American Dipper and cased caddis

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by riseform, Mar 28, 2014.

1. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

another thing that make a slow day on the river interesting, Sometimes I just stop fishing and watch mother natures creatures in action to my great amusement. This's also includes other fishermen,I'm sure I have entertained people over the years with my antics.

constructeur and Skysoldier like this.
  2. FinLuver

FinLuver Active Member

Watched a raven and hawk ride the thermals and play aerial combat for half an hour during one such break in the fishing action.

Skysoldier likes this.
  3. Preston

Preston Active Member

I once watched an ouzel who had captured a small fish (probably no more than 1 1/2 inches in length). The bird popped out of the water and hopped up onto a rock, gripping the fish by its tail, and proceeded to whack its (the fish's) head repeatedly on the rock until it stopped struggling before gulping it down.

The first steelhead I ever caught had what appeared to be a partially-digested bird's wing in its stomach. I always assumed it was an ouzel's wing. Ouzels walk on the stream bottom by spreading their wings and using them as a sort of hydrofoil to hold themseves down against the substrate. I can easily imagine a buck steelhead sidling up alongside such an intruder and making a sudden snap.

constructeur, FinLuver and Taxon like this.
  4. Skysoldier

Skysoldier Trout Hunter

Never seen one myself but this post made me look them up..........very cool little bird! Thanks for sharing.
    One of the things I like most about being out on the water is the chance to watch nature at work.

FinLuver likes this.
  5. jessejames

jessejames Flyslinger

There are a lot of these dippers on the Clearwater/Kelly creek system I love watching them. They make me laugh when they get out of the water and do there little dipping dance.
    jesse

constructeur likes this.
  6. Richard Olmstead

Richard Olmstead BigDog

John Muir's favorite animal.

It is astonishing some of the places where I've seen them in winter. They don't migrate, but stay on their home streams. I've seen them in streams in the winter in the Tetons where the banks of little mountain brooks will be 8 feet high with snow and there they are dippin' and divin' in water that would probably be ice, if it weren't moving.

D

7. constructeur

constructeur Active Member

Great photos, and I can relate to quite a few comments; the dipper is a wonderful critter to watch whilst I'm cold, dazing, and not hooked up to my intended species...