Another Good Day Using Floating Candlefish Pattern For Resident Silvers

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Roger Stephens, Jan 9, 2005.

1. Roger Stephens

Roger Stephens Active Member

Dec 19, 2003
    On Friday, I was again blessed with another excellent day skating a floating candlefish pattern(S.S. Candlefish) for resident silvers(13-17") and landed quite a few more fish than last week. For the past several years the floating pattern has worked very well for sea-run cutthroat and adult silvers(summer) but now it has worked far beyond my expectations for resident silvers this winter.

At first, the resident silvers liked a fast retrieve. After a while the fish were not as aggressive so I played around with different retrieves(moderate steady, quick short strips with an occassional 1/2 to 1 second pause, and fast retrieve with an occassional 1 to 2 second pause). A fast retrieve with "the pause" thrown in was probably the best.

The S.S. Candlefish has two 8mm sequins attached at a downward angle of 45 degrees behind the hook eye. The sequin is probably a main reason this pattern has been so successful tiggering aggessive strikes by sea-run cutthroat and silvers. It helps to keep the the fly skating/popping on the water surface. But more importantly, the sequin appears to make the S.S. Candlefish gyrate/wiggle from side-to-side erradically(or should it be "erotically").

If you are interested in how to tie the S.S. Candlefish pattern, I have posted a step-by-step narrative on how tie and fish this fly. This write-up can be found on this site under Patterns Forum.

The Lord has blessed me "with a free gift of compassion and helping others for which I am eternally gratiful". My hope is that I have helped others enjoy the fly fishing opportunities on Puget Sound which I so treasure.

P.S. If anyone catches a resident silver with a floating candlefish fly hanging out of its mouth, I would appreciate you returning the fly to me ASAP. I would prefer next day delivery service.

2. yellerstone

yellerstone Guest

check your private messages

3. Teeg Stouffer

Teeg Stouffer Fish Recycler

Jan 18, 2004
    Home Page:
    I am very proud to say that I have seen Roger's SS in action, and I can vouch that this pattern is not only very cool, it is as effective as he says. Much different on the surface than other popper / surface patterns I've seen. Not really a slider, but not as overt as many poppers, either. Slick.