Airflo Skagit Switch question

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by luke_flywalker19, Sep 21, 2017.

1. luke_flywalker19

luke_flywalker19 New Member

Hey guys I was wondering if you could help answer my question. I'm looking at the Airflo Skagit Switch for an 11' 7wt Loomis Pro 4x, but can't figure out if I should go with the line in 480gr or 510gr. I'm an amateur caster and am just kind of in between on what I should do. I'm thinking the 510gr at 20' to see how it is and then if it's too much just chopping it down a bit at a time to get my desired action. Is this an irrational thing to do or No? Thanks for the help!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

2. 4sallypat

4sallypat Active Member

Good choice on Airflo's short chunky line similar to the OPST.
    Great choice on rods - I love my G Loomis PRO 4X 5wt switch rod for trout!

As for your 7wt, I started out with 510 skagit and moved down to 450-480 after learning to cast different lines.
    The 510 is great to learn with if you are new and in waters that are not too fast (think Missouri river) casting lighter tips (T8/Z10), and medium flies.
    The lighter weight lines would be better to use in faster water, heavier tips, big flies.

I would not chop down a short chunky skagit because it changes the profile of the line and alters casting.
    Change out the tips to get the desired casting like a shortened floating MOW tip or the new OPST floating 5' or 7' tip would be good to reduce line stick on a switch rod.

3. luke_flywalker19

Right on thanks! I have a 350gr Commando head I'm also going to use so I'm going to see how the two compare between a heavier line and a lighter line and also like you stated different waters and flies.

The 510gr being heavier will allow me to slow my stroke and help properly load the rod with less then perfect casting techniques when compared to the 450-480gr yes?

4. 4sallypat

4sallypat Active Member

Yes, the 510gr will let you feel the loading and make intentional anchors easier. Just note that with such a short 19' head, it's easy to blow anchors so make the casts compact. BTW these lines like the water borne casts (Snap T, Double spey, Perry Poke).

I use a 375gr OPST Commando head on my 7wt switch rod and love it! It's my all around fishing setup for rivers, salt water, and lakes. I'm taking the 7wt setup to MT next month to swing some streamers on the Missouri when the wind kicks up.

Do definitely try the 350gr OPST on yours - I know that G Loomis rods take on very big range of line weights - even single handed lines. If you use the lighter weight line, you can compensate a bit with a slightly heavier and longer 10' tip like the MOW T11 to not blow your anchor.

As I use the 7wt rod a lot for many places, I have already amassed various lines: 510gr Skagit, 450gr Scandi, 480gr Rage, 10WF Single hand, 375 gr OPST, 480gr Airflo FIST, 480gr Intermediate and full sinking lines.

5. luke_flywalker19

Awesome thanks for the clarification and insight! Getting used to different grainages by different companies can be quite intimidating when first starting so I appreciate the help. Slowly but surely I'll begin to amass lines just like I have for single handers.

I'm stoked to give this line a shot next weekend. Do you prefer just regular level t material or more along the line of MOW tips?

6. tridentfly

tridentfly Active Member

For what it's worth, Loomis recommends a 450gr Skagit Scout on your rod.

I use MOW tips for Skagit work.

7. luke_flywalker19

Where did you find the recommendation? I had it once and can no longer find it.

8. jake-e-boy

jake-e-boy sans caféine

I would go with the scout over the switch, just trust me, I'm from the internet

Get a 480 Skagit scout

shotgunner likes this.