Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

A Pattern for Stimulators?

1K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  Steelheader69 
#1 ·
RiverFishing

Hello All...
I've finally taken to tying some of my own flies and so far I'm just loving it! So for starters, thanks to those of you whose posts a while back gave me the nudge I needed.
Now, I'm looking for a good directions for tying up Stimulators. I found I used a lot of these last year and I've already got the materials to tie them, but don't have a good step-by-step procedure.
If I'm nosing arounf in the wrong spot, please feel free to redirect me.
Thanks in advance for any available help!

Mike :thumb

#5 ·
Are you asking about techniques for putting the material on to the hook? If so, post here, or send me an e-mail and I'd be glad to tell you what I know. If you are just looking for recipes, the recommended websites are great!

Good luck, There is nothing like your first trout caught on your own hand-tied fly.

#6 ·
RiverFishing

Wow...There's hardly a day goes by that I don't discover something great online with some guidance from someone - and today is no exception. I've already looked into this site and it's got just what I was looking for.

Thanks a Lot! Hope I can return the favor some day!

Mike :thumb :thumb

#7 ·
RiverFishing

I've checked into this site as well as the "Virtual Flybox." Thanks to both of you - they've got just what I needed - and look like truly amazing sites for a new tyer like myself!

I very much appreciate this!

Mike :thumb :thumb

#8 ·
First, of all I think theres nothing more satisfying then catching fish with the flies you have tied yourself. A Stimulator is quite a fly to undertake. I would look for a video with that pattern, or a book with step by step. Check your local fly shop. Also, get a hair stacker. The Elk Hair Caddis is a good dry using deer or elk hair to help you with the process. Personally, I tie stillwater patterns and various nymphs for my fishing, finding a well tied store bought dry hard to beat. Good luck.

#9 ·
RiverFishing

I've gotten a lot of help on this topic (the websites, etc) and one member has even gone to great length to write out a complete process.

Youor response is interesting to me since I'm still fairly new. I do have a hair stacker and I've tied a few flies, and was leaning towards the Stimulator because I've used it and so I suppose have confidence in it. I have less experience with the ElkHair Caddis and its many variations. It does look a little simpler to tie.
A couple of questions...
Have you used both and feel the Caddis patterns are more effective?
Do you think the Caddis patterns are simpler to tie than the stimulators?

(And I do appreciate your comment about purchased flies. There are already some dries I've purchased that I feel I'm a LONG WAY from being able to tie!)

Mike

#10 ·
To answer the first question. I fish alot of freestone rivers and streams for wild trout. I think the Stimulator in its variations of size and color is one of the best, if not the best fly for rough or fast water.
The Elk hair caddis is just a good fly with less steps that uses a hair wing. Being a family man, busy as hell, has made me alittle lazy on some of the more time comsuming dry flies. A guess I was trying to ease you into it. I applaud your efforts. Also, the Goddard Caddis is another fly you should check out. It's body is spun and clipped elk hair. It floats like a cork and catches fish. See ya.

#11 ·
I used to know it all---but now that I'm older I seem to forget it all.

I use the hell out of stimulators. I like them because they are easy for me to tie. The only problem that I have when tying them is after I put on the wing and go to put on the head I seem to goof it up.But if it don't work for me it will just look like a Sofa Pillow. Not much difference in the two. As for tying the Goddard Caddis,spinning deer hair is not all that easy. I try to stick to the simple flies as they seem to work for me.

Jim

#12 ·
I'm not a professional tyer, but I did spend this winter tying 300 +/- stimulators. (I use them a lot). I think someone said in one of the earlier posts that it is a difficult fly to tie. This is only partially true. The reality is that the steps are actually quite simple - there are just a lot of them. The only really difficult part is getting the proportions right. Getting that right is just a matter of practice.

If I were you, I'd go for it. You'll use them, and it will help you with many skills (working with hair, palmering hackle etc.). If you haven't already taken a class I'd think about doing that first, though.

Just my two cents.

#15 ·
Thanks again to all the information and insights shared in response to my original and follow-up questions. I just really appreciate this site and the willingness of all you regulars who are always so open to helping others along. I think I can use something from everyone who wrote in here, and I'm looking forward to the tying and the fishing.
Too bad it seems so wet over on the west side. My wife is taking me along to Vancouver for a weekend conference but it appears the rivers are all blown out. You westsiders must be getting soaked!
Thanks again!

Mike :thumb

#16 ·
For those of you who can't stack deer hair well, a TIP

I can spin deer hair pretty good. But there are times I'm lazy and don't feel like doing the effort (after a couple hours of non stop tying, I need a break). If you want standard colors (brown, tan, black, etc) you can find a product from Finnish Fur Flyer (FFF) called cut strip reindeer. You tie on hook like a rabbit strip and palmer on. Makes a good body. Then trim to shape.

Warning, I've only used on my steelhead dries (bigger flies). They tie up good on a size 6 steelhead dry. Not sure what it'll do on trout. I'll take pic of one of my steelhead "hoppers" and post to show what it looks like. Not bad for quick work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.