A Tough Sunny Friday.

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by wet line, May 20, 2011.

1. wet line

wet line New Member

Got out early and hit the lake at 0:6:freaking 15. The 3/4 moon was high in the western sky and the surface of the lake looked like a bathtub! No shucks on the water and so at least that was a good sign.

Fished slow coveriing the water from bottom to top. Nada. No fish coming up and no hatch. Cycled some flies and about 9:30 or so decided to go and park and get the kinks out. Wished I had some Hostess powder coated dognuts. Pushed backout and hooked a decent 15 incher. Must have been a retard I was thinking. Worked up through the deep slot and the rod bent down and it felt like a log. Shit, strip strip strip . and it still felt like a log. Pulled in about 20 feet of line and then the log headed down and out to the center of the lake. This is NOT a log. All the line I stripped in was out of the canoe and then a surge and another 30 feet of line off the reel. This is a decent fish. Keep it tight and keep it cool I say! About 100 feet out I see a fish roll with my line trailing behind it! This is a BIG fish. Keep it cool! Then the line goes slack, the SOB is coming at me and I cann't feel the fish. Is it on? Have I lost it? About 20 feet out a big roll and my line is still tight. The fish is on and it is a NICE fish. Eventually I get it to the net and it is a NICE cutt. Probably pushing 20 inches plus.

Fished until 2:30 and hooked 3 more cutts. Two were around 17 and one about 15. One of the 17's was hooked in the pectoral fin and put up quite a good accounting.

Dave

2. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

nice story !

3. Rod Wittner

Rod Wittner Active Member

Awesome. Thanks for the encouragement. I am heading out Sunday with my buddy Wayne.

4. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Wet Line Dave rocks. Great report.

5. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Old fashioned Donuts are better.

6. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Now we are fussing about donuts? All donuts rock. Every day is better with a donut.

7. Gary Knowels

Gary Knowels Active Member

Unless that donut is your fish count!

8. Rob Ast

Rob Ast Active Member

Not all donuts rock. I can't stand crispy creme donuts - all air and sugar. Give ma a good old deep fried cake donut any day of the week.

9. RobZfishrman

RobZfishrman New Member

Had a similar experience on a hooked fish.
    On lake Goodwin; I untied the boat from the dock and threw out my 8# type 6 sinker while moving at 2.5 mph so I wouldn't snag on one of the many prevailent rocks on the shallow point and my line came to a full stop. Darn, snagged a rock I thought, had the electric mortor in reverse and was making progress back to the snag when my rod started pumping as I gathered line back. Whoa, back to foward thrust and this fish had some serious weight! A four to five minute battle ensued and had a good veiw of the fish in the shallows. It turned out to be one of the many very large smallmouths I had seen prowling around the docks in my back yard. The fish was about eight pounds and was released to fight another day.
    My set-up and fly were intended for the bigger fish in 25 to 35 feet of water that were on my sonar and sometimes on my line.
    After the release I spotted my coffee mug on the dock. No doughnuts were injured in this story :)

10. Matt B

Matt B ...

They're called Krispy Kremes and I can eat a dozen. I hail from the Deep South though so I have that regional bias. Not that I don't like a good Old Fashioned. Tiny Doughnuts anyone? Anyway, good report. Pectoral hooked fish generally do make an accounting of themselves. That usually happens to me when I'm fishing droppers off dries. I doubt you were doing that in a lake though.

11. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide.

Cranberry Country...a glorified coastal swamp!
    Very good, Dave! But ya know, I discovered that big cutts are allergic to donuts. Lucky for you you had none, and avoided the "donut curse."
    Donuts are a thing of the past for this kid. I no longer eat donuts, cake, pies, ice cream, candy bars, soda pop, etc. No more refined sugar bombs! Except I may have a Cliff Bar in my pack for emergency rations or for a long paddle or hike out toward the end of the day. For quick energy now, I usually bring dried fruit, apples, or bananas.

12. wet line

wet line New Member

Jim,

I know what you mean about the refined sugar. I try to avoid it as much as possible. I also avoid all the salty snacks like pretzels, chips, cheetos with all the empty calories and high sodium content. But there are times when it seems to be a craving, like when I have been sitting bored out of my mind in the canoe waiting for the fish to wake up.

Getting older is so much freaking fun I can barely stand it!

Dave

13. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide.

Cranberry Country...a glorified coastal swamp!
    Yes, those rare cravings are why I don't even keep any of that stuff around! Moments of weakness....:beathead:
    Gotta agree that this second childhood is way fun, except that I miss being more flexible and resilient than I feel lately. Those Gumby days are long gone! If the surfing looks good, I'll go out and surf til my arms are done, or a leg cramp sends me in. Very addicting self-punishment, this surfing!
    I need to get back to fly fishing more, instead of beating myself into a pulp all the time out in the surf. I've been out of the lineup now for 10 days due to a muscle pull, which has also kept me from paddling my kayoe. I'm almost ready to go out and have at it some more.
    Hitting a lake with the bug wand sounds pretty nice right now. I'm just vicariously grooving on all the bitchin' reports, like yours and Roger Stephen's.

14. Andrew Lawrence

Andrew Lawrence Active Member

Right on Old man! :thumb:

15. willburrrr2003

willburrrr2003 Member

What a great fishing story :D almost puts me in the boat for that fight!

Regards,

Will