Allen Fly Reels.

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Old Man, Apr 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. weiliwen

weiliwen Active Member

I've made two orders from Allen FF and have been very pleased in both cases by communication, service quality, speed of shipping, and the actual product. I can only speak for myself, but I'll be purchasing from him again for sure!

2. AllenFlyFishing

AllenFlyFishing Allen Fly Fishing

Home Page:
    Well, since the threas Title says Allen Fly Reels. I have a question regarding reels.

Currently all my reels have a silent retrieve. Is there a good amount of you that like to here the clicking sound both ways on your reels? I want to make an option for this if the demand is there.

Thanks again

3. Rob Ast

Rob Ast Active Member

Justin-

I like silent retrieve (or at least quiet).

4. Mark Speer

Mark Speer It's all good.....

SCREAMERS both ways!:cool:

5. Josh Smestad

Josh Smestad aka Mtnwkr

I prefer silent or very quiet. I dont like a loud reel in either direction. I hate when I'm stripping out line and everyone on the lake looks over thinking I have a monster pulling me into my backing!

6. Brian Miller

Brian Miller Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout

Yeah, I probably just can't describe what the reels are doing very well. The freeplay I refer to is rotation of the *spool; freespooling 3/8" of spool circumference before any drag engagement when paying out line. None of my other reels do that, and the repaired Alpha didn't until I removed the spool and put it back on. Once engaged the drag is smoother than my Cimarron and CLA and is capable of extremely fine adjustments. And yes, as I had mentioned in the earlier thread I had ordered a reel and spare spool and bless his heart, Justin sent me two reels because he didn't have any spare spools in stock. I do not and have not meant any of my comments to be interpreted as a recommendation not to purchase from Allen & Co. Justin and I have been in near constant communication for purchases and resolving the issue with the reels. If anything, I illustrated that he's stuck with me on a rather unique problem and I perceive he's done everything he can to get it resolved quickly. Justin is an off-the-chart, kick-ass innovator and his pricing is unbeatable for the quality of his designs. Global logistics can bring a unique set of challenges that he'll find solutions for.

Thanks for allowing me to clarify.

And BTW, I prefer a quiet click retreive, with a slight tactile feedback but I have not had a lot of experience with high quality reels.

7. Brian Miller

Brian Miller Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout

Got the new Alpha replacement reels today. Looks like a new rev with different frame and spool venting. Gosh these are nice reels! I removed and reinstalled the spools and though I haven't had a fish peel off the line and 50 yards of backing, they pass the test. These are really nice reels with drag as smooth as butter with ultra fine adjustment. For the price they're simply unbeatable. I'll get the old reels back to Justin on Monday

8. Nathen Hower

Nathen Hower Member

i have placed an order for 6 dozen fly'es, a 6wt rod and a 6wt alpha reel. i have to say that justin has been very helpful. he has been very quick to answer my many question. he is making sure i get everything by the 23rd so i can take it out on the yakima that weekend.

9. loganmike

loganmike Member

NOthing but a great Experience with Justin. Ordered a reel to go with new 6 wt and it is sharp!

One question, it seems in order to really get the drag to bear down and hold fast, I need to crank the knob so tight, it is hard to get loose again, anyone else with this expereince, or can you comment on this Justin?

me

10. kevinjc

kevinjc New Member

Thought I would add my feedback. After hearing about how great these reels were, I decided to order a trout series, model 5/7. Ordered last wensday, got here yesterday (monday). Pretty fast delivery. The reel is great. Very pleasing to the eye, and the drag is smooth as silk. Head and shoulders above any reel I have previously owned, for a great price as well. Cant wait to get out and have a trout peel some line off this baby. Thanks Allen and co.

11. ak_powder_monkey

ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Hey Justin,

you know what I really need? a 1 weight reel that doesn't cost $300! Seriously its just a line holder!

12. Denny

Denny Active Member

I checked several of my other reel brands and models, and nearly all of the disc drag reels have some takeup (freeplay) before the drag engages. I am quite confident your reel is no different; the drag on your reels is working just fine.

13. AllenFlyFishing

Home Page:
    Hi Guys,

Some of you were asking if I was going to have a reel that can hold a huge huge amount of backing. Well, I listend and came through ha. The first sample will be ready mid next week. Its going to be in a 12/14 wt. The drag is geared towards larger fish.

Also, I am in the mood again to make some reel by hand on an old South Bend Lathe. I'm going to make a few soon and post them when I'm done.

14. wannafish

wannafish In search of Blinky...

I've been looking at your products online and you will most likely get my next reel purchase. I don't know how many others feel the same way, but how about some sping and pawl (no disc drag) reels. Especially in a 3wt (why the hell do you need drag on a 3wt?) and I'd love a nice beefy 5wt too. I love that zing and I think they would be popular in your target price range. I also kind of like the noisy retrieve on my smaller reels for some reason...

15. AllenFlyFishing

Home Page:
    Thanks for the info. You'll see a new drag from me in about 45 days in a 3/4 and 5/6 wt. Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.