Advice Needed--Cascade Lakes Trip

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by LCnSac, Jun 19, 2014.

1. LCnSac

LCnSac John or "LC"

Home Page:
    We'll be in Sunriver for a week over the 4th, and I am bringing my boat and plan to use it. While back in the 80s and 90s I had some of these lakes down, I haven't done very well the last couple of trips, but they've been in August so the expectations weren't high. Here's my tentative plan--comments and advice much appreciated.

Craine: I've always fished Cultus Channel to Rock Creek, or walking in from the locked gate with a tube. Now I understand it's mostly indicator fishing, and I'm not willing to do that. Can we still strip those channels with some success?

Davis: Last time according to my notes was 1998 and I got a 6 lb. rainbow--at least my notes say that;-). That was before the big bass intrusion. Will I miss the trout season there? I'm not interested in fishing for LMB anytime on this trip.

East: Haven't fished it in the last 10 years. Should be pretty good? Callibaetis?

Lava: Two years ago I really scored there--on chubs. Not one trout. I've heard there are some really good fish there, true? Techniques?

Crooked River: Don't know it, fished it once during the winter. Someone told me just below the dam there are some large trout. True? Worth it?

Billy Chinook: Never fished it, heard the smallies are good. No idea where, or, again, if it's worth the trip.

Hosmer: Probably not, I'm just tired of it and the sightseers in canoes. Atlantics aren't that great IMO, but I might go up one night in the tube and pitch some dries.

Lower D: Not this time

Fall River: Sure, fun for an hour in the evenings, hatchery or FS road.

Corrections, comments,missing waters, and especially advice so much appreciated! Thanks!

2. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

Crane hates me and I'm not all that great using indicators so I personally wouldn't go there.

Davis: Ruined by the illegal planting of the LMB. There are some large bows remaining but they are few and far between.

East: I love East and it loves me. East would be my top choice and yes, Callibaetis is the ticket -- plus damselflies and midges.

Lava: Latest reports are good. I imagine that will continue into July.

Crooked: Sometimes good, sometimes not. The level is dam controlled so it just depends on the flow. Usually a dry fly fishery according to whatever is hatching.

LBC: Primarily an early Spring deal. I wouldn't bother in July.

Hosmer: Love to death by anything that swims or floats. The most beautiful lake I used to fish but haven't returned once it became popular.

Fall River: Sure, I like downstream from the hatchery.

3. LCnSac

LCnSac John or "LC"

Home Page:
    Thanks, Gene, I was hoping you'd chime in. If your take on Davis and Crane is right I won't even need the boat, pontoon should be fine. Plus, towing it really slows us up in the California portion as we have to go 55. In Oregon, with California plates, you do not exceed the limit--even by one MPH anyway, but they don't have special regs for >2 axles at least on 97.

We obviously agree on Hosmer. What a jewel. Then Eugene discovered it…

4. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

East is a large lake so a boat would be handy but certainly not required. I use my SuperCat at East and it's a very small pontoon boat.

Davis is a tragedy. The younger guys, new to flyfishing, weren't around when the lake was full of steelhead size rainbow so all they know it as is a LMB flyfishing only fishery. Very sad.

Crane is indicator central. The guys who do the best use indicators and have a lot of patience... which I'm lacking.

5. bakerite

bakerite Active Member

I second Gene on East, high enough to still have low water temps in a couple of weeks and regulation changes and stocking changes have helped the fishery. They have stocked Blackwater rainbows from BC and allow no harvest of them (non clipped adipose fin). They have also changed the regs to not allow harvest of browns over 16" (most of the fish). When I was there last August I caught browns, bows (both strains), Atlantics and some real good sized kokes all in the same evening stripping calibatis nymphs out of my tube. I fished Lava this May and did very well for 12 to 16 inch trout, probably 20 fish in a morning. I fished Hosmer one evening last August and had a great evening.....it was a rainy kind of day and that kept the kayak fleet away! They are stocking rainbows and cuts in Hosmer now. My initial reaction was negative, but I caught some bows that had grown nicely in a couple of months. There should be some nice rainbows in there this year.

6. LCnSac

LCnSac John or "LC"

Home Page:
    Really. That's certainly a new program. I guess I'll have to try it early before the naturalists and SUPers awake. Thanks, Bakerite.

7. ceviche

ceviche Active Member

Hosmer might be a paddler's paradise and a fly angler's nightmare, but there are huge brookies there to be had. The aesthetics of the view is unparalleled. When I was there, back a couple of weeks ago, I didn't find the paddlers that annoying. Besides, it seems they're out there only during a window of time during the day. Weekends, though, might find them more often and in greater numbers. Weather that makes trout more amenable to catching tends to keep the paddlers away, so I wouldn't worry too much about that issue.

BTW, I found a callibaetis spinner pattern was the most productive when wind drifted over spots where fish are holding. Of course, nymphs would make sense, too.

--Dave E.

LCnSac and Nooksack Mac like this.
  8. timlind

timlind Active Member

East Lake is hot. Heading there again tomorrow

9. LCnSac

LCnSac John or "LC"

Home Page:
    Interesting because I've never caught a brookie at Hosmer this time of year, only in the fall and not on the boat ramp, lol.

10. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

The floating craft doesn't bother me at Hosmer... it's the screaming kids jumping off the rock bluffs and into the lake that bothers me... and the fish :)

Of course, there was that one year that some guys showed up to practice with their Hawaiian style war canoe for an upcoming race... they were a bit loud with their chanting and all.

You gott'a remember, when I first started fishing Hosmer, the road to the lake was gravel, the campground was small, with one primitive outhouse and at any one time, there's be a max of six boats on the entire lake... even on a Saturday.

So for me, the lake has drastically changed. Still beautiful. Just a lot more noisy than it was when I first started fishing there.