Allen fly reel's

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by rainbow, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Mike T

Mike T Active Member

Justin,

I strongly suggest you buy this book for yourself and staff. "The Nordstrom Way to Customer Service Excellence: A Handbook For Implementing Great Service in Your Organization". http://www.amazon.com/Nordstrom-Way-Customer-Service-Excellence/dp/0471702862/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1329543775&sr=8-2

In your reply you call the customer's right to have an opinion into question by saying he's biased. Then you essentially admit to putting out a poor quality product. (After this I can imagine why Jesse has some heartburn.) Then you further admit your staff dropped the ball on sending the replacement reel.

Smart businessmen don't blame the customer for their failings.

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  2. Brian Miller

Brian Miller Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout

I bought two 1st generation Allen Alpha reels in February 2010. Both had identical freespool problems, and after two tries over 5 weeks to repair, I got two warranty replacements that each locked up. Though not earnestly pursuing it because my fishing trips didn't call for the use of those reels lets just say that after 6 months of asking for and being promised advance cross-ship replacements (common after a heavy history of failures in the computer industry to maintain Customer satisfaction) but never sent then no response to repeated PMs and emails (I have the PM and email threads) I gave up. After ~20 months I recently saw Justin's offer to remedy Jesse's problem and took one last shot by contacting Justin. Though not quite as originally promised Justin and Evan provided an acceptable replacement/upgrade solution for me in two weeks with what at a glance is obviously a better design. Justin and Evan say their new designs are virtually trouble free and though I haven't had mine out yet (Sunday! :)) I have no reason to say otherwise. Allen reels have an exquisite feel when functioning properly and the machine tolerances on these replacement reels are noticably better.

All that said, I cannot honestly compare a Ross Evolution to Allen reels. Any Ross USA reel even though priced 150% to 300% higher is an investment in quality and support that will last throughout your lifetime and is a tremendous value. Ross USA reels will maintain good resale value if you are into that. My personal experience is Ross warranty service is exceptionally good, fast, and free. I agree with Steve and unequivocally recommend Ross.

3. bhudda

bhudda heffe'

Daaaaaamn!!! Droppin sum kanawledge MikeT on the microphone:)

4. LyNcH

LyNcH Steelhead Junkie

Wow, I'm not reading it that way at all, I think he is being rather diplomatic. If you bought a tire and it went flat 2 times in 5 days and then have to wait a month for a third one, would it not be unreasonable to comment on the quality and customer service of the tire/retailer? I think it's an interesting way to start a thread to a customer and to future/current customers. Early on in you did something similar to me, we worked it out, and I have since bought products from you because I like to support small business companies.

5. Jordan Simpson

Jordan Simpson Active Member

Do you hear that? *pop*popitty pop*ttsssss*popopopopop*

Mumbles, bring the beer over...!

6. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    Our comments were not at all trying to call out anyone. We are currently travelling and responding from our phones, so I apologize for the less ideal responses. We were admitting to the past issues that were brought up, because we believe in having some transparency in our business. But the quality and supply issues that were brought up have been completely resolved. Every company experiences growing pains, and we experienced them in a big way last year. It's why Justin brought me on and hired a warehouse staff.

In short, Jesse and everyone else are 100% correct in their claims, we are just trying to reach out and make these past issues right with our customers.

7. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Jordan the beer is here. My two cents on Allen is all good in my neighborhood. That was decided when Justin kicked things off. Even better now that Evan has gotten involved. Take my two cents or not. I'm a gear whore and could easily see me fishing Allen reels for all my needs.

8. rainbow

rainbow My name is Mark Oberg

Home Page:
    Ok, here's what I'm going to do. I am going to get a couple of reels to look at and I will put them through my own test and write what I find. I personally think that as any company there is trial and error and things are bound to improve. Allen reels has generously offered me to try some. I think its the admirable thing to do, so let's just see what happens with this. I am a firm beleaver in the little guy and will stand behind my result's. Maybe make a video of a 5 pound trout at my favorite trout farm (rf) Ha Ha.

9. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Most people will try things out. I got a reel from Allen once and I decided at the time I wasn't ready to buy. Then about a year later I was ready and asked if I could see a reel. Well I bought it and have been happy with the one I bought.

Somethings will work for everyone and some things won't, no matter how hard you try you can't please everyone.

10. PT

PT Physhicist

I'd be more than happy to test a reel in the 8 wt range and give my feedback. It will see plenty of local anadromous in the next couple months, and enough bones in late April to see how they really hold up. No, not talking about 2# Belizean fish either. My 5 wt. and LP 2 gets used for those.

11. Jordan Simpson

Jordan Simpson Active Member

My 7/8wt Alpha II handled the one good sized bone I hooked into at Hi-Kai and lost. It made three good runs (lost it midway on the third run) and each time the reel was more than smooth. I don't have any personal experience with the first generation products, but I feel more than confident with their current product.
    As for their customer service, like I stated in a previous thread, was nothing but top notch and awesome: I had originally ordered a specific product that I needed for a trip and the package recieved contained different. A few emails later between Justin and Evan and I had the correct product in time for my trip.
    Like I said earlier, I don't have any experience with the company or it's products from it's original start up phase, but I wouldn't ever hesitate to order from them again and feel very confident in their current products- and hopefully future.

12. Sean Beauchamp

Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

Evan works his ass off knocking the kinks outta the system and despite a rocky start with some product issues I think you're gonna see nothin but a continuing improvement in quality product and timely service. It wasn't long ago when Evans apartment was the warehouse and 2 guys where product development, QA, sales, shipping, customer service, etc etc etc.

Evan hooked up an alpha 1 (apparently the bad model?) 9/10 for me to abuse this last spring and summer on my spey rod and after half a dozen chromers, couple chinook to 20#s and a couple tail hooked chums it never skipped a beat. I passed it along to a buddy who just bought his first spey and if the drag ever fails I hear Evan will take care of it.

Lookin forward to what the future holds they have some great values and a good following.

13. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

I've had issues with a lot of purchases in my life . . . vehicles, guns, fishing stuff, personal apparel, appliances, etc. It happens. As long as the vender/manufacturer stood behind their product & made things right in a reasonable manner, I was happy. That being said, I had the opportunity to demo an Allen rod & have several reels & fly lines; while I have experienced NO malfunctions, I am pleased with the products & the service . . . I also have no doubt they will "right any wrongs" in a reputable manner.

14. nwtroutguy

nwtroutguy The Tug Is The Drug

I have 2 Alpha 9/10 reels that withstood some brutal runs from trophy Northern Pike in Sasskatchewan last June. One fish was 43" and 22bls. No issues whatsoever. I am getting ready to buy a alpha trout series for this year. The reels are only $ 115.00 for gosh sakes and my personal dealings with Jason ( i think that is right) have been very positive. He will make it right or I am sure he will refund your money back.

If anyone is short on a 9/10 reel, let me know and you can use one......good Karma!!

15. Fly Away

Fly Away New Member

Home Page: