A steelhead is a salmon??

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Snake, Dec 16, 2007.

1. Freestone

Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

I suspected it is probably illegal to label or call a steelhead a salmon, and it appears that it is illegal (though I'm no lawyer). Notice the defintion of 'salmon' by Washington state law specifically excludes 'game fish' which would include steelhead and any other trout.

RCW 69.04.932
    Salmon labeling — Definitions.

Unless the context clearly requires otherwise, the definitions in this section apply throughout RCW 69.04.933 through 69.04.935.

(1) "Salmon" means all species of the genus Oncorhynchus, except those classified as game fish in Title 77 RCW, and includes:

SCIENTIFIC NAME COMMON NAME
    Oncorhynchus tshawytscha Chinook salmon or king salmon
    Oncorhynchus kisutch Coho salmon or silver salmon
    Oncorhynchus keta Chum salmon
    Oncorhynchus gorbuscha Pink salmon
    Oncorhynchus nerka Sockeye salmon
    Salmo salar (in other than Atlantic salmon
    its landlocked form)

(2) "Commercially caught" means salmon harvested by commercial fishers.

RCW 69.04.933
    Salmon labeling — Identification of species — Exceptions — Penalty.

With the exception of a commercial fisher engaged in sales of fish to a fish buyer, no person may sell at wholesale or retail any fresh or frozen salmon food fish or cultured aquatic salmon without identifying the species of salmon by its common name to the buyer at the point of sale such that the buyer can make an informed decision in purchasing. A person knowingly violating this section is guilty of misbranding under this chapter. A person who receives misleading or erroneous information about the species of salmon and subsequently inaccurately identifies salmon shall not be guilty of misbranding. This section shall not apply to salmon that is minced, pulverized, coated with batter, or breaded.

2. Nick Andrews

Nick Andrews New Member

What is the restaurants name?

Also would you want the restaurant to disclose whether the "Wild Salmon" came from a hatchery run or a truly Wild run of salmon?

3. Snake

Snake tryin' not to get too comfortable

PM sent.

I don't want to go public until I find out what the deal is.

I hope so........

4. Buck

Buck "Ride'n Dirty."

I mean this nicely. You should have let it go. The waiter was just passing the info along. She/he obviously didn't know anything about the fish. The fish was probably a wild salmon caught and taken to the market. Sometime it's good to inform people about the dangers these wild fish endure and the possible fate that awaits them, but sometimes it's better to choose that time. I personally, the moment the waiter said "steelhead salmon" would have just eaten it knowing that the chances are the fish was just a salmon. I'm sorry you spoiled you dining experience, sounds like it would have been a nice time.
    B.

5. LBC

LBC nymphing beads with a spey pole.

6. Snake

Snake tryin' not to get too comfortable

If they say it's "wild", I expect it to be wild. If it's hatchery-origin, or farmed, I want to know that, and expect full disclosure. As previously posted, I would never eat a farmed salmon, 'cuz of the crap they're fed. I want to know what I'm eating, and where it came from. That's why I asked.

If they say it's a "salmon", I expect it to be a salmon. I'm pretty sure it wasn't (based on the color of the flesh, and the 'explanation' from the staff), and that's why I'm pissed.

I couldn't. If they are passing off wild steel as wild salmon, I feel obligated to call 'em on it. My friends (and girlfriend) totally supported my rant, 'cuz they share my core beliefs. It didn't totally ruin the evening. But we went someplace else to spend our money on desert, coffee, and pre-bedtime cocktails. And I'll never patronize that particular restaurant again, even though I've had many pleasurable experiences there in the past. I'm voting with my wallet.

7. kodiaksalmon

kodiaksalmon Jeff B.

Agreed. Wild steelhead is day and night different from wild salmon.

8. Buck

Buck "Ride'n Dirty."

OK, Wait a sec. here you edited my post and that's OK, you didn't totally change it around but really made it seem cut and dry.

Did they serve you steelhead or salmon? How did you know? Did you see the skin? Was it a hatchery fish? How did you know? My point is that if the staff kept calling it "steelhead salmon," they don't know what it is. It's fish to them. It's rude to talk to people in the service industry like that. They (most likely) are not as informed as you are. You have had the privilege of being informed through others, who may or may not have scolded you. But I doubt that they did it at your place of business.
    Now the guy down in Cali. (who was featured in an article) who said if they can't get salmon, he will call his buddy in WA. on the Res. and get "wild steelhead."...this guy knew what he is doing. For sure. And I don't know you dude, so it's not a slam, seriously, but to come on here and toot your horn about the waiter that mis-spoke and then slam the restaurant. I'm not impressed.

9. Jeremy Floyd

Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

I think that the heart is in the right place folks but a lot of that anger/resentment/whatever needs pointed towards our lawmakers also. They are still working within the law which faulted or not is still the law.

Also I don't know many people (like none) that can tell by the fillet if it is Sockeye, silver, small king, or steelhead if it is really fresh.

10. Nick Andrews

Nick Andrews New Member

I would like the government or the fishing industry to set regulations that would require markets and restaurants require following information.

1. Fresh or Frozen
    2. Wild, Hatchery Origin or Farmed
    3. River System Origin or Ocean Caught
    4. Gill Net or Troll Caught
    5. Supplier

A little transparency in the fishing industry would give consumers the tools necessary to make an informed decision when buying seafood.

11. cuponoodle breakfast

cuponoodle breakfast Bigfoot is blurry

Any fish that isn't farm raised is called wild in the restaurant biz. By wild, they mean it lived in the wild and not a net pen. Could be of hatchery origin or could be native. They're all caught in nets, so I'll be fishing the runoff of hell's glaciers before I buy any.

12. djzaro

djzaro New Member

Please send pm of the name to me also. Thanks.

13. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

I might be the bad guy here, but you should of asked before you ordered it and since you had it in front of you, you should of eaten it. You weren't doing the fish any good because it is dead and it can't swim and lay eggs anymore.

But since I don't eat fish. It makes me no never mind.

Besides you said it was an Indian fish. They are allowed to catch and sell the reservation fish.

Jim

14. Buck

Buck "Ride'n Dirty."

Wait a minute here.....Just hold on! You don't eat fish Jim! :eek: I guess that could be possible, don't eat it just catch it and let it go......OK ;)

Now I was unaware of the fact the the fish in the resturant in question didn't get eaten either. :hmmm:

15. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

I make it easy when I'm ordering fish in a restaurant, make it cod, snapper, grouper, pollock, etc. No salmon, trout, steel head.
    Eat beef, you don't know where it been either.
    Another thing about restaurants is if ya really want to know whats on your plate, go back in the kitchen and look at what's under the counters.
    9 times out of 10 you won't eat there ever again.