About keeping Methow River hatchery steelhead

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Don Barton, Sep 19, 2009.

1. MasterAnglerTaylor

MasterAnglerTaylor Member

well when you have 2 or 3 people in a hatchback with all gear for fishing and camping the cooler has to be kinda small and usually doesnt have much ice....who am i kidding i dont catch steelhead so it dont really matter

2. plugboots

plugboots Member

^^^I was just giving you some crap, since in a few weeks, in every single space of gravel pull-out anywhere near the lower river there will be some version of said truck, all shiny, with some west side dealer license plate holder on it. Many with a guide advertisement displayed.

I'm not really sure why a pick-up is needed, (or wanted), to drive over WA or Bluett pass but, I think the car in your avatar is perfect for the drive. Either that or the Ferraris that were here over the weekend.

3. MasterAnglerTaylor

MasterAnglerTaylor Member

Well i one day i hope to take up one of those gravel spots with my car and fish that river and catch a steelhead...but i gotta get my car here first and grande rhonde is closer lol. I love going to the OP with the hatchback focus on the shitty mud roads and seeing only big rigs. It so badly wants to be a rally machine. I dont know about the ferarris for fishing, this is what i wish i could take fishing but storage is an issue and theft probability is HIGH.

<iframe title ="Preview" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" frameborder="0" style="width:320px;height:213px;padding:0;background-color:#fcfcfc;" src="http://cid-9f69e5c27366a363.skydrive.live.com/embedphoto.aspx/.Public/My%20Bike/101^_0572.JPG"></iframe>

4. CLO

CLO It's not the fly, you suck.

One of the Ferrari's crashed on patterson lake road and one caught on fire in the parking lot haha

5. CLO

The river is going to be a zoo this year..

6. plugboots

plugboots Member

Saw the one by Patterson, and there was one parked at Les Schwab. One good point, though, is they generally go UNDER the deer here.

7. Brazda

Brazda Fly Fishing guide "The Bogy House" Lodge

Home Page:
    Remember that steelhead are co-managed, that means the TRIBES also have agreements with the owners of the DAMS, and enforce the hatchery program to fulfill there comercial needs.

2009,,,, I am happy to just be able to fish the same waters as I did when I was a kid. I really want them to be natives and to release what I catch but with as much development the entire Columbia has had we are lucky that the FED"S have done what they have to restore what they can. My only fears are the quality of the fishermen when you have a high limit Kill fishery,,,you know like the Puyallup, Humptulips and nearly any other Salmon hatchery fishery.

8. Klickman

Klickman Fisherman

I hope your kidding. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Klickman

9. Klickman

Klickman Fisherman

So people can fish for more than a weekend.

10. CLO

exactly...

11. jackchinook

jackchinook Member

What's wrong with trying to provide for a fishery...when that's part of the legislative mandate of the agency? Otherwise, they could just pay a handful of techs to work in the dam, bonking fish as they swim through the ladders. How much fun would that be?

12. Ryan Nathe

Ryan Nathe Member

Brazda, I am really surprised you say "we are lucky that the FED"S have done what they have to restore what they can". In my opinion the Feds have come up with half-assed restoration plans that continue to rely on hatchery plants even though it has been shown that hatchery fish negatively impact wild steelhead. This allows for business as usual. Dams stay in place, shipping stays open and we pay millions upon millions to pump smolts into the system that die in huge proportions. Just look at the new BioOP from the Obama administration that is based off the Bush administration BioOP... It fails to use sound science to protect these ESA listed animals. Steelhead are at less than 5% historical abundance! For Christ sake how much further are we going to let it slide?

Klickman and CLO: I stand by my statement. For clarification I would not feel so strongly about this if we were talking about a strong wild run that was intelligently co-managed with a hatchery for sport, but that is not what we have. They are opening the Methow to get rid of the hatchery fish. That is the point. You can argue about length of season or whatever but the point is every hatchery fish you remove from that river is a gift you are giving to the wild steelhead that remain.

13. Ryan Nathe

Ryan Nathe Member

Lifted from the closing paragraph of a wild salmon center paper:

"The Columbia River may singularly be the greatest, and certainly the most
    expensive, failure in the history of fish and wildlife restoration that has ever occurred."

Yeah I am not as appreciative as some about what the feds have succeeded with in this case.

14. Brazda

Brazda Fly Fishing guide "The Bogy House" Lodge

Home Page:
    Ryan
    Sorry to sound like a sell out, but things could be worse,,,,,much worse!!!

I do agree that there are other solutions, and I reiterate the Tribal issue that we are bound by, I grew up watching the outcome of such a social and personal issue, I have seen the habitat issue get better, I have seen the catch and release issue get accepted, if I see the UC issue get resolved it may be the greatest fishery action known in the history of the US.
    I also like the fact that there are people such as yourself to carry a very heavy torch, one that I carried for a very long time and have no more energy to do so. There are younger more educated idividuals possably such as yourself. Keep the passion you are the future of making a difference! For now I wish to rest on my experiences and catch as many damn steelhead as possable wile we can.

By the way in my experience the best way for steelhead runs to survive is to allow them to!
    They will take care of themselves if they survive the treck to and from the ocean,,,period!

Fight the wars we could possably win: gill nets, predation,(bass, walley, overpopulated birds),common sense,,well,,, that may be the toughest of them all.

Thanks Ryan and send me that Bio-OP.

15. Klickman

Klickman Fisherman

Of course we need to harvest all the hatchery fish but why waste them. To waste a fish is really low. Might as well snag it too.

KLICKMAN