A little help plz.....

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by Tom Johnston, Nov 30, 2008.

1. Tom Johnston

Tom Johnston Been around a while

So I use to ring neck hunt alot with my dad when I was growing up. I use to live in Spokane and did alot of hunting down south of there. Then I got older and started to get into alot of trouble as a teenager. I ended up quiting the whole hunting thing. Well now I have been thinking about it for the past month, debating it. Crappy thing is I live in Tacoma with no dog. All I have on this side is these release sites we call hunting grounds. So I could probly hunt these release sites alone with no dog and do ok, I might call that hunting and not catching. So I have been looking at shotguns now. What should I look for? I will mainly be shooting pheasant, grouse, and maybe turkey. Should I stick to a over and under, side by side, semi, pump. I will hopefully get over to Spokane a couple times during the season to hunt with my Dad.

2. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Personally, if I were in your position I'd look at a 12 guage pump, preferably a Browning. Here's why, 12's have the most commercial ammo options, lead, steel, or other non-tox. Browning because it has a safety on the top of the receiver, just like doubles should you ever upgrade. Invector chokes let you choose you pattern based on the target. The Browning comes in wood or synthetic stocks, even camo, but then so do Remington 870's. It's your choice. Pumps do not have issues like semi's with low power loads not cycling, but that's a reloaders issue, not commercial ammo.

If you want more info, PM me for my phone number...

3. Itchy Dog

Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Home Page:
    Depends on how much you want to spend. As Roper said, a 12 gauge pump is a versatile gun, and you can get a decent one without breaking the bank. I love the way my 12 ga Beretta O/U feels when upland hunting, but it wouldn't be my choice for all around when that includes turkey hunting. I also love my Benelli Super Black Eagle, which I have never had a single issue with. For an auto loader I don't think it can be beat, but they're not cheap. I use an old Mossberg 835 pump for turkey hunting, and have a much older Remington 870 Wingmaster, which was my first gun. Like fly rods, you can't have too many shotguns.

4. Tom Johnston

Ive been looking at the Remington O/U 310. Is that a decent gun?

5. Itchy Dog

Home Page:
    I know nothing about that particular gun. Perhaps someone who does will chime in...

6. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

I'm a pump gun operator. Remington 870 will do it all.

7. Tom Johnston

Yeah the 870 is not badly priced either!

8. andrew

andrew Active Member

Check out Able Ammo...they have many mfr. and decent prices...you just will need to find an FFL place to have the gun shipped to if you do purchase.

I started hunting with an 870, moved to an 11-87, and now wandered into the o/u world. The 870 pump is the most universal of all choices. You can shoot 3-1/2", change barrels/chokes, stocks, etc. for many circumstances/game. The 870 is the US version of the AK-47, but a shotgun...massed produced can be mud encrusted and still shoots.

I use my 870 solely for Turkey now, the 11-87 was my upland and duck gun due to the quicker shooting ability. The o/u has now replaced the 11/87 for upland becuase it is lighter...and aesthetically 'cooler'

9. Guy Gregory

Guy Gregory Active Member

Roper's right, the pump is most versatile. The browning has the good safety, but almost everyone else has gone to a trigger guard unit, unfortunate in my opinion but I think they are mechanically simpler.

As to pumps, I had an 870 express, never failed, but absolutely the worst finish on a gun I've ever seen. My buddy's winchester was a similar price, I like the safety better, but again, a pretty crummy finish, shoots everything. As you shop, you should consider benelli nova's, again, they're all about the same price, go somewhere you can compare em side by side and get the one that fits.

I've upgraded to a benelli SBE II autoloader, the last shotgun I'll ever buy. Fits, shoots, no problemo. I sold an 870 and an Browning Liege to get it, and I've never regretted a minute.

And go hunt with your dad. It'd make his day.

10. martyg

martyg Active Member

Buy what fits and what you hit with. A dog is why I hunt, but lately she is walking at heel leading up to my hot-spots. Birds are flushing wild, and I want her close unless we are on-top of birds.

11. Tom Johnston

I saw the Benelli Nova last night on the net. Definetly a different looking pump.

12. Itchy Dog

Home Page:
    The Nova is a solid gun, too, and not too badly priced. Go to a gun shop and fondle a few different models. See how they feel in your hands, work the action, shoulder the gun, sight down the barrel and swing as if shooting. You'll find what you like. Just don't pick up the guns that are way out of your price range, cause you'll probably like them, too. ;)

13. Tom Johnston

Oh I know what you mean about the out of price range! I get the I wants really bad. Then the wife gets really pissed when I am gonna go buy it! I am gonna go test drive the Nova and the Remington 870, and posibly the O/U Remington 310.

14. ribka

ribka Active Member

The Remington 310 is not a bad gun for the price. It is made by the Baikal factory in Russia for Remington. I visited the factory when I worked in Russia The Russians copied the design of the firearm from Browning. (Russians are good at using/copying other people's designs) To be honest the quality control has not been that good in the past although the fit and finish is not that good it is better now. If you want an good o/u would save up as one would have to spend over $1,000 for a good used o/u. ( my opinion)

For the money and options would go with the 870 or Browning. I have shot 870's for 30 years and never had any problems. Have used mine for ducks , turkeys, deer(slug barrel) geese, etc. etc. The Nova is not bad gun but 870's/Browning BPS's have been around much longer .

15. bushwacker

bushwacker Member

:ray1:I hunt with a pointing dog, so most of my phesants are shot a close range. I find that a 20 guage pump is all I need. I also hunt chukars which requires a lot of effort and the lighter the gun the better. Again, the 20 guage works fine with less weight than my 12 guage 870 duck gun.

The other thing you might want to think about is the wear and tear a gun takes if you decide to chukar hunt or duck hunt in a salt marsh. Often times when chukar hunting there is absolutely no place to set your gun down without scratching it on the ever present lava rock. If you duck hunt near salt water, eg. western Washington, you have to be sure to dry every nook and cranny of the metal mechanism within hours of your hunt to avoid rust
    pock marks. The point I'm trying to make is that a beautiful, expensive gun will usually suffer
    if you take up chukar or salt water duck hunting. On the other hand, if you are only interested in a fall phesant or grouse hunt there's no reason to not get a nicely finished gun.