Amber Update?

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by A Pedersen, Mar 6, 2014.

1. A Pedersen

A Pedersen New Member

Can any of you Spokane/Cheney bug chucker's provide an Amber update? Here in the Tri-Cities the weather has warmed a bit, it almost feels like spring. Time to knock the dust off the 99 and do a bit of indicator fish'n...
    Any input would be appreciated!

Thanks,

AP

2. obiwankanobi

obiwankanobi Active Member

While I don't have lakeside intel, many of the nearby lakes still remain mainly iced over. Given that last week the temps were in the teens, I would say that things should be shaping up in about two weeks. Just a hunch.

3. generic

generic Active Member

Call Sean at the Silver Bow Fly Shop in Spokane Valley. They usually have the best updated info - but obiwan is probably right.

4. Guy Gregory

Guy Gregory Active Member

Still icy Mar 5

5. A Pedersen

A Pedersen New Member

Thanks for the info fellas!

AP

6. John Read

John Read Member

Any updates over the weekend? Thinking about Tuesday or Wednesday. Weather in Moscow has been warm rain, wind and some sun since last week. Wednesdays forecast is for sunny and high 50's. Tuesday is high 40's with mostly sunny.
    If I go, I'll make a report.

7. Don Perry

Don Perry Member

Fished Amber Saturday. Ice was a long cast out from the launch and several guys were fishing from the bank and floating with some success in that area. Used a narrow channel next to the bank and worked my way to some open water in the south end. The fish were cooperative and good sized (16-18"). The middle and north end were still frozen but I'm guessing will be clear in a day or two if not already.

8. John Read

John Read Member

Going tomorrow. What were you using?

9. FoulHooked

FoulHooked New Member

Spent a couple hours on Amber today. Ice free and decent chironomid fishing while I was there, from 2:30pm to approx. 4:30pm

Rich

10. John Read

John Read Member

Fished Amber Wednesday.
    Beautiful day. Slow for me. Caught two right off the bat, then nothing for a couple of hours, then two more.
    Smallest 13 largest 20. All on dragon fly nymphs. Saw some guys catching quite a few on Chironomids.
    Not my best day, but by far the best day of the year.(first time I've been out.

11. dbk

dbk Active Member

Fished Amber Tuesday from 2-7pm.... lots of guys on the water with the majority fishing out from the launch down to the south end... wanted to venture down to the far north end but its was a bit windy and not wanting to fight that battle, I started out in the deep water in the cove across from the launch that offers a bit of protection from the wind. Anchoring up in 22-24ft of water, I had a consistent steady bite from 2-4 on black micro leeches and bloodworms under an indicator 1-2ft off the bottom.. took a few throat samples and the largest fish hooked and landed (about 16") was filled with bright red bloodworms (about size 12).. other samples revealed mostly daphnia. Landed a few carryovers to 16" here with most of the fish being 8-14". At 4pm or so the bite for me stopped, so I moved to the far south end shallows and started fishing there in 3-4ft of water... saw nothing moving and struggled to pick up a bite fishing bloodworms and balance leeches... Did manage to hook two fish, and land one (17") and the one I failed to land broke me off and was the heaviest fish of the day. Made my way back to the launch and finished up there... right out in front of the launch the fish were very active and there was a hot bite from 6-7pm which made for a nice close to the day. Fish were starting to get very aggressive at the surface at dusk....

Mike Ediger, tippet and Irafly like this.