A Sign of Good Fishing

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by miyawaki, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide.

Cranberry Country...a glorified coastal swamp!
    Yo, Bradley. What you say may be true out on the ocean beaches, but not so in much of Puget Sound and Hood Canal, where there are lots of leased and private tidelands below the mean high tide line.

Back in the early 80's, I rented a waterfront cabin on Bainbridge Island with my GF, where my landlord owned the tidelands; and later, after she ditched me, another smaller one on on the island that was across the street from the beach, but where my new landlord also owned the tidelands.
    In the later case, I was only two doors down from a public fishing pier and beach, and my landlord, being a fair and decent person, advised me to let the public use the beach for clamming, etc, as long as they respected the fact that it was private property and didn't trash the place. She did not want to post it as private. Most folks who ventured over there were respectful. Only once in 3 years there did I have to muster my panache, and go down on the beach, and ask some clowns to pick up their litter and fill in their holes. They called me a jerk. In return, I called them assholes, told them to leave and never to return, and said that I was about to call the Sheriff. They split the scene. I had to pick up their beer cans.
    Some people just don't get it. You never trash the environment. You never litter. You leave the place looking better than when you got there, if possible. What's so difficult about that?

2. Bradley Miller

Bradley Miller Dances with fish

Ok: but here is the point of all of this. How do you KNOW your landlord had the property rights to the tidelands below the 'mean high tide' line? IF a property owner did own those rights and IF that property owner was fussy about enforcing those rights, wouldn't you think that property owner would make it a pretty simple operation to demonstrate that? Every property is, apparently, different. Additionally, what about the folks who post 'no trespassing' signs on land they do NOT own the rights to? Sheesh. What if you are a conservation minded, considerate, lone fly fisherman who is not disturbing anybody on land that is legally 'public' and some jerk who thinks (or wants to think) he owns the 'beach' demands that the fisherman vacate? I am thinking here that Washington State law is not very user friendly. And I am also thinking that those 'felony trespass' signs that I see on Hood Canal are bluff and fluff. I guess the real question is: whats the sheriff going to do ? :)

3. Kcahill

Kcahill Active Member

not sure if serious...

4. Jim Wallace

That's one of the reasons why I have four boats.
    But, if you are shore-bound, then be like how Leland outlines. If you are discreet and respectful in your behavior, you might just skate. If you happen to get kicked out, you get kicked out, but again, if you are respectful and discrete, at least maybe you won't have the Sheriff on your okole.

5. Bradley Miller

Yeah, I get that.
    Thats the practical approach.
    But what if you're getting kicked out and you shouldn't be?
    That's the problem; and it's not right.

daveypetey likes this.
  6. Jim Wallace

Shellfish poaching is a serious problem for tideland owners/leasers. Apparently, there is a big black market in illegally harvested shellfish.

7. Jim Wallace

I agree with you in that that isn't right. I haven't encountered that problem, but I haven't had to search for new beaches to fish along the Canal or in the Sound lately. I know of several spots with public access that I can check out. Or launch from. Kayak does not require a boat ramp. Just throw it in off the beach. Any public beach where you can lug it down to launch. Usually, no fees. I have annual $30 Discovery Pass, so I can throw in at waterfront state parks for free, such as Potlatch. I try to learn the locations of all the free launch sites for waters that I fish in.

8. Bradley Miller

Sorry to hear that.
    But that problem doesn't address the issue of legally accessible tidelands
    by people who aren't poaching, or dealing in shellfish, or being rude, or screwing with homeowners docks or lawns or whatever. Again, I think the soft approach is the best. However, what is right..............is right.

9. Bradley Miller

Yes.....which is why I'm buying a small kayak this weekend.
    Good point!!!!

10. Jim Wallace

Bradley, I agree that you are right in your statement that tideland ownership in Puget Sound can be a convoluted mess for the general public to figure out. So I'd just take the "practical approach" and maybe try to fish a good looking beach that might be private. This kind of thing is highly "situational." If I thought that I could pull it off, or at least explain my way out of it if confronted, I might just go for it.

Maybe someday I'll even beach my yak on some private strip of beach under some forested high clay bank when there's no one around, and step out and make a few casts. Or step out in the shallows with my yak leashed to me and make some casts. I dunno. I But if you or I decide to go for it, then by being respectful and discreet, we are more likely to pull it off.
    How long does it take to make a few casts, before you jump back in the yak and paddle on? The real danger would be in hooking a good fish, and thus giving the property owner time to take action!:eek:

11. Bradley Miller

I'm good with that.
    Let's go!!!!!

12. daveypetey

daveypetey Active Member

Is there not an easy way to look up property lines online here in Washington State? It seems like either a public or private website would have something on this. Anyone know?

Edit: are the zillow.com lines accurate at all?

13. Bradley Miller

Maybe; but then what?
    How much technology would be involved in tracking/plotting/ geo-orienteering each fifty foot wide plot of tide land? Wow.

14. daveypetey

daveypetey Active Member

I can't imagine it would be that big of an undertaking really, as all public records are slowly becoming e-records. And likely very helpful for society at large. Of course no one should throw away the deed to their house anytime soon. :)

15. Bradley Miller

Tech wise, I'm sure you're right.
    I'll just mount my ipad / google maps device to the cockpit, orient my kayak to the beach at hand, and spend more time being lewis&clark than fishing. And keep my attorney on speed dial. Not a big deal at all.