An interesting view of the world by the WDFW

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by ChrisC, Apr 23, 2012.

1. ChrisC

ChrisC Active Member

I wonder what planet/alternative universe the section below was written (see page 3 of the new 2012-2013 rules) - one where closing all PS rivers to fishing on January 31st represents "success" and closing all secondary rivers and streams on the Coast to fishing is "the more conservative" approach (vs. abolishing Wild Steelhead Retention)?

• Coast

- With the success of the Puget Sound Stream Strategy

and the aim of continuing to offer more protection to juvenile

salmonids rearing in our streams, the more conservative

stream management strategy has been put in place in all

streams that drain to the Coast. The basic premise is to

close all rivers, streams, and beaver ponds to fishing except

as listed in the Rules Pamphlet.

2. Derek Day

Derek Day Rockyday

Strategy is too big a word for the current aproach. I would prefer that they don't pat themselves on the back for the "success" of the PS closure. Last I checked nothing got de-listed.

3. ChrisC

ChrisC Active Member

Likewise, I hesitate to think what WDFW defines as "failure". If this agency now has an agenda of putting a positive "spin" on negative outcomes that are, in part, due to it lacking any real regulatory authority and its current track record of appeasement (in the context of still allowing wild steelhead retention on the OP), I would rather see it dissolved and integrated into the DNR. We don't need license dollars and tax revenue supporting an agency that lacks integrity with its messaging to the public.

4. Jonathan Tachell

Jonathan Tachell Active Member

Im not going to get in the middle of this one. All I can say is I think most people on here know where I stand in regards to WDFW and there " success ".

5. Chris Bellows

Chris Bellows Your Preferred WFF Poster

it is almost comical that they think these regulations are that much more protective than the previous regs. they still allow far too much bait fishing and continue to allow the retention of resident trout which are the purpose of these regulations.

what is funny is allowing bait on streams with listed stocks and early closures (puget sound and strait) and continuing the same feel-good strategy on the coast (minus the listed stocks...for now).

6. shawn k

shawn k Member

How do you eat an Elephant? one bite at a time.
    The coast strategy is much needed. previously to these new regs anglers could fish bait for trout in waters that were selective gear waters during the winter steelhead season.
    Now the all the rivers that have a selective gear regulation in place they cannot fish for trout in thse areas with bait.

Imho you will never see Wild steelhead release on the op after the last go around. The wfdw got a big black eye the last time they tried it. The average person that hires a guide (not flyfishing) to fish these rivers is clueless to the plight of steelhead in this state.

7. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Close all Washington State waters to recreational fishing and achieve the pinnacle of successful fisheries management. I mean, that is the logical extension of the direction these management decisions lead. Like Chris, I'd like to know what WDFW thinks failure looks like.

Sg

8. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

All they need to do is take a peak in the mirror to see what failure looks like.

9. Klickrolf

Klickrolf Active Member

Do we realize that failure insures continued funding for WDFW, ODFW, USFWS, NMFS...and BPA throwing good money after wasted money to fulfill their legal requirements. These problems are solvable but not if success means you get a raise... real success means you're not needed anymore!!! And the same goes for hatcheries, if they were successful we could and should eliminate them.

10. Derek Day

Derek Day Rockyday

What?

Ringlee likes this.
  11. Steffan Brown

Steffan Brown ...

I think he's trying to say that WDFW is creating job security, by failing. Meaning, if they successfully manage our fisheries back to health, there will no longer be a need for them to stick around.

12. gearhead

gearhead Active Member

sounds like government thinking to me, city county state, really doesnt matter it is a common thought process of theses administrators.

13. Derek Day

Derek Day Rockyday

I got the thrust of it. I thought that klickrolf might have wanted an opportunity to flesh out the more confusing statements, possibly making them semi-coherent.

14. Chris Bellows

Chris Bellows Your Preferred WFF Poster

wdfw would be just as necessary with robust returns as declining returns.

15. Derek Day

Derek Day Rockyday

Also, with the time it would take to adequatley recover runs, everyone who works at WDFW would have ample time to collect their fat-cat salaries/raises/PERS 2 pensions and retire. Let's get this straight, they aren't F****** up becuse it ensures that their position won't get cut. They're just f****** up.