Alright you spey bums...fill me in here???

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by pwoens, Aug 8, 2003.

1. pwoens

pwoens Active Member

Home Page:
    So im kicking back lastnight and contemplating which 8wt rod to go with and it hits me....why dont I try a spey rod. I mean, you can cast way farther, im getting older(just kiddin fellas), and mostly you can cover a ton more water than a normal fly rod. Am I correct in these assumptions?

How do all you spey nazis like the spey rods versus normal rods?? Is casting really easier like they say it is. How does wind affect a spey...the same as a normal rod??

I know I will have a few more questions but it was just an idea that popped in my head and I figured I would ask the experts.

Thanks,

~Patrick ><>

2. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

I'm suprised that you haven't had any answers to your questions yet. But being that I'm an old man,just where are you going to use this expensive rod at. Most of the rivers on the dry side are small and you can reach all areas with a single hander. Except maybe the Grande Ronde. But how often do you go there.

I think that I'm beginning to see that you are rod whore and want to get as many as you can before your wife shuts you down.

Have you used that 4wt yet,and how's the float tube working out. Questions,questions,questions.

Jim: The time worn out old man:beer1 ;)

3. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Spey is a religion.

I like my spey rods just fine versus single hand rods.

Casting is different with a spey maybe not easier. There are certain aspects of spey that might be considered easier. You might be able to mend and such a tad easier because of the longer rod. The longer rod and the Skagit style spey cast make throwing sink tips easier. Less casting motion allows you to keep your fly in the water more of the time. Less area needed behind to cast allows you to fish more water. You can generate some serious line speed with a 2 hander which should translate to longer casts. Spey casting is more fun.

4. Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice Senior Member

Wish I was a rod whore ! :p I bet the Yak would be good spey casting or the Cispus. I was going to ask that question what are Good rivers that a spey rod calls for most of the rivers I know of aren't really wide enough for a spey. any suggestions?:7
    Steve

5. circlespey

circlespey Member

Once you learn it, there is no doubt that the effort required to cast good distances repeatedly is far less with a spey rod. And, the wind actually helps with several types of casts, as long as you match the wind direction to the cast.

There are enough questions like this on this forum that, given the slow fishing, perhaps we should do another informal spey gathering for interested parties somewhere.

Circlespey

6. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

I want to say something about that statement about that you said about keeping you fly in the water longer and covering more fish. But I don't want to start a arguement. I fish with a gent that uses Spey rods all the time,no matter what the water size. And me with my single hander I seem to have my fly in the water longer than he does. I think that it is how you approach the water is how you fish your flies. His approach is down and across and mine is across and down. I hope this makes some sense because as I'm typing this I'm thinking about other things.

Jim

7. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

I'm sure we could break this down even further then simply single hander vs. 2 hander. Individual styles and different techniques will definitely contribute to any final analysis.

8. bhudda

bhudda heffe'

spey clave

schmokin'reel!!!!

Circlespey, that sounds like a great thing to pull off, i for one would be very interested, Pat , that means a trip too the west side eh buddy! wanna catch some sea-run shoes:+ hey were you thinking the 5wt or 8wt spey? i think im interested in the 5wt sage:dunno any input on the 5wt sage fellas would be swell:smokin bhudda

9. pwoens

pwoens Active Member

Home Page:
    spey clave

For myself the only time I think I would use a Spey would be for the winter steelies....so probably a 7 or 8wt would be my guess. Just to cover more water on the bigger rivers like the Ronde or the Clearwater mainly.

EDIT: but yes I would make the drive to participate in a clave...and get some fishing in with some of you wacked out west siders :p
    ~Patrick ><>

10. Rxfisher

Rxfisher New Member

I won't get into the spey vs single hand debate it's an individual preference. I have several of both and prefer to fish a spey almost exclusively for steelhead, for trout I fish a single handed rod. As for waters in Eastern Wash / N Idaho that would fish well with a spey rod, the Snake and Clearwater are some big rivers that would be prime for swinging flies with the big stick. The Ronde fishes beautifully with a spey rod and floating line, I'll be there in Oct. nuf said, Steve

11. Bart

Bart New Member

Patrick,

Good topic. Hmmm, Spey, beach....Cool

Bart

12. pwoens

pwoens Active Member

Home Page:
    No debates hopefully....Im just looking for the axact use described.....I will never give up my single handed rods cause im a rod whore by nature. ;)

See ya on the Ronde!!

~Patrick ><>

13. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Hey Rx,

When in Oct. are you going to be on the Ronde?

Email me. You owe me one anyway.

KLS

14. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

spey clave

Mattzoid has the 5wt Sage and he seems to like it. But I can't seem to wake him up to this web site or any other since he started his divorce thing. "Hey Matt you out there".

I think that the last Spey Clinic that was held over on the wet side was in March up at Big Eddy on the Skykomish. Which I didn't attend.

Jim

15. Rxfisher

Rxfisher New Member

Kerry;
    I owe you more than one... You showed me some fine Skagit river SRC fishing, and prime steelhead water on the Sauk, etc etc. How can I repay??? See Ya, sent you an e-mail.