A Steelhead Family Video

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by John Dougher, Mar 10, 2011.

1. John Dougher

John Dougher Member

"What if fishing was so important that you would change your life to pursue it?"

Happened to pick this up on the net today. Did a search on this board and found that it had been posted on Spey Clave a few weeks ago. Thank you Ron McNeal.
    With only 200+ hits I think that a lot of steelhead enthusiasts missed this one so I decided to post on this forum.
    Beautiful.

Hope I'm not breaking any rule...

2. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

That is awesome. I watched it twice at lunchtime when it was first posted. I even sent a couple of questions to Bob Clay about a rod of mine and he gave me some detailed response really fast. I hope my family can find and enjoy something like his family. Amazing.

3. papafsh

papafsh Piscatorial predilection

Home Page:
    Best video I've seen on Steelheading! Outstanding!

LB

4. Loren Jensen

Loren Jensen Active Member

besides the hating on logging, i enjoyed this video when i watched it last week.

5. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    Logging = one of the worst things for steelhead and salmon

6. Derek Day

Derek Day Rockyday

I know you're from sedro and all, but Evan's right. Logging is awful for salmonids. If you ever plan to use those new spey set-set ups for steelhead in the skagit, you'll be re-thinking your position shortly.

7. Loren Jensen

my dad was a logger for 30 years. now what he does is all for fish. maintaining logging roads, putting in culverts, silt control, etc.

i am not going to steal this guys' thread.

wanna talk about it let me know. not saying you guys are wrong, but sooo many people are undeducated about it. nor have they ever done it, and me, growing up in the woods, i know a lot about it. and being from woolley makes me look like a ignorant redneck. shoot me a pm sometime.

8. generic

generic Justified

Fixed it for ya!

I worked along side of the logging industry for a few years. The logging companies hated, absolutely hate the contracts from Burlington Northern that demanded a $500 fine for every tree that was left standing over five feet tall. Gave the logging companies a bad PR for sure. Why BN would have such a deal, don't know for sure - something about lightning <--?, but we were shown one of the contracts from one company. There it was in the contract. Stupidest thing I've ever seen.

9. cabezon

cabezon Sculpin Enterprises

Sadly, even worse than logging is concrete.....

Steve

10. Loren Jensen

that's thinking right there, folks.

11. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

THINK ABOUT THIS, WITH OUT LOGGING , how would you wipe your ass, Whats your house made from. we need to harvest our forest responsibly, there is no shortage of finger pointing as to what messed up our steelhead runs,But one thing is sure WE ARE ALL RESPONSIBLE FOR THE DEMISE OF THE EARTHS RESOURSES

12. ak_powder_monkey

ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Back to the original post... Do women like that actually exist? If so they should contact me immediately...

13. Loren Jensen

x2. loggers always seem to be the easiest to blame. it's not the loggers you should blame if you are going to blame anyone. blame the timber companies. the loggers are just doing what they know, and that's working hard. besides, logging is a renewable resource, and there are other things contributing to declining steelhead numbers.

14. generic

generic Justified

It's actually not even the timber companies. Like I stated earlier, is the land owners than "lease out" the land to the timber companies. In the contract it states very simply that a fine will be imposed for any tree that stands over 5 ft (some contracts state different heights).

I know it sounds weird, but if they want that bid (lumber)....that's what they agree too. Thankfully that has ghanged for the good in recent years. I think it is common now to leave a healthy mature tree every 50 ft or something-there-abouts. Still, it's rough on the land and streams - but we need to wipe our arse's right?

15. Loren Jensen

exactly. i have a shirt with a sptted owl on it that says "wipe your ass with this" when the whole spotted owl sccare was going around.

oh well though, back to the original topic. pretty awesome video..