American & Bumping Rivers

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by tweston, Jun 12, 2002.

1. tweston

tweston Windknot

I will be heading to these areas in late July and haven't done any flyfishing there. Does anyone have info on these rivers that may help me out?

Thanks!

2. chironocast

chironocast New Member

American is a gorgeous little stream in which I believe
    yhere are no fish. My wife and I fished it for miles the summer
    before last and didnt get so much as a bump. Not only that we didnt see anyone else or talk with anyone who caught.
    Too bad, it looks so perfect. Didnt try the bumping but probably sucks too. We fished the upper Naches on the way to the american
    and it also sucked....also a beautiful stream. Someone aint doin their job!!!!!! Any other State and those streams would be killer!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Calvin1

Calvin1 Member

Tweston,

My buddies and I fished the American River a couple of years back and had a similar experience to the other poster, e.g. no fish. We did see at least one fish which appeared to be a nice looking rainbow, go scooting by as we spooked a hole. It glacial fed right off Mt. Ranier, and it might fish better later in the season.

The same trip we fished the Bumping River as well. There seemed to be no shortage of small rainbows. These were 5 to 6 inch fish, but they weren't parr marked, I think they just don't have a lot of opportunity to get large there. Could be fun with a two weight rod. Lot's of crags and fallen trees, and everywhere there was structure of this kind, there were fish.

Have a great time.

Calvin

4. Scott Salzer

Scott Salzer previously micro brew

I like to hit this area around Seafair weekend. I have done very well on the Naches, dries, okay on the Little Naches for little ones, picked up one 18 CT on the Bumping - right in a road side hole that everyone fishes. On the American, I only hit small brookies. If you decide to camp, you can stop just about anywhere up the Little Naches BUT be advised that there is a lot of dirt bike activity in the area, so if you're lookingor piece & quiet, go somewhere else. From the Naches area, you can also head down to the Tieton and over Hgy. 12.

It's a nice area, worth exploring.

5. crockett

crockett New Member

My experience has not been as fruitful as Micro's in that area but there are fish in these waters. Bait and spin fishers that I've talked to have caught large Bull Trout in the American and Little Naches. As Calvin said, the Lil Naches and American Rivers are glacial in origin and are very cold. I have only fished them in July and the water was indeed very cold and clear. I think you are hard-pressed to get a fish to move to a dry fly in water that cold. If I were to go back, I would try in August with nymphs and streamers. The Bumping was good for little bows in a side channel but I imagine there are larger fish to be had in the main stem. Good luck.
    Crock

6. Scott Salzer

Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Crock - Not every trip has been great, some just okay. Didn't mean to mislead that there are tons of fish to be caught. I had one day on the Naches that I hit 15 fish in one long riffle area, doesn't happen often enough! They aren't big, biggest I hit was about 16 - nice fish. The rivers do get hammered, but a little work can get you to some lesser fished spots. The Bumping has some nice fish, but it too gets a lot of pressure. I just like the area since you have so many spots in one tight area. (Besides, the drive is great.) As for the flies, the nymphs / streamers would likely be the most consistent.

7. Paul Huffman

Paul Huffman Lagging economic indicator

Home Page:
    Yep, ain't no fish in the whole Naches system, nope, nope. :WINK And the Yakima is so much closer to Seattle for all you westsiders. :AA

8. M00se456

M00se456 New Member

I remember fishing the american a while back, and not catching anything. I did fish the bumping a year ago while camping at rainer. It fished pretty well with basic drys and nymphs. Nothing huge but some nice fish in the 8 - 14 range. it a nice area, so it is always worth a try. I have also heard bumping lake is ok, if you want to hit a lake in the area.