Advice on rafts for fishing

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Poff, Feb 4, 2014.

1. Linkj

Linkj Link Jackson

Home Page:
    Two cents from left field here....I found that diminished tube boats when loaded up with three guys and an anchor experience a problem with supporting the weight in the aft of the craft...the Anchor hanging from it's support structure causes a bit of Fulcrum and Lever effect exerting exaggerated downward force on the rear then add a man sitting on the rear tube and an oarsman sitting 25" behind center line and it puts 3/4 of the payload right on the point where the tubes diminish resulting in deep draft at that point, tail dragging and diminished performance overall.

2. Itchy Dog

Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Home Page:

I'm no salesman, but I'll answer that: Stream Tech Boats. Highly-rockered rafts designed specifically for fishing, built by Maravia for Stream Tech.

For many years I pondered raft vs. hard boat, and after having rowed a couple different rafts I was set on a hard boat. Until I rowed Derek's Stream Tech Green Drake about 4 years ago. That changed my mind and recently I picked up my own Stream Tech. Mind you I'm by no means a highly experienced rower. I've spent my fair share of time on the oars of boats belonging to others, but this is my first river boat. Safety of a raft, handling and maneuverability of a hard boat. They row nothing like the rafts I've rowed before.

John Hicks likes this.
  3. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

My Streamtech Salmonfly handles every bit as well as any hard boat I have ever rowed, and a huge leap better than any raft. It can also be used in far more sketchy water than a hard boat. There is, however, a compromise on interior space. But that was a tradeoff I was willing to make.

John Hicks likes this.
  4. nutsack angler

nutsack angler newb

I have been rowing a Streamtech Green Drake raft for close to 6 years now and I love it but it's no drift boat. All folks who have manned the oars ranging from fishing guides to fish bums, river rats, whitewater guides, etc. all agree that while it's arguably the best handling fishing raft out there capable of safely handling big water, it's definitely not a drift boat. Drift boats don't have tubes that need to be pumped up. Drift boats have thin solid floors and gunnels that allow for more space and provide a solid fishing platform. Drift boats have hard chines and full rockers that perform much differently than rafts. compromise?

I chose Streamtech because I felt it was the best fishing raft for my intended purposes on the market. Since then I haven't rowed any raft that has convinced me otherwise but I definitely haven't rowed a drift boat that hasn't out-performed my raft. The Streamtech product is indestructible and the customer service is top notch. It's a phenomenal company that I always highly recommend to anybody looking for a good fishing raft hence my offer to the original poster to come check out the boat.

Jerry Daschofsky and PT like this.
  5. Poff

Poff Member

I would love to test drive your setup, but I'm on the other side of the country. Great offer though.

I continue to be impressed at how willing people are to share their experiences and expertise.

Thanks to all who have posted thus far.

6. Peyton00

Peyton00 Active Member

I have oared wooden, aluminum and glass drift boats,including the streamtech.

I was very much impressed with the streamtech, it spun like a top and moved like a cat.

I wanted one of each, but had to compromise......

I built a 16' toon. Its a little sluggish, especially when fully loaded and carrying 3 big adults.
    I float the Yakima and smaller rivers. I fish big rivers and lakes with my gas/electric motors. On the big rivers its a long.... slow..... trip back up to the boat launches with a 15hp motor.:(

My boat doesnt have a 5 star rating for any single body of water, but I can fish just about anywhere, and i am comfortable and safe.

Cons:
    The inflatables (the vulnerability factor) which has subsided somewhat, since i have used it so much and the toons are quality built.
    Its trailered.
    It doesn't have gunwales/sideboards for safety and support.
    It moves easy in the wind/ no protection from wind either.

Pros:
    Its my own creation
    It can float same water as DB's and rafts
    It can motor up big rivers
    It can be carried by two guys (void of gear) pretty far if needed.
    100% welded.. no nuts and bolts.
    Its paid for.:D

7. Peyton00

Peyton00 Active Member

I was drinking when i made the last post. I dont really know what my point was.... beside the compromise part, i think i went on a booze filled rant.

Steezn290 likes this.
  8. PT

PT Physhicist

You got your point across a whole lot better than I used to be able to. ;)

nutsack angler and Blake Harmon like this.
  9. Arlen

Arlen New Member

I hope you folks don't mind if I jump in here and ask a question of those of you with Streamtech or Maravia boats. I've been a member here for quite a while, and I know some of the other members, but somehow haven't posted anything until now. Anyway, my question relates to the floors of the Streamtechs. They are described as "drop stitch" floors, virtually rigid. Do you have any problems standing on them to fish? And are they tough enough to withstand studded boots? I get out of the boat a lot to wade fish, and here in western Oregon most of the rivers really require studded boots to avoid busting your rear on the slippery rocks.

10. PT

PT Physhicist

You're going to want a hard floor for those studs. No way around that regardless which raft you're in.

11. Freestone

Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Get some 'Shoe Ins', 'Yuleys' or old fashioned rubbers/overshoes.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. pbunbury

pbunbury Tights Lines

13. Steezn290

Steezn290 Member

I have heard that these boats row better than a raft but I would wait longer to see what durability/safety is like over the first 5 years or so of production. They are a new product and I'm curious to see if they will last 20 years like a raft.

14. Arlen

Arlen New Member

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I've had a Fishcraft Supercat raft for about 8 years, and it has hard (tough-coated plywood) inserts for the floor. I've had no problem wearing studded boots in this raft. The studs don't hurt the floor, and I'm always careful when I'm getting in and out not to put the studs on the raft itself. That may not be possible on the StreamTechs though, which is why I asked.

I guess if I get a StreamTech, I may have to buy some sort of slip-over stud protectors like Freestone mentioned. Thanks for that suggestion, I had not heard of those before.

15. Derek Young

Derek Young Emerging Rivers Guide Services

Home Page:
    Anti-fatigue mats, like sold at home improvement stores, can be cut to fit the floor. I keep them with me for occasions where guests have studded boots. Much less lighter weight than wood or metal floors - why add weight, maintenance?

Lugan likes this.