Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

After the Hookset--a Video

682 views 18 replies 15 participants last post by  Peyton00 
#1 ·
I had hoped to produce at least 3 videos this winter--possibly 4. Hmmm... I have worked on them but alas, here is the first one I have actually finished. It is not meant to be instructional; it is just meant for fun. There are 8 takes and hooksets in this video. What I am focusing on is those seconds right after the hookset. Watch it on the full screen and in HD so you can see the fish more easily.

The last fish that jumps and summersaults is one of my favorite videos I have captured these past several seasons. He actually picks up the fly before I realize it; you can see the line move.

Enjoy.

#6 ·
That second take is my favorite! I kept playing it over and over again, the way that line just darts to the left, very visual! Awesome stuff, but I still don't think I'm ruined for trout, even after landing a few myself on the fly rod.

#12 ·
Woooohoo! It's on! There's feeding carp all over Banks lake. I got a tailer to eat yesterday evening, but missed the hookup.
You seeing anything down your way yet, Mr. P?

#16 ·
Well that looks like fun. I need to figure carp fishing out. I've gotten them to successfully eat a couple of times, but I don't have the hang of it yet. I'm surprised they don't spook at all when you drop the fly right on their nose like that? The takes are so subtle. How do you even know when they eat? Are you just watching for any movement from the fish, or do you actually feel the take? Great video by the way!

#17 ·
Thanks Tyler. I detect the vast majority of takes visually. My video is all 1080 HD. When you watch it by clicking the play arrow in the middle of the picture it defaults to a much lower setting. A person needs to click the gear at the bottom of the screen and choose 1080 HD. Sometimes the gear won't be visible until the video starts to play. Watch it on the full screen and that helps too. You will be able to see things better but in the end there are times when it is just not the same as actually seeing the fish live. That is particularly true when the water is murky.

Yes, I am watching for very subtle movement. Sometimes, not usually, the fish will turn and very clearly move towards the fly. It is usually not that aggressive. Sometimes I just see the fish's mouth open or the gills flare. Very often it is just a little turn or the fish moves just a matter of inches to the fly or dips down slightly to pick up the fly. Sometimes the only thing I see is the line move. It is, as I said, mostly visual even in cloudy water. Sometimes I miss detecting the take visually like I did on the last fish. He moved so consistently and smoothly without making a change when he picked up the fly I never saw it as it happened. He had the fly for a bit before I realized it. There are some takes, particularly in murky water, that I finally have to detect by feeling it. That said, I don't blind fish at all. I'm always casting to a specific target even in the worst conditions.

When the wind is blowing, the water is murky, and the devil clouds are blocking the sun, it gets tough to spot fish and to detect the take. Under these conditions there are times when I spot a fish but I'm not even sure which way he is pointing until he moves a bit or I get a little closer and can pick out his tail. I don't cast to a fish until I can see his head. That may be easy to do at 50 feet and it may be dang difficult to do at 15 feet; it depends on the conditions. I may only get one shot and I want to make sure it is to the end that eats.

I am working on a couple other videos. I might even finish them this year. The one I am farthest along on is all fish that were very close when I caught them. In a couple cases I was seeing the fish while I was presenting the fly to him but the camera doesn't pick up the fish until I set the hook. I did nevertheless see him move forward several inches and I knew it was an eat.

Learning to visually detect subtle takes is one of the challenges of carp fishing. In the end it is one of the many things that make carp fishing so engaging.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.