Absolutely newbie: building first fly fishing rods

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by Smike, May 4, 2017.

1. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Well-Known Member

Smike,

If you're just wanting to try fly fishing and not even sure if you're going to like it enough to make it "your" hobby, then I agree with Phil about not building a fly rod. The cheapest entry into fly fishing with equipment that is worth bringing home from the store and usable is something like a Cabela's Three Forks fly rod at $65. I have a couple; they're not my best, but they are plenty good enough to take along as back up gear when I travel. The cheapest good fly line that I know of is the Hook & Hackle house labeled brand around $35 or so. The cheapest good fly reel is most any old fly reel off E-bay in the $15 to $35 range listed in good or better condition. Those old school fly reels don't wear out, don't look cool enough, aren't worth much, but they totally work. YOU DO NOT NEED A DISC DRAG REEL no matter what anyone else tells you unless you are going to fish for large salt water gamefish. 40 years ago almost no reels came with disc drags. About those old reels, almost no one follows up on that suggestion, so the reels remain a cheap alternative for thrifty shoppers looking for good stuff cheap. The reels you listed are not good examples of what I consider good enough quality at a low price. And yes, I am biased. I've been doing this long enough to make most mistakes. Some of them twice.

Now, if you think you'd like to build your own fly rod, and most of us do think it is fun - I've been doing it for over 40 years - I second the suggestion of a Rainshadow/Forecast kit from H & H. I just built one for kicks this winter. Got the whole shebang for $88. Kits are cheaper than buying the parts individually. I know because I've usually bought them individually in order to get exactly what I wanted.

Sg

PhilR likes this.
  2. Lue Taylor

Lue Taylor Lue Taylor/dbfly

Smike I was going to add to this post once you mention that you are a engineers there's nothing I can add I already have someone that tries to improve the wheel:D

PhilR likes this.
  3. Bonsai

Bonsai Jerry

Smike , you are getting a lot of good info. I have 3 of the Cabela's Three Forks fly rods (2 - 3 wts. and a 5 - wt.). I like all three of them. But then I haven't seen many fly rods I didn't like. With a little ingenuity you can make most of the equipment you need to build a fly rod. I get most of my blanks, cork, reel seats and guides at Utmost Enterprises / Fisherman's Outlet in Sequim. If you order on line you will only get the catalog prices. If you take a trip to Sequim (Call a head to make sure they are open) and you are not fussy as to the number of pieces or color you can get some wonderful prices. I have a 2 piece 2 wt. rod I got for $20. On Saturday June 24th at 9am. some of us are getting together to showoff our bamboo and fiberglass rods. Let me know if you are able to come and I will bring some of my stuff to show you. The Location is Cascade View Neighborhood Park in Redmond, WA (16202 NE 40th St).

4. Richard E

Richard E Active Member

Where did you find this? I have a couple of blanks I have acquired that need built, and don't really see myself really building any more in the future. I recognize the value of a power or motorized dryer, but also see it can be a big investment. So, value is important to me when I plan to only build/wrap a couple of blanks.

Thanks in advance for your input!

5. Richard E

Richard E Active Member

That's really a standard length rod, not a "switch" rod length, so be careful. Not sure if there is a formal definition for switch rods, but generally I think it might be fly rods that are between 10 and 12' in length equipped with a two handed grip/butt.

6. Bonsai

Bonsai Jerry

Smike, remember next Saturday June 24th at 9am. we are getting together to showoff our bamboo and fiberglass rods. I will be bringing some of my rod building stuff that I have made. I only have about $10 invested in my rod drier and about the same in wrapping station. The Location is Cascade View Neighborhood Park in Redmond, WA (16202 NE 40th St).