America's Wacky Winter Weather

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Trapper, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

Well, we could use it for casting practice.

2. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

I don't need to practice casting... I need to practice catching :)

We were supposed to go on our annual coastal lake fishing trip next Saturday but now it depends on the weather and the roads.

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  3. Olive bugger

Weather and driving conditions don't seem to bother the fish.

4. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

We care in the middle of a heat wave. This is the first day it has been over zero in three days. It hit 22 on the plus side today, but now it's cooling off again as it gets later in the day. Probably cool off to single digits tonight. I can live with that.

5. GATOR9

GATOR9 Hey you guys

I don't know why any sane person would want to live with that. You may have to put crazy in from of Old Man.:confused:

6. Olive bugger

You have to excused OMJ. He has ice in his guides/

7. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

It's probably ice in my brain. Shit, it's been snowing since last night. But this snow and cold doesn't bother me. It's a lot better than icy rain. Besides I get to river fish all year around. But it's called fishing instead of catching. So I'm getting in lots of practice.

8. GATOR9

GATOR9 Hey you guys

Sad to say OMJ that some your Mt. snow has reached Yakima. We have had a winter weather warning of 4-6" snow tonight up to 4:00am Sunday. I would have to say that we have 12" or close now. I shoveled 3" this pm and now will have to get the roof rake out for tomorrow. I really do hate snow. If god wanted me to live in this stuff he would have made me a polar bear or penguin, instead of a dumb ass living in snow country. I really do hate this stuff. I know I could leave but with 8 g/kids all w/in two miles g/ma would not go for it, and I still hate this stuff.:(

Old Man likes this.
  9. Olive bugger

We got a dusting of about 3" last night. Anybody wants can come and get it. I don't need it.

10. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

Folks who have lived her all their lives have never seen so much snow... about 18 inches. Now it's raining and driving in the deep slush is much more difficult than driving in deep snow. Even in 4X4 the Explorer is all over the place. It's like riding a drunken mule to reach a main street from our place. I hate slush.

Here's the neat part. The wet snow is causing tree limbs to break around town and they are falling on power lines. So we keep losing power. I have no idea if I'll complete this post before the power goes off again.

I don't remember these type of power problems occurring in La Grande when I grew up there and it snows there every winter.

I was watching the Olympics last night and the power went off again at 9:00 and I said the hell with it and went to bed. Virginia read her New Yorker with a flashlight. They must have fixed the problem during the night because at this point, we have power again.

We normally take Mia on a forest hike on Sunday's but that ain't happening today.

If the power manages to stay on, I'll work on my Metolius slide show and hopefully, post it later today.

This is no longer fun.

(evidently we are the only people in our neighborhood with a snow shovel... we're the only ones who shovel off our sidewalk so the town folk walk in the streets instead of on the sidewalks... that makes driving while avoiding the walkers even more of a challenge)

Good times. Good times.

11. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

Woke up to 4 inches of snow in DAsh Point. It isn't unheard of but considering the proximity to Puget Sound, like right there on it, it was surprising to see that much. I hope it clears. Have a trip to the beach for cutthroat planned for Tuesday.

12. Olive bugger

They are talking warmer temps today, but we shall see. Supposed to freeze tonight so all that melting snow will have a nice ice ring for tomorrow. I love winter. Yeah, right. Remember that warm sunshine n your back as you roll cast to that pool right over there.......

13. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

I got a few more inches last night again. It's been snowing here off and on every day. I don't measure it because with the cold it seems to stay here forever. The temp is on the plus side of zero but it's only 14 today. But the sun is shining. So when I get done on this computer I'll get dressed and go shovel snow again.

This is the good life. Snow but no rain is good.

14. Olive bugger

Don't over due it Jim. Old fishers are hard to come by.

15. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

I don't overdo anything. My back won't let me. I have about 75 feet of sidewalk to shovel. So I won't work up a sweat.

I didn't have to shovel it. It is powder so I could just move it around with the broom.