Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Aircraft in the Bogachiel

969 views 18 replies 16 participants last post by  MileHighFlyGuy 
#1 ·
So there i was fishing my first run on the boggie when a small plane kept buzzing by. Next thing you know he landed on the bank about 100 yards down from me. Pretty rough landing and i was for sure he was going to crash. Anyways they got out and started fishing. Anybody ever seen this before on the OP rivers?

#8 ·
I have no idea what the FAA regulations are for landing small planes. I do know that some guys from this side of Oregon would fly a small plane over to Mann Lake, land on the gravel road, move the plane off the road and fish the lake.

Then return in reverse order.

I've also seen a guy land a helicopter in a field next to the Metolius and he did so to fish the river.

You'd think there are some manner of federal restrictions out there as to where you can land an aircraft, under what circumstances and when... maybe not.

#10 ·
I fish the Hancock Treefarm in the foothills outside of Seattle. One day a guy comes in and lands a little float plane on the lake where I was fishing in float tubes with some friends. He proceeds to anchor up and string a fly rod and start casting from his pontoons. It was a big enough lake that it wasn't a problem. One of the guys in our group struck up a conversation with the guy and found out that he had built the plane himself. I think he said he used an old Suburu motor.

#11 ·
Still love those days on Lenore or Dry Falls when the C17's come sneaking up from behind, wind direction keeping their presence cloaked, then they are suddenly over you at 1500 feet rolling wings back and forth as they fill the sky... Go Blue!

#19 ·
Anybody ever seen this before on the OP rivers?
This guy has done this the last couple times I fished the lower Bogie. First time the river was running around 27 feet and he appeared to have more trouble taking off than landing. Earlier this week when the water level was a bit higher he flew over to take a look and thought better of it. Personally I find the Growlers flying over are more of a distraction, though if some day he augured in it might interrupt the fishing for a while.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.