Allen Alpha II

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Jordan Simpson, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Brian Miller

Brian Miller Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout

Me too. The freespool problems were fixed after a couple of tries. I think the drag problem in mine are if the drag cover screw loosens even a tiny bit the clicker bearing can work it's way out and jam. I tried to get upgrades and offered an upcharge but it didn't work out. Since then I hear that the clicker bearing can be pulled to solve the jamming. Need to try that before a trip in a couple of weeks.

Mine get the leader caught between the frame to spool when I loop around the reel to hook my fly on a guide. Haven't had that happen with a RLS or my Ross reels. Are the tolerances tighter on the next gen and the II?

2. laivindil

laivindil Member

Does anyone have a review/report they could post? I'm considering this reel to replace an out-of-production 8/9 reel for Coho and would love to know how it performs.

3. Kcahill

Kcahill Active Member

I have one, it reels in fish I catch. Not sure what else to say, I have never cleaned it, taken it apart, lubed it, stroked it, or made love to it and it still reels in fish.

Plus I think they are on sale right now for like 150 bucks, thats cheaper than a night out with a fancy hooker depending what state you are in.

KC

wadin' boot likes this.
  4. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

Have they put a quick release spool in yet? or are they still screw on and off - just wondering, I've never had a reel without a quick release button or pin and was looking at one of these Allens for my daughter but want a quick release spool.

5. lenio8403

lenio8403 New Member

Taking down negative review. I do not want anyone to think Tom wrote this. I was more disappointed than him as I already had to replace mine due to issues

6. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    Have you tried contacting myself or Justin on this topic? We're quite willing to do what we can to make situations right. No company can claim to have 100% success rate on product failure or customer satisfaction, but we work very hard at this. If we didn't have a very high customer satisfaction rate, we wouldn't be making a living. Our new lines of reels are doing very, very well for us, and we are extremely proud of them. If you're having issues with previous generation products, however, we will absolutely take care of it.

As for your review, it wasn't approved because it was for a different product (the Alpha III). The Alpha II is a 100% completely different reel than the Alpha III(different drag, different machines, different barstock, everythying). It would not be fair to either our customers or us to have a review for a different product being displayed on the current model.

My email: evan@allenflyfishing.com
    Justin's email: info@allenflyfishing.com