A Spey Gentleman

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Charlie S, Apr 9, 2007.

1. Charlie S

Charlie S Confrimed Reprobate

Travelled this last week up the Oregon Coast for our 37th anniversary. I had the opportunity to see some nice salmon entering some small rivers. A little talk with one fly guy disclosed that the Springers were tough to catch on fly gear but he was flailing away and having a ball just being out there. For the sake of domestic tranquility on this trip I hadn't even packed one rod. It worked out fine and I have built up a modicum of "wood" to use for future trips.

The highlight of the trip for me was the opportunity to meet and talk with Fred Evans. Now, this is an individual which, from the first moment I met him, I knew was going to be a friend and teacher. And Joan, what a GREAT compliment to Fred. We had a great dinner and they invited my wife and I back to their cozy home for coffee. What a treat!!

Then Fred took me out to his garage. One first sight I knew that I was in the presence of a true addict. I couldn't count all the spey rods, and all of them quality gear. Fred put one in my hands that is built on the same Burgie blank I have. NOW I'm excited. I just have to wait for the cork to arrive to put together the rod. I can get the upper 3/4 done and then get back up to Oregon for some lessons. I have a LOT to learn but in the presence of Fred I'm sure even he can drive some basic techniques into my thick skull.

This board is great and I'm learning the folks here are also great. If the rest are of the quality of Fred and his better 99% then I know I have found a home. Thanks, Fred, for the fine hospitality and for a most wonderful evening. You helped cap off a memorable week with the wife.

2. Hal Eckert

Hal Eckert Active Member

Exactly how many spey rods and lines does Mr. Evans have ?

Six years conversing on the internet amd now I may get to know.

:) :beer2:

BG

3. Charlie S

Charlie S Confrimed Reprobate

I couldn't count them all....it looked like a spider web of rods and reels though. LOL....like I said, the man is an addict with one of the best addictions there could be.

4. Hal Eckert

Hal Eckert Active Member

Hes a gem, has he unloaded that 18 foot Daiwa rod yet ? How about those grand spey lines that were once so coveted ?

Hope he does before it causes a physical ailment the man is getting up there in age you know.

I know too much about all of this, Joan must be a saint.

:beer2: :) :eek:

BG

5. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

At my/Joan's age I thought both of us were beyond the point of 'blushing.' I was wrong.

BG: still have the 18 footer, but 'it' hasn't seen water in quite some time. All the XLT's still see some use, but I'm (almost) a total convert to the Carron Dry lines and VISION A C E Scandi heads.

Charlie, 'door swings in' any time!

Fred

6. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Truth be told Hal, I really don't know anymore ....:confused:

7. Hal Eckert

Hal Eckert Active Member

I really dislike you more now. :( Retired plus all that spey equipment to use at your leisure while I am still slaving away in corporate world with a multi million ($100) project amongst others to contend with. Plus we are having a snow storm today when two weeks ago it was in the high 70s.

I don't have any of those new lives you mentioned above still using Rio, Orvis, and Snowbee spey lines I must be behind the leading edge of the spey technology curve ?

bawling:

BG

8. Red Shed

Red Shed "junkyard spey"

Home Page:
    BG, Ordering yourself a new spey rod will always make a snowy day seem much better. I have a screaming deal on that "jailbait" rod that you have heavy lust in your heart for.

9. Hal Eckert

Hal Eckert Active Member

You did not respond to my message weeks ago on the UMWFF board and I went to your site and did not see such "jailbait" rod listed. Then got sick and busy and forgot about the lovely ladly. Has she been treated gently to date ?

BG

10. Red Shed

Red Shed "junkyard spey"

Home Page:
    What date was this message I supposedly did not respond to? You know the very best way to contact me is redshedflyshop@orofino-id.com. The inventory on my experienced page is constantly changing but I've had 3 or 4 of these jailbait rods you lust for listed in the last few month. The present little honey is almost unblemished and has papers to boot. You will never catch Mr. Evans if you don't get going.:cool: :cool:

Ah yes BG. I found a post on the umwff board where you ask a question you already knew the answer to. Hell, half the spey world knows of your infatuation with the "little brown stick".

11. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

RESIST FRED, RESIST!!:rolleyes:

12. Red Shed

Red Shed "junkyard spey"

Home Page:
    Hell Fred, It's a slow day on the boardwalk, don't hold back.:cool:

13. Hal Eckert

Hal Eckert Active Member

Sorry been off line the last few weeks due to work, STEELHEAD FISHING out of state.

I doubt if the half the spey world knows about it besides thats only a few 100 people at most world wide anyway.

I will take a look at Red Shed's site again and the info on the "little brown stick".

:beer2:

BG

14. Red Shed

Red Shed "junkyard spey"

Home Page:

15. speyfisher

speyfisher Active Member

That one is "true Fred" Before I moved up here, Fred would greet me at the front door with keys to the house and the Explorer.:thumb: