Amber lake report

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by dbk, Nov 13, 2009.

1. dbk

dbk Active Member

For any of you in the Spokane/Cheney area, here is a quick report from Amber lake. Have only fished it one other time all year, so take this report with a grain of salt seeing that I am far from knowing the "pulse" of this fishery, especially during this time of year. I left my sinking lines at home, which likely could have cost me some fish seeing that I was limited to presentations suited for floating lines (i.e. "bobber fishing"). I never attempted to fish the areas of the lake with 20+ ft depths, but concentrated on water depths between 5-18 ft, focusing on presenting my flies near structure, drop offs, ledges, etc. in those areas in the hopes of finding the most aggressive fish. There was some visible "surface" activity when I first got on the water at 8am- the rises indicated that they were fish spread out all over the lake at various depths with trout rising in the shallows along the shorelines as well as in water that was 20+ ft deep. There was not a strong hatch- some very tiny cream colored bugs that were difficult to identify that looked like white specks on the water were present, though not enough to provoke any consistent feeding activity near the surface. Some some backs "porpoising" in the surface film at times, but the feeding at that level was both sporadic and inconsistent at best, so I concentrated on fishing the bottom two feet of the water column regardless of the depth of water I was anchored in. In hindsight, it might of been a good day to fish chironomids in the deeper water vertically using a full sink line to cover the entire water column, as my success was limited using standard indicator tactics. At the end of the day, I landed about two trout per hour on average, most of which were in the 15-17 inch range. I had to work pretty hard to find active fish (at least fish willing to take the flies/presentation I was offering them). Standard chiros were unsuccessful, as were nymphs fished both static and aggressively under an indicator. The only "consistent" patterns in terms of taking fish were orange beadhead bionic worms (size 10-12) and olive leeches (size 10-12). The fish all took about 14-15 ft down in 16-18 ft of water. I think there are times to be more precise about your depth (both the depth of the flies and the depth of the water you are fishing in), and I think I could have done a better job at adjusting and evaluating this during the day, but I sometimes do not want to have to "work too hard" so to speak. There was little wind, and the fish seemed to prefer a still or "motionless" presentation (presentations with movement, even subtle and slow produced only a couple of fish). Take were very subtle at times, with the exception being one trout that slammed the leech pattern "on the run" even though I was not moving the fly at all. Covering water was key for me- fished an area for 10-15 minutes then moved on if it failed to produce. It was a beautiful day on the water, but the catching was sporadic (at least for me). Nevertheless, for a November day, I cannot complain. Tight lines.

2. Dehlan G

Dehlan G Member

Sounds like a good day

3. troutpocket

troutpocket Active Member

Good report.

I fished Amber a bit during the two years I spent in Spokane. Beautiful spot and a challenging fishery. I had a few "great" days (spring time only) but mostly I caught about 1-2 fish/hr.