Allen Fly Reels.

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Old Man, Apr 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris Scoones

Chris Scoones Administrator Staff Member

But Jesse's underlying point was still spot on, wasn't it, Countryboy.

2. Mike Lee

Mike Lee It's all about the sauce.....

Countryboy, I must apologize if I am reading this incorrectly [ and if so please let me know]. I have put in bold the statements you have posted and I am confused. At first it seemed as if you were pushing US made products to help industries here and purely anti-foreign due to exploitation. You tied Allen&Co to Orvis as both foreign make [ which means you wouldn't buy either right?]. But then you state that you own Orvis products. And towards the end you state that you are a small reel manufacturer in the US. So, in regards to what you suggest we [ general consumers] should buy, are you saying we should buy from Orvis [ that you state is foreign made] instead of Allen&Co due to the success level and the price? Or should we be buying just US made to help our local industry? Or should we be seeking out the small reel maufacturer?

3. jakers

jakers Member

4. Countryboy

Countryboy New Member

I am not accusing anyone of anything. My statements are factual then I gave my opinion on how I felt about the global market competition. Again, I was refuting the comment that anything higher than the price of an Allen Fly Fishing Product is a rip off. That is it. Like any opinion, I gave an explanation why so my point of view can be seen. Period. I didn't slam Allen, Orvis, or anyone else that purchases this product. Word mince me all you want. I think we all agree is hard not to purchase foreign products. I never said not to nor did I say that I don't. I didn't bring this up to increase domestic sales. Domestic sales are what they are because the consumers choose to consume domestically.

Regardless, it appears I was wrong for bringing it up. I apologize for taking away from this thread. Lets move on because this discussion will go no where.

5. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Countryboy, I remain unconvinced that you were not breaking out the mortar and dropping shells downrange toward Allen and Orvis. I also remain confused as to what products you are a part of producing. Here is an idea for you to consider. I have a few of Justin's reels, three as a matter of fact, and I have a very close by friend that has a couple more in models that I don't have. Tell me what reels you produce, tell me where to get them, heck, even send me one for me to test out (I'll return it afterward if you wish or give it to Chris for the gear review program) and then I'll post back what I think about the reel. In the meantime you have to provide us more than cloaked information on your reels, company, price point, production location, materials supplier, how many employees you have, how many families you support through your business...you know, the type of things that Justin did after you started pig piling on his company and products. What do you think about that? Will you be back to lurking after firing off your shots, or are you prepared to stand up and put yourself out there for some outside review? The floor is all yours.

6. Countryboy

Countryboy New Member

My name is Adam DeMarco owner of Paine Falls located in Ohio. I currently only make Centerpin reels if and when I can fit it in my schedule. Paine Falls reels sell from $475 USD and top out north of $1,000. Over the next year or two, I hope to release fly reels in the same price point just like most other North American reel manufacturers. So far, my one man operation employs myself and I have at least 10 suppliers within the United States that I have contributed to. I am a small volume manufacturer not a high volume manufacturer. My customers pick me, not the other way around. It works out pretty well.

Now that everyone is aware of who I am and the motives that do not exist, I will say again, I am not bashing anyone. I clarified my comments and to what regard, yet we keep coming back to something that does not exist. If it was poor clarification on my behalf, I am sorry. I have no animosity towards Allen's or Orvis, they happened to be examples that related to the point I was trying to make. Like I said, how you spend your money is your decision. How a company executes thier business plan is their decision. Because you do not want to pay the cost for a reel produced in North America does not constitute it being a rip off.

I am certain I will go back to lurking if I am not free to express my opinion or if I am not granted the decency to clarify a point I was trying to make. 1 post or 7,000 it shouldn't matter.

7. Ed Call

I'll look forward to a notice that Chris has received one of your first fly reels for interested members to demo in his gear program. Did you say north of a thousand bucks for a high end reel? I wish you the best in your transition from centerpin to fly reels but unless the gear program has one of those north of a thousand reels I'm afraid this customer won't be able to find his way to you with a GPS unit, map and compass. I do wish you and your US Based company the best though.

8. Countryboy

Countryboy New Member

Thanks. If my gear is welcome in the gear review, I will submit a fly reel or two with a one way ticket when I have them ready for public. The only thing I need back is an honest review. Without it, I cannot improve.

9. Ed Call

Adam, I'm pretty sure that if you send one in for the gear program it will get used (check out the gear program calendar to see how much stuff gets used) and most folks here are fast to share a review or opinion. As you see from this entire thread, great reviews for the Allen reels have been submitted. These reviews were focused on the functionality, astetics and price point of the reels. There have been a lot of similar threads here with folks putting in their two cents on how they think things worked out for them. Ed

10. AllenFlyFishing

AllenFlyFishing Allen Fly Fishing

Home Page:
    Hi Everyone,

Lets get this thread back to the meaning of why it started. However, I think if someone has an issue with products. They need to be professional about it and start another thread stating that issue so they can rant about it that way. Most people that have posted on this thread have used or have been interested in using my products. This is a good way to contact me.

Back to the thread....

Everyone ... Thanks! for all the positive feedback on my products. Theres going to be some new products in the next 30-40 days that I hope everyone will enjoy.

Thanks everyone,

Justin "Allen"

11. you didnt get over causing problems on salmoncrazy???? dude tone it down. lurk away. allen and co takes good care of wff members

12. Im besides myself.... all this coming from someone who allegedly had his first run of "custom handmade reels" machined by a CNC company and then fraudulently sold as HAND MADE reels so he could buy his equipment to start the company..... tisk tisk....

13. Ed Call

Amen to that Justin, I'm happy with my Allen reels and fly boxes and will return for more items over the course of time. Great point on keeping this thread on your products and those other companies can have their own threads.

14. looks like i need to start a thread

15. Mike Lee

Mike Lee It's all about the sauce.....

Justin,

Is the website up to date with all of your products? My apologies if this is a redundant question.

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.