Anchor system pulley and clamp info?

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Kent Lufkin, Oct 4, 2009.

1. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Home Page:
    You know, if you guys really don't plan on repositioning anything, you can simply do as DaMurph did in the anchordrop. It's what I've been doing for years on my boats until Bill came out with his clamps. Which, like I said, he had specially made for him. They are super slick, and probably one of the better frame mounted anchor systems out there. Seen them all, like his for sure. I just don't care for the ratchet though. I prefer another pulley back to a cleat.

But on my older custom cats, I simply got a heavy eye bolt, bent it out enough to fit a pulley onto it and bent it back into position. Then did a mock test on my frame with line attached (I'd zip tie the pulleys to the frame). Check to see where I needed to adjust and then drill into the frame and put the bolt in. Key is to make sure you put the bolt in the correct angle so the eyebolt isn't getting too much pressure on the sides of it (you want it to pull down at the bottom of the curve of the eye, not on the sides). Had that setup on my old custom whitewater frame until I got an extra setup from Bill Day. That sits on the boat now, minus the ratchet (like I said I have a cleat on there for the rope instead).

2. AndreD

AndreD Member

Here are the pictures of my system (If I can get the pictures to post) I have a pulley in the front that brings the rope back to my roller cam cleat by the seat. I use a rope guide in the middle of the frame to avaiod contact with the tubes and frame, a second pulley in the back corner and a final pulley in the back suspended on the SS eye bolt. You should be able to make out the Yakima clamps that I am using.

3. Kirk Singleton

Kirk Singleton Capt Kirk

Home Page:
    nrs sells them.

4. DaMurph

DaMurph Member

Kirk,
    Do you have a direct link? When I was fabricating my system I looked everywhere including NRS and even they did not have a clamp like the Skookum clamp. NRS has however get a lot of my $ over the years. I just checked their website and could not find anything like the correct clamp.

5. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

I had a chance to visit Fisheries Supply in north Lake Union last week. I spent some time browsing in their amazing selection of sailing hardware and found the spring-loaded clamp/pulleys that DaMurph used on his boat. Sadly, at $135 EACH for those jobbies (the large size to fit the 1-1/4"od tubing on my frame, I decided that the cost for Bill's clamp/pulleys was MUCH more reasonable than I had originally thought. Back to the drawing board.

K

6. Freestone

Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Kent, check these out. It's hard to tell exactly what you need from your photo but one of these might work:

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...Primary Search/mode matchallpartial/0/0?N=377 710&Ne=0&Ntt=rail&Ntk=Primary Search&Ntx=mode matchallpartial&Nao=0&Ns=0&keyword=rail &isLTokenURL=true&storeNum=18&subdeptNum=58&classNum=595

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...Primary Search/mode matchallpartial/0/0?N=377 710&Ne=0&Ntt=rail&Ntk=Primary Search&Ntx=mode matchallpartial&Nao=0&Ns=0&keyword=rail &isLTokenURL=true&storeNum=455&subdeptNum=456&classNum=456

7. DaMurph

DaMurph Member

Kent, The Schaefer block and clamp should only cost you about $40.00. My whole anchor system came in about $80.00 with all blocks, clamps, rope ratchet and misc. hardware. Don't get the 1 1/4, get the 1" and get some longer stainless bolts, the 1 1/4 is 3x the price and it would be a sloppy fit, with the 1" you can get it really tight.

8. BUCS

BUCS New Member

what about a way for locking your anchor rope?????????

9. Jason Decker

Jason Decker Active Member

Home Page:
    maybe you could use a petzl grigri belay device?

they sell them at REI
    http://www.rei.com/product/729118

10. DaMurph

DaMurph Member

http://www.roperatchet.com/

This is what I used, it is also the one that comes with the Steelheader when you get their anchor system. It is not "drift boat" quality but it does just fine for my purpose.

11. Jim Wheeler

Jim Wheeler Full time single dad and pram builder

Home Page:
    How about drilling a 3/4" hole in the frame and inserting a 3/4" OD - 1/2" ID pipe in the hole and welding it to the frame and then using a Pocket Puller that has the jam cleat built into it? I've seen this done and it's a real clean installation with no pulleys to hang up on. The other would be to drill a 5/8" hole (in smaller frames) and fill the hole with a plastic reducer used in drift boat oarlock sockets to shim them down for smaller oarlocks. The problem is keeping them in place. They do tend to work themselves loose.

12. DaMurph

DaMurph Member

Yes, Thomas Pocket Pullers work well, that is what I use on my Osprey frame. As a matter of fact I have 3 of them and I only need one so I have two I would be willing to part with for $25.00 ea. PM if interested. These are not in classifieds yet as I do not need to sell them I am just making them available If someone reading this thread is interested.

13. AndreD

AndreD Member

how about something like this. Not exactly the same thing, but sure looks like it may work. They are clamp on oar locks. SS reinforced plastic.
    [​IMG]

Would have to make sure the shaft diameter meets the tube diamether though.

14. Shapp

Shapp Active Member

Under the seat system using leelock rope cam and a couple pulleys left over from an old raft anchor system I had laying around.

15. bfic

bfic Member

Kent,

Are you still looking for these clamps? I have two that I took off a pontoon boat. They have really cheap pulleys but the clamp looks the same. What diameter frame tube?