Adapting Partridge Bait Hooks to Flies?

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Southsound, Jan 2, 2007.

1. Southsound

Southsound Steve Cole - Nisqually and Adjacent Environs

I recently obtained a slew of older, pre-Mustad Partridge hooks. The guy I bought them from strongly implied that these hooks were older salmon hooks but when I got them in the mail, it was apparent that he had made a mistake as the hooks are all bait hooks with straight, round eyes. That said, I am trying to come up with some ways of adapting the hooks (almost 500 of them) for flies as they are of high quality and the shank lengths, bends, and finish (black) are similar to salmon hooks. I was think that I could use some of the smaller sizes as hooks for tube flies and wonder if anyone else might have an opinion on that. Also, for the larger sizes (1 - 3/0) I am considering using a micro-torch to straighten the eyes, then tapering them for use as blind-eye hooks. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Steve Cole
    Tumwater, WA

2. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Why not leave them as is? I tie on upturned eyes, straight eyes, down eyes - basically whatever I have. They may not look 'traditional', but they should be functional.

3. halcyon

halcyon Hallelujah, I'm a Bum!!!

If they look like this [​IMG]

and have a return loop eye with tapered return wire.
    They are the old Partridge Bob Johns Winter Run hook which is a fine steelhead hook. I will buy all you want to sell.

Regards,

4. Southsound

Southsound Steve Cole - Nisqually and Adjacent Environs

Nope... the difference is in the eye which is simply a round eye on the hooks I have, like the Tiemco 200R with no tapered return. The hook bend is similar to the hook you have there and the shank is a bit longer with lighter wire. The current Partridge model is the GSF - S3. I have a so-so photo of them from Partridge's web site.

Just curious, why is there a tapered return on the eye's of salmon hooks?

Thanks All...

Steve

5. halcyon

halcyon Hallelujah, I'm a Bum!!!

In the days of gut leaders when you played large fish for any length of time if the eye was not closed and smooth the gut could be easily frayed and break. The return loop eye does not expose the end of the wire at the eye. At least that is the way I understand it.

Regards,

6. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

My understanding also; and what Bruce doesn't take, I will.:D

Fred