America's Wacky Winter Weather

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Trapper Badovinac, Feb 3, 2014.

1. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Well sure it is. Now lets get into a good argument over what is causing it. Us or them?

Kyle Smith, Freestone and Kent Lufkin like this.
  2. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

Well... all the transplants in The Valley are freaking out over our second snow storm of the winter. This one is dumping more snow than the last one and it is supposed to keep snowing for two more days.

Growing up in NE Oregon, I'm accustomed to snow and know how to drive in the stuff but the majority who live in this part of Oregon don't have a clue.

They'd better learn. For all we know, snow during the winter is going to become the norm and shutting down the schools every time a snowflake falls from the sky ain't going to fly.

When I was going to school, the only time they'd close it down during the winter wasn't because of snow but because the heater stopped working.

On the other hand... the appeal of moving to this side of the state was for the mild weather and year around fishing... if this becomes the norm ... so much for the appeal.

3. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

It is my belief and the basis for my thesis on climate change, that the hot air coming out of Washington DC is the root cause. It is also affecting the fishing!

KerryS likes this.
  4. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

I won't profess to know what is happening to our climate right now but it's pretty clearly being affected by GW to some degree. However, growing up in Kitsap County, I remember skating on ponds that froze up almost every year in the 60s and before. AFAIK they stopped freezing in the late 60s and haven't been frozen in the decades since, but might be freezing yet again now. I've seen pictures of Model T cars parked on Green Lake, and pictures of Liberty Bay (salt water) in the 30s/40s with the surface frozen and covered in snow. My point is only that it's not really like climate change is something
    new. Even in our lifetimes it has varied.
    I am concerned though and believe we've now had enough time with old tech (fossil fuels included) to F it up. I don't know if it's possible to rally enough to fix it but we better try to do what we can. Populating another planet is realistically many generations away. And worse still, there will only be hatchery brats.

5. Trapper Badovinac

Trapper Badovinac Author, Writer, Photographer

Home Page:
    I've lived in the Rockies most of my life. I grew up driving in snow and schools very rarely closed.

A few years ago I was out in Seabeck, Washington for Thanksgiving. A few days before turkey day it snowed about 5" and the entire area lost power due to downed power lines. I remember driving to the gas station to get gas for my inlaws Honda generator and thinking "Have these folks never seen snow before?"

It was pretty clear many had no clue how to drive a car in snow. But, in fairness to them, I get videos from people who live in places like Colorado and Michigan, where they get plenty of snow, and those people don't seem to have a clue either.

Trapper

6. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

I don't care how much it snows here in Dillon. Dillon sits in a flat plate so getting around is fairly easy. The only hill I have is where the road crosses the RR tracks.

7. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

Here in Cornvalley, there are many residential areas sitting on hills so the streets up and down to the houses are fairly steep... after all, it never snows here so when they designed the city, they didn't worry about inclines.

Well... they do now.

The snow is a foot deep and expected to become deeper overnight. This means the folks who live on the hills us must park their rigs at the bottom and trudge up the snow to their homes... then back down again in the morning.

It's nice to live on a hill in the woods until it snows and the street is too damned steep and slick to drive up.

I think the last time it snowed this much in this part of the Valley was sometime back in the 80s. This is very rare for this part of the state.

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  8. JohnB

JohnB Active Member

Pretty shocked in CV right now. In the December storm Witham Hill was quite the show. I'm enjoying this storm with a fireplace and whiskey and not even bothering to go outside yet.

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  9. Mark Kulikov

Mark Kulikov Active Member

-18 in Polson this morning. Warmed up to 4 when the sun broke out.

Kyle Smith likes this.
  10. Kyle Smith

Kyle Smith DBA BozoKlown406

Our daytime high was colder than tonight's overnight low. How often does that happen!

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  11. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

I'm enjoying the climate change... change is good.

12. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Yesterday we had a high of minus 7. Last night it only got down to minus 11. This morning it is minus 4 as we speak. But it is snowing out. I think my truck will start today.

Gotta be nuts to like it and live here in Montana. But the 10 day outlook is for warming up. 30 degrees on the plus side is a lot better than anything on the minus side.

13. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

Here, it's supposed to warm up and start raining next week and continue to rain... that translates into the flooding act of the play. Lake Trump will form again in our backyard.

But we'll take the common rain over the freezing variety.

14. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

Is Oregon going to stock Lake Trump? I might want to bring my new
    Outcast float tube down and fish it. :rolleyes:

15. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

No, I won't let the ODF&W manage Lake Trump... they'd end up killing the native and wild species of everything in my backyard. ...and I mean everything. They'd call it " enhanced angling opportunities".... which is code for wiping out any wild and native species that stands in their way.

Olive bugger and Old Man like this.