A mans word

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Stewart c, Dec 4, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Stewart c

Stewart c Member

Tried to sell something on this site to which I received a reply stating" I will take it". The pm conversation that I had with him left me with a funny feeling. I sent very clear pictures.We agreed that I was going to find out and let him know of shipping costs. They are not much. 9$. I had the flu for a couple days so it took a few days to get the estimated shipping costs to the buyer. A few days only.
    I let him know the costs and he sends a response stating that he is " mentally over it" and no longer wants the item?

This is all after ther price was agreed to was 33% less than my asking price.
    Is mine the only house were a mans word is gold? This world is in trouble

2. Gyrfalcon2015

Gyrfalcon2015 Wild Trout forever

You can get a fast shipping fee estimate online...box it, weigh, and get an accurate shipping price on USPS.com. takes a few minutes or less

UPS.com can give you estimates in a minute as well

In this day and age, a few days would make a buyer hesitant that something is up, I am afraid.

A lot of people are impulse buyers so they come to their senses if you give them too much time-especially on fishing gear.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
  3. Peyton00

Peyton00 Active Member

He let you down.....imagine how often he has let family, coworkers and friends down.

dryflylarry and james.jimenez like this.
  4. Scott Salzer

Scott Salzer previously micro brew

My word is gold in my house, in response to your question.

Just write it off and move on.

5. b_illymac

b_illymac Member Active

Usually in this type of situation there is two sides to the story. I'm going to grab some popcorn and wait for the other member to read this. :D:D:D

6. Stewart c

Stewart c Member

You know what? It's no big deal. I am a very fortunate guy. I cannot let things like this affect me. I refuse to. Happy holidays all!

7. Gyrfalcon2015

Gyrfalcon2015 Wild Trout forever

Raise the price back to what you want, it usually works best when selling anything, I have found. An odd thing !

Old406Kid likes this.
  8. Yard Sale

Yard Sale Huge Member

At least he wasn’t on your lawn!

Charles Sullivan and River Pig like this.
  9. Old406Kid

Old406Kid Active Member

A case of buyer's excitement + too much time equals buyer's remorse.
    Also lesson learned, know your shipping costs, have him pay by Paypal, and ship promptly.

10. jersey

jersey livin' the dream

Mis-timed the hook set....

Strip it in, dry the fly, check the knot, recast...no biggie.

FinLuver, Porter, Lou Millie and 9 others like this.
  11. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Unfortunate but it happens and typically for reasons cited above. The advice to "move on," including your own is sound. From my baseball days: "You win some, you lose some, some games are rained-out and some you don't even play."

12. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

Had a similar thing happen just now. I saw an item yesterday morning and answered immediately that I would take it. Spent yesterday with my grandkids and when I went back on this morning and read my PMs. there were two. The first sent me a PayPal address; the second informing me that someone else had purchased the item. New member who obviously hasn't been on the forum long enough to understand that when you say you'll take something, that's the oral contract. Anybody who knows me, knows my word is gold, as well. I didn't really need the item but it would have been nice to have. I doubt I'd buy anything from that particular member ever again.

13. Skip Enge

Skip Enge Active Member

As a professional artist for 40+ years...I have gotten used to it. I don't think I need to explain.

14. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Word, Bro...

bennysbuddy likes this.
  15. Jiminsandiego

Jiminsandiego Active Member

Because of a move I had to sell quite a number of items. Lots of quality things at super low prices (did not have much time). Craigslist. I quickly learned that there was a whole community of jerks that liked to play games with sellers. It seemed like it was their hobby to set up meetings and never show, or when they did show, lower the offer extremely and just hope you would say ok out of frustration. I get the idea of "horse trading" but several "buyers" were definitely on a power trip to abuse sellers. I also met some very nice people that appreciated the deals I was offering.

Buzzy, triploidjunkie and Salmo_g like this.