Trip Report Alpine Coastal Cutts

Discussion in 'Trip Reports with Pics' started by Bruce Baker, Sep 23, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Bruce Baker

Bruce Baker Active Member

Yesterday I decided to hit an alpine lake that a friend of mine suggested. The lake is between 3500 and 4000 feet in elevation and it is about a mile hike from the trailhead to the lake. The lake wasn't very large. I'll say about 6 surface acres, maybe less.

My recent go-to pattern has been a white bead-headed black bugger. Most times fish are very receptive to it. I started trolling and after about 10 minutes, I got my first hit. Unfortunately the fish came off fairly quick. I then got several soft taps. I was trolling in a horseshoe pattern and when I got to the other side, managed to stick one.

This lake was a beautiful emerald green color and my photo does not do it justice. The lake was also very clear, like looking into an aquarium. I saw several fish in a shallow area of the lake and proceeded to cast and retrieve. Lots of willing fish. I needed to take a break and when I got back on the water, decided to change things up a bit by putting on a Carey Special with a peacock body. This fly elicited a lot more strikes than the bugger. It was almost non-stop action.

The fish averaged 6 to 12 inches, with the majority in the 6-10 inch range. All fish looked super healthy and the spotting was spectacular. I don't know what other word to use, but I had never seen a cutthroat in person with spots as big as these.

The hike into the lake was pretty effortless. There is a spot where the trail got washed out and you need to cross a very small creek. It took a while to see where the trail continued on the other side. The way back was a little more exciting as when I got to the washout, I could not readily pick up the trail. I was crossed the creek and was getting nervous because I was not seeing the trail. Fortunately I saw three hikers making their way towards me and I immediately felt some relief. They said the trailhead was about 5 minutes away. It turned out that I was about 50 feet off of the trail.

Today, I'm a little sore. I carried in an Outcast Fish Cat. It was fairly heavy and little unbalanced with the gear that I had lashed to it. It was also difficult to get the backpack straps on. On the trek out, I didn't have the straps properly cinched and it just added to my discomfort. Next time, maybe I'll carry it in deflated or somewhat deflated. 20170922_095220.jpg 20170922_115337.jpg 20170922_120431 - Copy.jpg 20170922_120449 - Copy.jpg

2. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

Wow!!! Those are gorgeous!

3. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Well-Known Member

Huh, I've never caught coastal cutthroat in an alpine lake setting, only the Westslope/Montana black spot variety. Those fish almost look like a different sub-species!

4. Adam Saarinen

Adam Saarinen Active Member

Love the look of the fish in the first picture! Truly something i`ve never seen before! Beautiful! Thanks for sharing!

Bruce Baker likes this.
  5. Greg Armstrong

Greg Armstrong OldRodsHaveMoreFun

Wow, those are beautiful - and really different looking fish!

6. Matt B

Matt B ...

IMG_0647.JPG Very cool looking fish! I've seen some CCT with large spots but those are something else altogether. Thanks for sharing.

Bruce Baker likes this.
  7. Freestone

Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Gorgeous cutthroat, Bruce, and great report! Thank you for sharing!

Bruce Baker likes this.
  8. Buzzy

Buzzy Active Member

Thanks for sharing your report! Been several years since I climbed and fished an alpine lake, need to get back at it! As a side note, I looked at the pictures before reading your report and thought "cute tiger trout"! Beautiful fish!

9. Freestone

Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

At first glance, I thought that too! But then I noticed that there was no vermiculation. Cool spotting for sure though.

Buzzy likes this.
  10. Rodney Wayne Bohannon

Rodney Wayne Bohannon Active Member

Incredibly beautiful fish

11. tkww

tkww Member

Your pics looks an awful lot like a hybrid.

Gyrfalcon2015 likes this.
  12. Matt B

Matt B ...

Very well could be!

13. dflett68

dflett68 Active Member

i caught 3 such fish in succession from a little drainage near gold creek (snoqualmie summit) about 25 years ago, and couldn't id them at the time. literally at the side of the road at a culvert from the same tiny pool. at the time i had never caught a westslope and later figured that's what they were. but seeing these pics i think they were more like what you caught. i don't see how they could be straight up coastal cutts. i hope we get some input from the real taxonomy geeks.

14. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide.

Cranberry Country...a glorified coastal swamp!
    IMGP1552.jpg Wow, Bruce! I have never seen such heavily spotted Coastal Cutts as these ones in your pics. Thanks for sharing.

I think this is perhaps the most heavily spotted individual that I have caught, from one of the lakes I occasionally fish. Only 500' elev.

Adam Saarinen and Bruce Baker like this.
  15. Bruce Baker

Bruce Baker Active Member

The only definitive answer would be to get some fin clips and run a genetic analysis.