AK bows in late August.....possibly the Kenai area?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Gorgefly, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Gorgefly

Gorgefly Member

So I will be spending a week working / fishing around AK in August (second half of the month). I'll be fishing stillwater in the MatSu Valley, some of the Parks Hwy. streams on the way up to Fairbanks, grayling in the Chena and Delta Clearwater and then drive down to Valdez and probably catch a few pinks before taking the ferry back over to Whittier and then back to ANC where I fly home. I am trying to decide whether or not to move my flight and add an extra day fishing for dolliles and big bows somewhere down near the Kenai before I fly home. It would probably be a do-it-yourself wading thing. Anyone know of any areas that might work for this. I will be driving back to ANC and flying home on a red-eye that night so I could fish pretty much all day. I will have had my share of most of the other species by then but I really am after the bows and dollies. Anyone want to share some ideas. I have avoided the Kenai in the past but thought I might give it a shot finally.

Thanks in advance!

2. Robert Engleheart

Robert Engleheart Robert

This is being discussed right here; time frame is July/August. Later in August you'd do better and also have a shot at silvers. Above Kenai Lake, Quartz Creek is available for bank fishing, below the lake you can access at the mouth of the Russian (Sportsman's Landing) or Jim's Landing. If possible, hook up with a guide like those mentioned in the thread. The Kenai Canyon is just WOW! Boat access only. You're spot on about the stillwaters, there's some great fishing there. If you are military or retired, you can access some good lakes on the bases in ANC.

http://www.kiene.com/forums/showthread.php?p=100799#post100799

3. ak_powder_monkey

ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

yeah you've got the lay of the land pretty good, have fun, pinch your barbs

4. Gorgefly

Gorgefly Member

I was wondering about crowds in late August down there, especially if I go to a place where I am walking in. Also, is it only going to be a bead game or will swinging big stuff be productive as well? Anyone know of any other spots to stop and hit on my drive from Fairbanks to Valdez that have bows and dollies? I am planing to fish the Delta Clearwater a bit but this is my first time driving this route.

5. bjkhred

bjkhred no longer new to board

Home Page:
    Call me at the shop if you want and I'd love to go over some of my favorite places to fish (and eat and drink :) from living there.... I'm too lazy to type any of it!

Good Luck!

Brita @avidangler
    206-362-4030

6. ak_powder_monkey

ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

swinging big stuff isn't nearly as productive as egg patterns... in the kenai anyway