Allen fly reel's

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by rainbow, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Fly Away

Fly Away New Member

Home Page:
    I have two Allen reels, and neither has caused me any trouble. On my first trip out with a brand-new Kraken 3 on my switch rod I hooked a chrome-bright 14 lb. steelhead buck, an exceptionally strong fish that would have put any reel to the test. The Kraken handled it easily. Through several blistering runs the drag remained smooth. It remains to be seen how well the reel will last, but I've seen much more expensive reels fail. My partner's Lamson literally fell apart while he was fighting a fish, and the drag on my Nautilus failed to the point where the spool was wobbling all over the place. The repairman who fixed it told me that drag failures on Nautilus's are not uncommon. So maybe we ought to be a bit more understanding of a newer company and their efforts to perfect their products?

2. Nathan B

Nathan B Love em and Leave em

Hey Jordan,

Has that Allen reel held up pretty good since your last post about it?

Thanks

3. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

I have three of his reels, one 4wt fly line and four fly boxes. I have yet to have anything go wrong with any of it. The fly line is over two years old and it sits on a reel all winter long. When I get ready to use it I pull some off to cast and it's just as limp as the day I received it.

I would recommend these products to anybody.

4. Nathan B

Thanks Jim! I'm going to order one for my upcoming trip. I appreciate your contributions to this board!

5. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    Since this thread got dug back up, I figured I'd jump in since it's been a whole year.

We have replaced the entire line up of reels and rods for 2013. Any questions, feel free to ask:

http://www.allenflyfishing.com/new-products/

6. Nathan B

Hey Evan,

Can you tell me what the warranty is on your reels, specifically the Kraken model 3. Where do they ship from, and do they produce the "click" sound on both line retrieval and drag out?

Thanks!

7. Mingo

Mingo the Menehune stole my beer

I own several Allen reels. Good stuff. Tough, can take a beatin'. Mingo "likes" Allen products.

constructeur and Ian Broadie like this.
  8. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    we guarantee workmanship on any product. If it ever fails at our fault, we take care of it at no cost to you. If you bang it up to a point of it having issues, we can do repair for a small fee depending on the issue.

The Kraken has a very smooth, quiet click on both drag and retrieve. Alpha and trout reels are silent on the retrieve.

9. Ian Broadie

Ian Broadie Flyfishing is so "Metal"

Home Page:
    I have a Krakken, Several Alpha II's and an original trout reel. They are all good quality for the price and get used pretty darned heavily with very few issues and when there have been issues Evan's got them taken care of.

10. nwtroutguy

nwtroutguy The Tug Is The Drug

I have nothing but good things to say about Allen customer service. I have had no issues with the three reels I have now, and even if I did, I know that Justin and Evan will make it right. Remember, it is mechanical and anything mechanical can break at anytime. For the money, it is a good product and supports the local guys.

11. Jordan Simpson

Jordan Simpson Active Member

I've never had any issues with their reels. I've got one of the new Alpha III's that I played around with in Hawai'i- didn't get any fish action on it to test it out, but it is solid and smooth and I like the new deign.
    For their price- being fully machined- you can't beat them.

12. Fly Away

Fly Away New Member

Home Page:
    Last year I had the drag go south on my Nautilus reel, and my fishing partner's Lamson fell apart while he was fighting a steelhead (he lost the fish). These are both good reels, and they cost a lot more than an Allen. I have three Allens, including a Kraken, and none has failed yet. The first time I used it my Kraken easily handled a very rambunctious cromer 14 lb. steelhead that made several long runs. The drag was smooth and did what it's supposed to. My point: there probably isn't a reel out there that's bulletproof. Allens are very good reels for the money, and I have no complaints about the service I've received from the Allen Reel Co. They're good people, working hard to correct any problems that come up. Consider the Lockheed Martin F-35, guys, and count your blessings!