Advanced Indicator Rig Instructional Video

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Jason Cotta, Oct 17, 2013.

1. PT

PT Physhicist

Nick, get a single action reel and long rod for your downrigger fishing. Fish herring or spoons stacked above your flasher (flasher attached to downrigger ball) so it's not attached to your line. Fish plugs with no flasher for kings.

2. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Chris, attaching the flasher to the ball is something I see mentioned more and more and is something I need to learn. Do you just use a snap swivel or whatever and clip it on directly to the ball? How far off the ball do you run it? I'd love to be able to utilize the effectiveness of a flasher without having to fight the damn thing along with the fish.

3. Nick Clayton

I am hoping to get better geared up this winter. I picked up a couple outfits to use this summer, but they really aren't that great for downrigger fishing. I have been out of gear fishing for so long. I reckon I should find a good local sporting goods store and go in and spend some time, and some money, figuring out what I want.

I fished with a guy this summer who had longer, softer rods and they were a hoot. He had Avet reels, which sure did make it easy to keep up with a running king.

4. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

I have a hard time seeing the difference between lead added to a fly body for weight, a bead/cone added to the fly for weight, or a split shot added to the tippet for weight. All serve the exact same purpose - to get the FLY down. You have a fly rod/reel, you're casting a fly line, and you're using a fly - sounds like fly fishing to me.

5. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Can you cast your fly at the end of 10 feet of leader, some lead weight and a float with a bait caster? Can you cast your fly at the end of 30 feet of sinking tip fly line plus 10 feet of tippet and no other added weight with a bait caster?

Irafly likes this.
  6. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

Not with the amount of lead you'd use on a nymph rig. I'm sure you could cast some of the big heavy cone head streamers people swing with (sculpzilla, etc) on a gear rod with no additional weight needed though.

7. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

You missed the point...

8. Nick Clayton

I'd be willing to bet I could lob a chunk of T-14 and an intruder with a gear rod easily enough

9. Jason Rolfe

Jason Rolfe Wanderer

I'd say Kerry makes a good point though.

You might be able to fling a cast out there with a nymph rig or t-whatever on a gear rod--but would you be able to cast it effectively for the situation? Would you be able to fish it effectively?

To me, fly casting=fly fishing. There are limits to how far you can take that, and I would put the line between the two (gear and fly) somewhere around where those limits are.

Take beach fishing for example. I could tie a jig to look like a pink/white clouser and fish that with a spinning rod. Or I can tie a regular clouser with dumbell eyes (or even something lighter and throw on a couple pieces of splilt shot) and fish that with a fly rod. Both are going to do about the same thing. Both are mention to have a certain action and fish a certain way. But you can't really interchange them effectively without changing some things.

I kept telling myself I wouldn't enter this. But Kerry struck a chord there, I guess.

Irafly likes this.
  10. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

"I kept telling myself I wouldn't enter this."

Same here. I tried hijacking this thing but that didn't work either. There will be no convincing anyone in either direction. This argument will continue on and on and on.

David Dalan and Nick Clayton like this.
  11. Jason Rolfe

Jason Rolfe Wanderer

Yep. It's fun though. At least as long as people don't get offended by other's opinions. Oh wait, I forgot, this is the internet.

I'd like to hear some more stories about people throwing things like Dick Nite's with the spey rod. I'm pretty sure I'm going to do that at some point this winter, just for the hell of it, and probably after several beers.

12. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

Gotcha. Read it too quickly. I'm also not here to change anyone's mind - just bored at work! Hell, I haven't done either for steelhead so what do I know?

13. underachiever

underachiever !

dick nites on a fly rod totally work. They're way lighter than a lot of the hefty flies the Spey bro'z chuck.

14. constructeur

constructeur Active Member

$.02- I don't really care so much about definitions, but more the attitude that comes with bead fishing, and I have a dedicated bead rig (10' spinning set up) for kids and newbs in the boat at all times.

Anymore (for guides) it's about getting people on fish, bottom line. Rowing over others water? That's cool now. Fishing right below someone that's currently swinging a run? That's how we do on the Columbia tribs.

It's not like holding a fish out of water for a pic or 3 is a huge deal to such a robust fish, but to teach people that the rules are to be followed as you see fit, is lamesauce.

Can't remember the last time I saw a dude swinging being a douchewaffle out on the drink.

tkww, Jason Rolfe and PT like this.
  15. tkww

tkww Member

Well said.