"Affordable" big, fast fish reels?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by SilverFly, May 27, 2008.

1. SilverFly

SilverFly Active Member

Thanks for all the feedback. The Sealevel reels look like kind of solid, no-nonsense stuff I want. A buddy offered a used Ross BG7 at a very good price so I'll pick that up but still might get a new reel so please keep the feedback coming.

Thanks again.

2. Richard E

Richard E Active Member

I'd be all over the BG7. Though not quite in the echelon of the Tibor, Pates, Abels, et al, it's a darn nice reel and should service you well.

Congrats. I wish I had one. :thumb:

Another reel that you may consider is the Redington Brakewater 11/12. It's very similar to the Tempest (the Brakewater debuted when Redington was still owned by Jim Murphy; Jim sold Redington, started Albright, and offered the Tempest, a reel similar in many ways to the Brakewater). The Redington CDL Titanium, which replaced the Brakewater, is a good reel for the money, but if given the choice I prefer the Brakewater.

Those TFO reels are daaaang good, though, particularly that Hayden. You could build a house with one of those, and it would keep working. Heavy and built to last.

3. rick matney

rick matney Active Member

That's the reason i metioned them. I haven't blown mine up..........yet.

4. Ryan Buccola

Ryan Buccola I ain't broke but brother I am badly bent

Home Page:
    try the reddington 9/10...Sweet for the $$ i think about $239

5. greenriver

greenriver Member

Bauer Junior Mac series can be bought for $165 on that auction site

6. docspratley

docspratley New Member

you might take a look at the German made Vosesler S reals. They are strong and you do not have to spend a ton on money. Meiser has them.:thumb:

7. docspratley

docspratley New Member

You might look at the German made Vosesler S reels. They are strong and not out of sight in price. Meiser carries them.

8. docspratley

docspratley New Member

:thumb:

9. PT

PT Physhicist

Doc, say it a fourth time and we might get the message;)

10. stan

stan Banned or Parked

Ummm, He asks for a reel in the $100 range and you give him a reel in the $350 range?
    BTW, in another thread people were talking about cheap one way clutch's, the mid arbor barstock reel being put out by Derek Mckenzie outdoors has a machined one way clutch bearing system on them...zero backlash, even with the drag set to zero. It will retail for just over $100.

11. Steve Birrer

Steve Birrer Active Member

Silver Fly

Not sure hwo much these trips are going to cost you but I will echo the comments of others. You are already going to be plunking down a fair amount of change for these trips. Why risk it with inexpensive gear? Yes they can and do work but they are also MUCH more prone to failure that a top quality reel like an Abel or Tibor.

I don't know about you but I don't get to the salt that often so when I do I don't want equipment failures. If I screw up so be it but (and thats often the case) but it sure isn't going to be becaause I plunked $3K down on a trip and then took questionable equipment.

Good luck.

12. Matt Paluch

Matt Paluch Active Member

Home Page:
    I hadn't heard of these before, but according to their website that reel is only available up to a 7/8. Far too small for Tarpon and Tuna.

13. sothereiwas

sothereiwas Member

One thing to keep in mind is that you can get enough backing on a smaller reel if you use Gel Spun. But I think you will run into issues with like pick up. I run a Ross Momentum 8 on my 12wt for this reason. The smaller the reel is the faster its going to be spinning when that tuna puts the hammer down.

Brad

14. docspratley

docspratley New Member

I must have had a lot of ice water to get this messed up and post 3 times. I even spelled it wrong. Sorry.

15. stan

stan Banned or Parked

I would give Steve Hoagland of Derek McKenzie Outdoors a email ( derekmck@derekmckenzie.com.au), he does bench testing of drags, and is a expert on drags and is coming out with a mid arbor barstock reel in the just over $100 range with a US partner. There was a discussion about one way bearings, and the bearing on his barstock reels in the $100- $125 range are machined