Another Full Lot Report and Observations

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Shawn Seeger, Mar 10, 2010.

1. Gorgefly

Gorgefly Member

She probably doesn't know how to cast and so that is all she can do is troll. Someone needs to teach her both etiquette and how to cast.

2. chrome/22

chrome/22 For him there whould always be the riddle of steel

Soon its gonna be these doing the Sun lakes flybys........

[​IMG]

c/22

3. Sageman

Sageman Member

Had to chuckle when I saw this. I knew EXACTLY who you were talking about before I saw the picture. We were fishing in a line and throwing into a pocket of fish and she would just kick right in there and then back out, getting within about 10' of our strike indicators. She would then work behind us. I had a take-under and set the hook, missing the fish, but my line flew back behind me and I tried to turn it into a recast, but she was about 10' behind me and my line wrapped around her second rod about 10 times. She seemed annoyed with me for hooking her. It was about the 3rd time she had gone right behind us, so I knew it was going to happen sooner or later.

4. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

Maybe she was trolling for a camp cook?

5. robl

robl Member

Saw one of those sweet F-18E do a LOW fly-by the lake on Friday. Really cool!!!

6. Scott Salzer

Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Griswald - good choice on the delete.

7. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Shawn, excellent report, photos and observations. Despite the down sides it seems like it was a great day and good fishing.

8. searundoc

searundoc New Member

Well it certainly was a spectacular weekend fishing in Lake Lenice. As I started out on Saturday morning I headed to the west end. I prefer this on a crowded day on Lake Lenice. It certainly is preferable to combat fishing at the East end of the Lake. I heard another angler say that he had counted 70 boats on the Lake on Saturday. The West End was good to me. The scattered anglers at the West End were sociable and congenial.

I am inclined to say that Shawn's post has a lot to do with perception. When I returned to the truck at the end of the day of fishing on Sunday I was dismayed to hear the frustration from some of my fishing colleagues. There were stories of other fishers that were territorial, loud, boastful and full of hubris. I also heard a story of a fly fisher that seemed to, with intention, entangled one of my friends with his backcast.

Hence, I remind readers of these posts that rudeness may be a perception or a projection.

Although I did not fish with the fishers of which she speaks, I travel and fish with them often. Amongst them, there is greater than a century fly-fishing experience. And, like me, most have encountered unwelcome feelings when plying the waters of the great state of Washington. We have each in our own way struggled to gain and earn the respect of our fly-fishing colleagues (men and women). I am certain that it is my colleagues of whom Shawn speaks because they were the only other women on the lake that I observed that day other than those who were clinging to the pontoon boats of their male significant others. I presume Shawn would prefer that women stayed home prepared to clean and cook his catch.

It is clear that Shawn does not use a radio to communicate with his colleagues. For my friends radio communication is very helpful in angling success. He alludes to an angler who repeated “over” during her communications with another angler. I would like to point out that this is a very effective with a two way radio. The angler of which he speaks does have significant experience in real battle before Lake Lenice and carries the rank of a colonel in the U. S. Army. Shawn may or may not know that the end of the communication is easily cut off without this accoutrement.

To all my male fishing colleagues especially Reda, Scott, Larry, Dan, George, and Rusty that may be reading Shawn's post, I understand that these don't reflect the opinions of all gentlemen anglers.

Shawn, I hope to encounter you on one of the stillwater fisheries sometime this spring. If you find me on a lake and ask what I am fishing with, I will give you the fly, and yield the water to you. If you honor me with a visit to my camp, I’ll will give you a cigar and a wee dram of scotch. And this is because it is truly only grace that trumps hubris.

Tight lines to you sir. Share the waters, it will enrich your experience.

Cynthia

9. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Observations like peple crossing into your back cast or casting pathways, loud converstations and getting unnecessarily close are one person's opinion of not such a good time. I'm one such person, but realize I can't control much about how others behave. Some might think this behavior is fine, that radios being used loud enough for the whole lake to hear, going through someone's casting path or getting up close and personal. I'm not one of those people. I don't expect water to myself at popular places. I would expect people to be courteous despite the level of pressure or congestion. That is just me though, I'm not wired right.

10. gearhead

gearhead Active Member

Boom! you rock searun. always funny how people deliberately seek out the most crowded waters, and then complain about the crowd. Can't wait to hear all the Lenore complaints between shoulder to shoulder, strippers and bobbers.

11. Trout Master

Trout Master Active Member

I dont see where Shawn did wrong. He was just pointing out certain things. Others seemed to notice this also. So gripe at everyone that complained.

12. Rick Todd

Rick Todd Active Member

After reading Cynthia's reply to Shawn there certainly is a difference in perception. I use 2 way radios when bird hunting and fly fishing. On a crowded lake, I keep use to a minimum, like maybe checking on when we should meet for lunch-jabber on a crowded lake takes a lot of the great ambiance away. As to intentional tangling with someone on a backcast, if someone is a stationary angler, all trolling anglers should say at least 50' (and 70' is better) clear on all sides or risk getting a fly in the boat-it is not only a matter of common courtesy, but right of way as well. On a crowded lake, it is probably best to not risk potential conflicts by trolling, simply anchor and cast to fish-the fish move around and there is no best spot in a lake. I re-read Shawn's post several times and I just do not see any denigration of women or women fly fishing. I'm sure if the angler in question had been a male, Shawn would have had the same response. Rick

Irafly likes this.
  13. Trout Master

Trout Master Active Member

I agree with Rick 100%

14. AuK9

AuK9 New Member

Any reasonable fisher that was on Lenice last Sat or Sun knows the real story.
    There were enough loud obnoxious conversations, radio calls, close encounters, and misdemeanor offenses to go around.

Both days there were fleets of p boats monopolizing popular areas of the lake. Perhaps the gal in the float tube was simply trying to move around without having to kick 70 feet out of everyone's way. (Like we all have a 70' backcast - LOL).

However, to target a single individual, including a picture in a public forum is simply unacceptable. The photo should never have been posted. We all need to be reminded of fishing etiquette. To do so in a diplomatic manner without singling out and targeting innocent fishers would be the right thing to do. As much as he must be enjoying this, seems like Shawn is not the one that we should be getting etiquette lessons from.

best to all this season.

AuK9

15. Wayne Kohan

Wayne Kohan fish-ician

Great report Shawn, I was there Friday and Saturday. Luckily I had no close encounters of a float tube kind, or of the reptillian kind. When the fishing is reasonably good, it takes a lot to wreck my day. I did note the noise of others talking at times. It is amazing how well you can hear across the water. But if the crowds turn anyone off, there are other lakes nearby to fish that get fewer boats.

Wayne