Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

All About the Fly - March Tying Contest

4K views 36 replies 12 participants last post by  Old Man 
#1 ·
This months contest is going to be Chironomids.

Flys can be at any life stage. Larva, Pupa, or Adult. Any size.

The winner will recieve a $20 gift certificate to the shop.

You can either drop your fly off at the shop, or mail it in if you are to far away. Our mailing address can be found here http://www.allaboutthefly.com

Contest ends the last day of March.

Good Luck!

#10 ·
Davy Earl said:
I will drop my "winning" chironimidifid off later this week. :thumb:
Don't you mean MY winning fly Davy?? :ray1:
Try not to get upset when you go down in this one. I was in the shop and pulled the switch a roo on your cup faster then a piss test in MLB. :rolleyes:
YOUR fly looked like it was just a hook with some frayed black thread on it! :eek:

Monty

#11 ·
Sinktip said:
Don't you mean MY winning fly Davy?? :ray1:
Try not to get upset when you go down in this one. I was in the shop and pulled the switch a roo on your cup faster then a piss test in MLB. :rolleyes:
YOUR fly looked like it was just a hook with some frayed black thread on it! :eek:

Monty
the frayed fly? yeah, thats what it was. figured nobody would notice and just admire the mindblowing skill with which the frayed thread was mysteriously applied to the shank with saliva. You didn't touch it did you? :eek:

Wash your hands, do it now. :D

Got me on that one. :thumb: dammit :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

The zebra midge is too simple- it won't win, I am sure somebody will enter a chironimid that has more steps and materials than a Jock Scott.

davy

#13 ·
Oh Man... I had better get started on one soon! :beathead: Just keep your eyes open for that last minute entry. I my have to tie a few before I get anything that is close enough to even think about entering. :eek:

Monty

#19 ·
Thanks for the votes guys, I am not sure what will happen here, there are alot of very nice looking flies in this one. Should be a tough one to decide. If it comes down to a coin toss :confused: I will pick heads, only if I can use my 2 headed quarter. ;)

Davy Earl said:
how do you top a JC chironimidifid ?
Well.... I also tied a Floss bodied Queen Jane pattern as a backup, just in case. :D :D

Floss bodies and JC wings on midge patterns,

Fun stuff! :p :p

Monty

#20 ·
Sinktip said:
Thanks for the votes guys, I am not sure what will happen here, there are alot of very nice looking flies in this one. Should be a tough one to decide. If it comes down to a coin toss :confused: I will pick heads, only if I can use my 2 headed quarter. ;)

Well.... I also tied a Floss bodied Queen Jane pattern as a backup, just in case. :D :D

Floss bodies and JC wings on midge patterns,

Fun stuff! :p :p

Monty
To hell with monty :p , I vote for someone else. :D

#21 ·
mike doughty said:
To hell with monty :p :D
After I got off of the floor from laughing so hard I will just say.......

iagree

I just hope I will be taking an extra twenty bucks worth of stuff with me. :p :p :D :D

Monty

Maybe a game of rock, paper, scissors between whoever is first and the runner up? 2 out of 3. :beer2:

#24 ·
Well, I ran the chiro's by a few trusted associates and friends, all of the entries were very good, by far the best fly of the month contest we've had. But all came to the conclusion that Randy Diefert's 'Pass Lake Natural" took this contest.

We based it on each fly's ability to overall represent the natural form, as well as the techniques used.

When you see the flies, I'm sure all (or most) will agree. Cheer's to you Randy!, Expect your $20 gift certificate in the mail soon. :beer2:

I'll be announcing the May All About the Fly Contest in after the Dry Falls trip.

It will probably be a Terrestrial pattern, so get thinking!

Photos of top entries will be posted asap.

#26 ·
mike doughty said:
bawling: bawling: bawling: bawling: bawling: bawling: bawling: bawling: bawling: bawling: bawling: bawling: bawling: bawling: bawling: bawling: bawling: bawling: bawling: bawling: bawling: bawling: bawling: bawling: bawling: bawling: bawling: bawling: bawling: bawling: bawling: bawling: bawling: bawling: bawling: bawling: bawling: bawling: bawling:
Damn Mike make me feel bad! But I gotta say this was out of my hands... I know to many of you to be the "judge".

By the way, your flies are awesome, the bigger green one with the clear bead was running a close second or third with most I talked to.

I will also send you pictures of the browns I'll be catching on those foam midges you sent! ptyd Cause there is no way in hell you're getting'm back! :rofl: :rofl:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.