, WA, had a school shooting about 15 yrs ago. The shooter used a lever action deer rifle, if I remember correctly. I personally know kids that were in that classroom, and the hero principal that took the kid down. I wasn't in that building, thank God.

Schools need to have a way to respond quickly. A wackjob with a semi-auto could kill a whole lot of people in the 2-3 minutes it takes for police to arrive. Whether it is an armed teacher, or an on-site police officer, something needs to be done.

I fall on the side of an armed officer in the building. I'm a teacher, not a cop. I would feel paranoid as hell carrying a weapon around kids all day - and I'm about as qualified a person as you will find.

Robert Engleheart likes this.
  5. Alex MacDonald

a round through the headlights is quite sufficient. Usually 165 grains of frangible projectile at 1400fps; that's the ticket, although with the 95grainers, I might be tempted into a followup shot.

6. Robert Engleheart

Robert Engleheart Robert

Late to the discussion but can't support the Guardian Teacher idea. They already have enough on their plate; underpaid, overworked and expected to be everything the absent or apathetic parents are not. Now you want to arm them, give them the responsibility of life/death. Gonna pay them peace officer salary & benefits? Doubt there'll be too many takers. I like the idea of more officers on campus and stricter security, but given budget issues it's doubtful that this is a realistic option. I have no answer, just don't believe the GT idea will fly.

7. Jamie Wilson

Jamie Wilson Active Member

Kill it

8. bakerite

bakerite Active Member

I'm against it. I've been teaching since 1981 and just think carrying around my students is wrong. After working in three states and a lot of different schools, Edmonds, South Whidbey, Shoreline CC, Columbia Falls, MT and Baker, OR, I think most of our problems occur when too many people live together and we loose the feeling of being connected to each other. Here in Baker, my principal knows all 500 kids at our high school, their parents know who they are hanging out with and I knew if my own kids did something wrong we would hear it if they didn't tell us first. Almost all of the people (10,000 in town, 15,000 in the county) have lots of connections with other folks and most of the kids at school have a close connection with at least one adult at the school. Now that doesn't mean we would be totally immune to senseless violence, but I think it has to help. If you break down here the next car along stops to help and most people always have time for a conversation. If you want to help this problem I think a better mental health care system would be the first solution....but we need to look at what is causing those problems in the first place.

9. Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

10. Trustfunder

Trustfunder Active Member

I agree with the first post, if the school principal/a teacher was armed, it would of been a non issue after the first shot through the window. Look at what the problem solve was after 9/11... armed agents on planes, why should this approach be any different?

Alex MacDonald likes this.
  11. gearhead

gearhead Active Member

atleast there are two people who can understand, that the only way to stop force is with force.

12. SteveA

SteveA Gnu to the board

Somewhere where the teachers aren't armed, schools aren't fortresses, the fishing is excellent and the women are beautiful.

Jamie Wilson likes this.
  13. BaldBob

BaldBob Active Member

I listened to the NPR piece on the school that allows some teachers to be armed. While I still have considerable concern about armed teachers in the school, after hearing the interviews, I can see where such a program could have considerable merit.
    !. All of the armed teachers are volunteers. None are asked to take on that responsibility.
    2.All of them receive training and are thoroughly screened for psychological fitness for that task.
    3.The personnel who are armed are not identified (though I imagine the kids would figure it out fairly quickly).
    4. The ammunition issued is designed to fragment very easily (no ricochets, hitting someone on the other side of a thin wall , or hitting someone beyond the intended target).

To me the biggest benefit would not be how effective the armed personnel are in stopping a crazy who is already in the school, but in stopping a crazy from even trying to shoot up a school because he knows that some of the staff may be armed. If a school lets it be known that teachers and staff members may be armed - even if in fact none of them are - it will deter many potential perpetrators. Will it stop all the crazies? Of course not. One only needs to remember the assassination attempt on Reagan - despite all the Secret Service security - to reach that conclusion. However, I believe it would prevent the bulk of these incidents.

dfl likes this.
  14. Alex MacDonald

Chris-incongruity? Elaborate, please?

I've taught at a University since the mid-70's, and would have had no problem carrying around the students. Hell people, that's the central theme of a concealed carry permit---it's concealed! You won't see my Walther unless you physically search my person. Might notice my belt's a little lower on one side if I had the Sig though.

But I'm also not in favor of the guardian teacher concept. Better to use someone who's spooled up completely, and here we come to the issue with cops: their job is to arrest, as in "hold for higher authority". Mine was to neutralize, as in "d-e-a-d".

Derek Young likes this.
  15. Alex MacDonald

Good luck with that, Steve! If there's good in-track Nordic skiing there, let me know too? I'd think about Norway, Sweden or Finland, but I've been to them, and it's not all idyllic there, either. They all sound like the Swedish Chef on the Muppets:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.