a little help.

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by rsteve-o, May 13, 2008.

1. rsteve-o

rsteve-o New Member

Hey guys and gals,
    I just finished a 6'6" 2 weight fly rod. came out great.. then I brought it to work and another co worker had his way with it .. and needless to say about 6" came off the top. It broke off fairly clean, about an inch below the last guide. I had been looking at some sites and saw that maybe a sleeve, made of a lower modulus could be used. Not sure what my next step should be, but willing to try just about anything. If anybody has anything to add please feel free to drop a line.
    Thanks in advance..
    Steve-O.

2. hendersonbaylocal

hendersonbaylocal Member

what blank is it built on? I'd call the builder first and see if they'll send you a new tip before you go gluing sleeves onto it...

3. Kevin Giusti

Kevin Giusti New Member

Yeah check into the warranty.With such a lightweight rod not sure how a repair to that area of the rod would effect performance. May throw the whole rod out of whacko. You could bite the bullet clean up the end and put on a new tip top. You would probably then have like a 6' 3 or 4wt. ! Or send your co worker a bill for a new blank and/or the new 6' 6" rod with a broken tip section he just bought!!!!:thumb: Kevin

4. rsteve-o

rsteve-o New Member

I had finihed the rod already.
    I'll probably just glue a tip on the end of it, and be done with it.

5. Jim Fitz

Jim Fitz Member

That's what I would have done unless it was an expensive blank. You can always try it and remove the tip if you put it on with hot melt glue vs. epoxy. Not sure sleeving on the last 6" would make it better than just fishing it shorter.

Although I am curious - what the hell do you fish for in Houston with a two weight? My brother still enjoys reminding me of when we were canoeing in Clear Lake near the college area and we went over an alligator gar that bolted and I yelled like a girl. :eek:

6. rsteve-o

rsteve-o New Member

haha, Not much to catch with that around here, but the guy I made it for is taking it to Colorado for some rainbows.

7. James Mello

James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

2 wt? I wouldn't bother with the repair unless it was a fiberglass blank. The repair itself will probably be more deterimental to the performance than just shorting it. The best thing to do is bite the bullet and get a new tip...

8. Fly Or Die

Fly Or Die The King

Home Page:
    I agree with James. One of the more common 6’6 2wt blanks is the Forecast RX6 from Baston. If it is a Forecast it has a 2 year warranty and their not that sticky with exchanging broken tips due to dummies. The blanks themselves go for around 20-30$.