A rookies log.

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by DanielOcean, May 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. troutdopemagic

troutdopemagic Active Member

Something else you should consider is instead of bouncing around to different rivers and different sections, I think sticking to one run on one river and concentrating all your time there is a good plan. Just find some water you like and has good holding lies and fish it till you land one. Then branch out with your technique, river, section of the river, fly, etc. Once you learn that spot top,bottom and sideways at a myriad of flows, you'll be in it to win it.

plaegreid, BASS_TURDS and mgarritson like this.
  2. tinman207

tinman207 Active Member

I am just beginning my quest for steel so my opinion is really unsupported, but I agree with troutdope. There was a year where I decided I wanted to be a truly great trout nympher, and living by the Cedar I had prime water at my disposal. I decided to spend every outing hitting the same stretch of water and get it really dialed. In that stretch over what ended up being two years, I learned to watch the structure and flow change throughout the season, and where the fish went during different months and weather changes. I noted where and how I caught fish of all sizes, and also other people I saw..including poachers flinging bait....they all provided information. I fished other water too, but this stretch was the classroom. I have never had a bad day on that river since, and it translated to most all water I fish. My confidence on any water is high when I have my nymph box....give me dry fly and I am a bumbling newbie again....but intentional focus and study plain works.
    Steelhead are a different monster all together, but I think the same principle applies. If you pick a fishy run or two and devote yourself to them, you will see some caught and learn, get some pulls and hookups and learn more, and eventually get one in. You will come to know that water and those steelhead well.
    There is nothing quite like stepping into a spot on a stream you have never been on, but seeing different components of water that you do know like the back of your hand from your familiar water, and you know how to best fish it.
    Anyhow, that's my uninformed opinion because I am about to post my own "new to steelhead" intro thread, but that seems like very sound advice to me, and that is my own plan.
    I continue to follow your thread and cheer you on as well even though we haven't met......so..hi I'm Tinman and I am eagerly awaiting your "Hallelujah Chorus" post when you get the first.
    Best of luck brother.

3. DanielOcean

DanielOcean Steelhead Virgin

Hey lets get together and go trout fishing some time. I could use alot of help on my nymphing game.

4. tinman207

tinman207 Active Member

Sounds very good....I'll take you trouting if you take me swinging for steel.

5. DanielOcean

Deal, I am out every weekend searching for my first steelhead so pm me and we can talk.

6. plaegreid

plaegreid Saved by the buoyancy of citrus

Duuuuude, you gonna be dustin chromers this weekend? Tying any crazy flies? Doing things with leader and tippet and line? What's goin on, broseph?

#imbored #gimmeupdates #lightingfarts #bieberfever #yolo

7. DanielOcean

Yes to all the above.

plaegreid likes this.
  8. Mike Garritson

Mike Garritson Member

Picked up Dec Hogan's "A Passion For Steelhead" book this week. The book is fantastic and, in my opinion, worth the $70. It's nice to have all that info right in the palm of your hand. So, for all us steelhead rookies...this book is highly recommended. Had previously picked up "The Complete Steelheader", which was good, but not complete. There was very little on anything spey or switch...the author said he wasn't that good at it and didn't feel comfortable writing about it. But, the book had some great info. Hogan's is better.

Chawhee likes this.
  9. did you watch my skagit master 2?

10. Mike Garritson

Mike Garritson Member

I've only seen the trailer. Gotta pick it up.

11. plaegreid

Awful quiet in here...

12. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Pretty difficult to attempt any serious steelhead fishing when the rivers are climbing straight up toward flood stage. Even if you're DanielOcean.

Sg

DanielOcean likes this.
  13. plaegreid

This is true, but he's not even bitching about it or bromancing Turds! It's unnatural.

Craig Pablo and DanielOcean like this.
  14. Darthmonkey

Darthmonkey Active Member

I've heard some interesting reports coming from the dry-side. But my waders are in MT, FML.

DanielOcean likes this.
  15. DanielOcean

Whoa whoa I am here. Like Salmo said. Not much to talk about with how the rivers are reacting to this rain. However, I did get to do some fishing Saturday. Took a buddy out early and caught another bulltrout. This time it was even bigger and faught harder. No steelhead but still had alot of fun. Obviously the weather pissed on me but if you are not willing to get out there in a little rain then you are not very serious at this. The river literally got blown out before my eyes, and headed home a little earlier than usual since the water was rising so fast. Fun times non the less. Glass is always half full.

Remco, Mike Garritson and plaegreid like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.