Aeneas first report

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Topstoy, Apr 27, 2013.

1. Topstoy

Topstoy In search of Trout

So I wake up at 6:30, the lake is like glass, there is one guy on the lake. I have coffee and watch a little TV to wake up looking at the water that is just beautiful. At 8:00 I haul my pontoon and gear down to the water and come up to put my waders and boots on. I can't wait, the moment is here! I am all set and grab my rods and turn around to step off the deck, the fist gust of wind for the day hit me. I walk down to the boat to put my flippers on and lean my rods onto the boat. The wind blows them over. With flippers on I managed to get in the pontoon and try to fight to get away from shore and out of the reeds so I can use my oars. I am 10 feet from shore as I see the first signs of white caps developing. I am now trying to get my fly in the water and line off of the reel as I kick as hard as I can to keep forward motion. I finally manage to get enough line out to be able to put the rod in the rod holder and have free arms to manage the oars. I row and I row against the wind. I look to the south and see a couple other pontoons fighting to get back to shore. I managed to make it a hundred yards or so up wind and now the white caps are getting big. I decided to let the wind blow me back towards where I came from. It did, and about 2 minutes later I was blown into the reeds next to my launch. That was it for this morning. This plateau does have the nick name of the windy flats......

It's now 1 hr later after I steped off of the porch and I am having another cup of coffee and listening to the wind howling. I love it here!

2. Golden Trout

Golden Trout Active Member

Only the 2nd time in 40 years I have not been on Aeneas Lake for the opener. Truck is dead and needs a new engine. Just saying, there are worse things than the wind.

3. Topstoy

You bet, I can wait out the wind, maybe tomorrow, maybe Monday, I'm here for the long haul. Sorry about your truck.....

Mark Kraniger likes this.
  4. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Jeez, the nightmare of being blown into the north end in the rain, lightning, and the dark came roaring back...been there, done that.

5. Topstoy

I remember your story well from last year! I made it out this morning before the wind picked up. Didn't start blowing until about 10:30. Had a nice morning with a couple to the net and a couple broke my tippet. A half dozen other strikes. With the forecast for wind for the next two days I likely won't be out there again until Tuesday. Now that I have retired, I am pretty much here all the time. If you ever get blown to the end, look me up.