"Affordable" big, fast, fish reels?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by SilverFly, May 27, 2008.

1. SpeySpaz

SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

Dudes, don't agonize. Spend the 400$ and get a Lamson Litespeed 4. Light, purty, bulletproof, and maintenance free, and they back their product to the hilt.
    If a lesser reel blows up on you or doesn't last, is it really a bargain?
    And no I don't work for lamson, but I do own a bunch of them.

2. alpinetrout

alpinetrout Banned or Parked

I own several Lamson reels and have always been happy with their performance, but there's no way in hell I'd use one for tarpon or albacore. I've used my Litespeed 3.5 on small tuna up to about 15 pounds and that's about as fast a fish as I felt comfortable using the conical drag on. I would choose any of the previously mentioned reels over the Litespeed for this type of fishing.

3. SpeySpaz

I disagree, I'd be happy using it for Chinook/Albacore, but you may have a point on the big tarpon-that would be pushing it.
    have you ever seen the conical drag fail? I'm curious.

4. alpinetrout

SpeySpaz - I haven't personally had one fail, but I also don't push the limits of their capabilities. It's just a matter of confidence and experience. Like I said, I own multiple Litespeeds and fish them regularly, they just aren't anywhere near the top of the list when it comes to rigging up for fish that really pull. I've proven my other fly reels on fish up to several hundred pounds and I know those reels will perform. The Litespeed is a great trout/salmon/steelhead reel, but it's out of its class when it comes to things like tarpon, tuna, and trevally. I like the Lamsons and I'm not trying to trash them, but like anything else, they have their limits. Also, there has been an influx of quality, inexpensive reels on the market over the past few years that really make it hard to recommend the Litespeed for best bang for the buck when you're on a tight budget.

One other thing I forgot to mention is that the Litespeed is a rather flimsy reel and it will flex under strain. I fight fish hard and put a lot of pressure on them and have found that lightweight, flexible reels do not fare well when you're really putting heat on the fish.

Based on your choice of words, "I'd be happy using it for Chinook/Albacore", it sounds like you haven't actually put it to the test. Is that the case?

5. Ken Hunter

Ken Hunter Member

6. SpeySpaz

So in your experience the drag actually hasn't failed, but the frame flexes too much for "fish that really pull". I've had that happen myself on big salmon on a short line, and at moments thought I might bind the spool up because of frame flex, but the drag has never ever failed. So your assertion about the conical drag is an opinion or preference rather than a fact, as is mine. When I reach the limits of my tackle I adjust and compensate. I think there is a brand of fisherman who simply tightens drag when fish pulls hard...puts on heavier tippet when he breaks himself off, etc...I think that brings up the very valid question of fish fighting style and rigging. I personally feel you can max out a 20 lb tippet with a Litespeed 4 without undue cage/frame distortion, and if Silverfly needs more than that, especially for one trip, he should heed your caveats.
    To answer you last question: Chinook yes and recently. Albacore, not on the fly, but I do know the fight on other tackle and they are rockets. And I think it would be OK with an L4, a handful, challenging, and very sporty. From your last post, with your fish fighting style, I wouldn't recommend this reel though. 'Course I was posting my opinion in answer to Silverfish's question...I wasn't expecting a passive/agressive point scorer to be lying in wait.
    Get a grip man.

7. Richard E

Richard E Active Member

iagreeiagree

I agree big time. The Litespeed has many good points, but IMHO, Lamson machined waaaay too much out of the frame and there is substantial frame flex. With that said, I don't have any experience with the larger Litespeeds, but in hand the design concept seems similar for the LS4 as it does for the smaller models.

My Brakewater frame flexes and will have some slight spool bind when I'm pulling really hard and winding down. My Abel reels don't have that issue; but they're obviously a whole lot more moola.

Hey, I think someone mentioned it already on this duplicate posting in the general forum, but the TFO Hayden reels are a great buy, bulletproof with a simple drag engagement and drag system that is proven. They are a bit on the heavy side relative to some of the other offerings out there, but they are a built like a tank. The TFO 425, the next price point down, is a very nice reel, particuarly for the money. These should be on your list of reels to consider.

8. SpeySpaz

Richard, question about the Galvans you mentioned earlier-
    are those cork composite drag, Rlon, what are the disks composed of?
    I noted many Mid/low range reels out now have drags that seem destined to begin skreeking after a couple seasons...my main objection to cork.

9. Porter

Porter Active Member

I concur with Alpine on the Lamson...and I easily give in to the my Ross BG for bigger fish.
    I have been really impress with the Galvan T-6 I recently picked up, but have yet to put it through a real test.

10. alpinetrout

That's cute. Passive aggressive? Hardly. Come back when you have some experience to back up your theories of what you "think" might work.

Shortly after it came out, I had problems with the TFO 425 flexing to the point that the spool was grinding against the frame. I reported the problem back to TFO and I believe they made some slight design changes to beef it up based on similar feedback from others, but haven't had a chance to give one of the newer models a shot.

11. Richard E

Richard E Active Member

Yeah, quit using them on makos and use class tippet 20# and lighter . . . just kidding (about the class tippet, that is). :)

I also understand the frame as been stiffened.

12. SpeySpaz

chinook, bones, tarpon if lucky, and an albie charter. that's what this string started with. I believe you guys aren't talking about what this string started out on.
    trolls.

13. alpinetrout

You're right, except for the bones - no one's mentioned those until now. You've got to admit that "Dudes, don't agonize. Spend the 400$ and get a Lamson Litespeed 4" is a pretty bold statement to make after so much good advice had already been offered up by people who knew what they were talking about.

As for your troll comment, don't you have some offs to fuck?

14. SpeySpaz

keep it clean, jerkytrout.
    nothing wrong with making bold statements (look up forum in the dictionary), and there's nothing wrong with debate or even being corrected by civil and knowledgeable brother fishermen of misconceptions, but doing it in a rude and condescending way, or appearing to do it in such a way as to score points or amuse onlookers, is the online equivalent of a snagger on a salmon hole. or a troll under a bridge. off, yourself, and set a better example.

Interestingly, I don't disagree with what you or others have to say about reels, and yet I noted a couple of my questions have been ignored or points not addressed. Maybe you could answer the question I asked Richard about drag components in the Galvans-or the point re spool flex vs drag issues. I think Richard said a mouthful about machining all the way to the edge of flimsiness. You were too busy scoring points...
    I may not have your depth of experience in the salt in your specific field of interest, but I bet I know a few things you don't. You sound to me like an overblown sport who's made a few Caribbean trips and maybe Cabo a couple times and now you're the be-all of the sport, and you have license to thump on newbies to plump up your fragile ego. Bad form.

15. Porter

Porter Active Member

Wow...a real SPAZ on the forum

IGNORE ALL SPAZES :thumb: