Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Alaskan Coastal Brown Bears

5K views 46 replies 28 participants last post by  DeadandBloated 
G
#1 · (Edited)
While I'm a gun and hunting enthusiast, I rarely post here. But, I thought some here might enjoy this thread.

I never guided hunters; only fly fishers. My retirement job is cooking for hunters about 16 weeks a year. This recent hunt was for spring brown bears in SE Alaska.

The hunters fly to the boat on a seaplane, stay, eat, and sleep on the boat. The guides launch skiffs to take them ashore to hunt. Most of the bears are taken just before dark, which is ~ 2130.

A few photos.

Water Sky Boat Vehicle Naval architecture
Water Sky Mountain Vehicle Seaplane
Water Boat Cloud Sky Vehicle
Terrestrial animal Grass Natural material Snout Groundcover
Plant Brown bear Tree Working animal Biome
Head Eyelash Jaw Feather Gesture

See less See more
#40 ·
Here we go again, most non hunters pick and choose which animals are ok to harvest and which ones arent depending on their emotional beliefs. Non hunters or even hunters who disagree with certain animals being legally hunted often forget about management that is a direct result of studies for population stability. I see a picture of an incredible species a person legally harvested, but I can't understand the conclusion some have as to think that individual is a piece of shit just because he shot a bear..it is immature logic and only has emotions attached to it. Bears and animals in general die off and suffer in far more vicious ways that mother nature throws at them. Thanks for the amazing pictures!

#43 ·
Trapper, thanks for the post and the great pictures. Sorry it turned into a pissing contest of sorts. It would be better if some people didn't read this forum. The state of AK manages this resource very well, probably better than any other state. Out of state hunters pay a LOT of money to hunt there: not just the licenses and tags. And as was pointed out, without thinning out the big boys, there could actually be fewer bears surviving. FYI: the size off the bears skull is how they are measured. Bear meat tastes a lot like pork, although I think a black bear sow is the best...same as a deer or elk. I can see how some people have an issue with 'trophy hunts' but that is no excuse to turn this post into your own little soapbox. I certainly am not one of them....my hunting partner and myself both tagged out the first year that the 'Buddy System' for archery mountain goats was implemented in 1980. I was fortunate that my Billy was a Pope and Young goat. We ate all the meat[some was actually pretty good], the rest we made into sausage....but it was definitely a 'Trophy hunt'....and the toughest hunt I have ever been on.

#45 ·
Trapper, Thanks for the original post and your follow up posts. A trip like that is way out of my price range, but I'd love to make it just once. A mess of bear meat in the freezer would be mighty nice to have.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.